It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: North Korea launches 2 projectiles into sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

North Korea fired two projectiles Sunday that "appear to be short-range missiles" into the sea off the eastern coast of the Korean Peninsula, a South Korean Defense Ministry official told CNN.
The launch took place shortly before 5 a.m. (4 p.m. ET Saturday), according to the official. The projectiles' estimated range is 500 kilometers (about 300 miles).

Well, that wasn't entirely helpful. In fact, I'd call it downright counterproductive. The least they could do is give a friendly "fire in the hole!!" to neighbors, like most civilized nations tend to do before firing weapons systems into international areas.

This is the second reported launch by North Korea in recent days.
On Thursday, U.S. and South Korean government officials reported North Korea had launched three projectiles from its southeastern coast.
Source

Now I dare say, this is starting to get outright rude. I mean, a pattern of just shooting things off into open waters without so much a note?

I DO hope they have full range monitoring so they are more than 'fairly certain' there is nothing their tests may HIT by accident. That would be hard to believe wasn't deliberate, even if purely innocent, when no one is giving those little warnings.

Perhaps Kim is getting ready to ask for more aid. Hmm.. Mid summer.. This isn't the traditional NK aid hunting season, is it? I thought that was more late Fall for heating oil and food?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

The real question is did they mean to hit the Ocean considering its a large enough target.

On a more serious note is this anything that was not to be expected considering their pursuit of a working short range/medium range weapons system?
edit on 29-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Someone needs to go bonk that pud in the head. I'll do it myself if someone ponies up the travel expense.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Naww... it's expected. I'm sure our side knew they were ready to fire before everyone on their side at the launch site itself knew. I mean, they aren't that far from US bases there and the radars they use are....not cutting edge. It wouldn't surprise me if we had real small drones just a few hundred feet over their heads while they prep the missiles.

It's just rude and not helpful to regional stability.

(I can just imagine a little dragonfly hovering down from the sky to sit right behind an NK troop to read the config screen as they program launch parameters.)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Nothing surprises me these days. Especially so with regards to NK or what we are lead to believe regarding the place.

edit on 29-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
..maybe they're practicing for a well-aimed strike on seth rogan?
time.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Just testing their latest fishing device, missiles with fish hooks. They were just trying to catch some food, honest!!

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I feel for those poor fish a wee bit of a heads up next time would not go amiss.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Oh crap, he's done it... he's.... declared war on the ocean. Just like that Roman emperor who ordered his soldiers to charge out into the water and stab it with their swords.

He just better hope the ocean doesn't retaliate. O.O

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: UNIT76
..maybe they're practicing for a well-aimed strike on seth rogan?
time.com...

Maybe...if that's the case I think that I will put in a request for the Kardashians the next time.

Let's face it, North Korea is no threat to anyone but their own people. Rather than us all being entertained by the antics of a spoiled brat, maybe we should start to put the pressures on about the re-education camps that half of the population has found themselves in.

kim-jung-un is a pathetic, narcissistic little dweeb....nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Kim vs. Godzilla?

Tough one... I guess I'd have to put my money on.....Kim. No mere lizard will survive that place. Now if Neptune gets pissed enough to come ashore with his Trident, the world will see a can of trash taken out and disposed of at sea!

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
sounds like they were shooting at ducks. I'm glad I am a mouse on the other end of the world.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me if we had real small drones just a few hundred feet over their heads while they prep the missiles.

This comment points to a key factor in this squabble. I am not sure if you meant it seriously or not and it does not really matter.

It seems that it is OK for the US to invade another's airspace with drones, fighters, U2s or anything else they choose as long as they have plausible deniability. But it is not OK for NK to fire something of theirs into vacant ocean.

No, it is not OK for anyone to fire missiles into the ocean but as long as the US and other countries such as China, Russia, Great Britain and many others continue to flaunt international laws at a whim or in their National Interest them you can expect NK and other to disregard international laws themselves.

I am just so sick and tired of this continuous two faced crap.

As long as the US, China, Russia, Israel, India and Pakistan have Nukes then they all should STFU about who else gets them.

P

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

There is nothing two faced on this at all. It wasn't that long ago that someone found a North Korean surveillance drone crashed in South Korea. In fact, it was posted on here. (maybe it was deliberately brought down..I don't recall). People made fun of how simple and small it was, then I cam across the Israeli Defense export catalog which is around online and found what was basically a variant but duplicate of the same drone.

That's not suggesting it was Israeli, but that those small and cheap generic drones are common enough now it seems, and no one talked about going to war over the DPRK's peeky-plane.

If we aren't running drones as close as we can to see what kind of missile and hopefully, warhead, is about to be fired? Then I want to know WHAT over 600 billion a year and many times what the next several nations combined spent on defense ..is going for. Little things like that should be a given to the extent we wouldn't be sure already.

After all, there is another factor here. The US doesn't have Headquarter units in Japan and South Korea for international relations. They're there to support the direct defense of those nations. So it's not just U.S. interests being followed here, but other whole nations that depend on things like that happening and being correct to see what is happening.

top topics

join