It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Iraq gains, Qaeda offshoot claims Islamic "caliphate"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

different sect who are not seen as Muslim by pretty much anyone...

this man you are looking at a sunni, same faith as the majority of Muslims on the planet, who has charisma according to this article

www.commercialappeal.com...

Just how much we have yet to see I suppose.
edit on 29-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, this is a worrying yet expected turn of events.

I had expected ISIS to cement their foothold in Iraq, without going for Baghdad, but i didn't expect them to openly declare themselves a caliphate this early on. Perhaps they are getting concerned that they can't take Baghdad, or don't have the manpower to continue the march southwards, and have thus declared a caliphate in the hopes of retaining land? This would seem likely, considering they have focused their attention on the Western areas of Iraq, rather than the Southern areas (disabling the Syrian/Iraqi border).

I'm not sure what to expect out of Saudi Arabia, as it is said that individuals within that state (or the state itself), have been propping up ISIS. Something tells me that if they wouldn't want a caliphate, they wouldn't support ISIS. This is especially so, considering the fact that ISIS was vocal in their goals.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
So i had a thought about who he would need to kill now to grow his power. Kill the members of parliment the UN has encouraged should meet on Tues to choose their new leader.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

I don't think this is possible. There are only two candidates, but I am sure they are well protected. They are IN Baghdad, a place al-baghdadi and his men are not.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

They are like 50 miles away and I didnt say candidates, I said Parliment. If you just claimed you were the king of a medevil caliphate would you let them vote?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

If the House of Saud comes tumblng down, then I believe the United States will have a very short period of time to insure a lot of spread out stuff does NOT fall into the hands of I.S.. Saudi got the "A" menu of exports. Not the Domestic quality, but a good bit above the general offerings at world arms shows. A lot of things I.S. wouldn't be good people or responsible stewards of having, in my humble opinion.

Keeping the Saudi Royal Family in power has been our business since 1991. Anything to keep them happy as a hedge against the fear of a repeat to the late 70's if things go badly wrong. Ever wonder why Yemen matters so much for U.S. drone and combat support focus? Who cares about Yemen itself...It's a simple nation with a low economy and little outside strategic position to offer. Position it right below the power of Saudi Arabia tho...and I think the Saudi's greatest fear ...until now.

If Al Qaeda does officially roll into I.S. to merge fronts from different directions? Well...What happened to idiot former Privates with funny mustaches to worry about? I hate highly educated enemies and Western educated at that. It means all the things we can think up, he is or has and either discarded by choice or eventually plans to get to. He's sure playing the history books right so far for method.

edit on 6/30/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I apologize but I am reminded of Locke and Demosthenes by this discussion.

This is a big deal folks. Baghdadi has bought himself a scratch-off lottery ticket. Sure, he spent the grocery money buying it, but oh boy, if it hits. Papa bought all the babies a new pair of shoes.

This guy is playing for keeps. I am going to really start to worry if another, but completely unrelated, "major story" breaks in the next 36 hours. Don't look over there, look over here.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Lotta bull# really.....just drop a few hellfire missiles on his ass.....no more Caliph.....

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

okay... so why is israel quiet.

Here:

www.forbes.com...

And confirmed by Israel:

www.dailysabah.com...

And others:

mobile.reuters.com...

So, the kurds are now selling oil to Israel... good move, possibly a new ally for israel in the region. Also, the relationship between the kurds and turkey are very good:

www.nytimes.com...

And with Turkey's open border and suspicions of aiding ISIS, those hostages according to some may just be propaganda to make us look the other way and ignore the new 50 year contract with the Kurds, as well as ignore the fact they might be using the Kurds as a buffer now.

So apparently, what is happening in Iraq is good - at least in the eyes of Israel - because with the unrest, comes a very real possibility of Kurdish independence which brings Israel a new ally. And for the US, there is now, with ISIS, a back door back into into Syria... and if Iran reacts against ISIS, possibly into Iran.

Israel sees this as nothing but good for them. Everyone also might be thinking they can control this....I wonder why... they must have something, some reason to think they could.
edit on 30-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

From 550,000 US personnel in 1991 there are now only 500 US advisors in Saudi Arabia.

Whilst there is no heavy armour in the Saudi arsenal there are 724 8 x 8 assault vehicles/apc's,68 air defense vehicles and 12 Chinese dong-feng ballistic missile launchers,but the prize would be the air force.
There are 48 upgraded Tornado's-still a good aircraft
84 F15 and F15e's thats as good as Israel has and
72 Eurofighter typhoons,thats better than Israel has

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I'm afraid making a martyr of the man personally is the last thing I'd want to do. It's a sticky thing.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

From 550,000 US personnel in 1991 there are now only 500 US advisors in Saudi Arabia.

Whilst there is no heavy armour in the Saudi arsenal there are 724 8 x 8 assault vehicles/apc's,68 air defense vehicles and 12 Chinese dong-feng ballistic missile launchers,but the prize would be the air force.
There are 48 upgraded Tornado's-still a good aircraft
84 F15 and F15e's thats as good as Israel has and
72 Eurofighter typhoons,thats better than Israel has

Link? This is a serious allegation.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LordOfArcadia

I got the information of wiki they track all the armed forces strengths,this is what they could capture if they invaded Saudi Arabia,and Im not too sure the Saudi's would fight any better than the Iraqi's,capturing this equipment and doing something with it though are 2 completely different things,whilst there are probably simulators and trainer variants of these aircraft in country your going to need either the existing airforce turn against you,unlikely as there is a high number of royal family members in the airforce or your going to have to bring in contractors to train the pilots which would be difficult but not impossible.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

www.nytimes.com...

I was doing my own search and found the same thing out.

Damn.

That is a whole heap of hardware sitting there protected by an untested military force. In fact, I'm embarrassed for not knowing that we only had 300 troops in the Kingdom.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Saudia's military strength was discussed in this paper here:

csis.org...

I'm sure that has upgraded itself since the paper to an extent.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

at this point in time it wouldn't matter, I don't think he has that many followers that his death would explode into anything... IN fact, many are saying there is a lot of hype in the media regarding the exact situation in Iraq. Some are saying it is not as bad as the media is saying it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Looks like Saudi will fall easier than Iraq, their followers are everywhere in the country and according to this story, infiltrated the military officers.

Source

“We are not on the border. We are here in Saudi and this is our land."

Photos circulated on Twitter in March that purported to show Saudi military officers holding up signs of support for ISIS.

So they are probably days away from having a modern airforce

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

No, there is something we are missing.

Obama is still, as of last week, trying to get more money to fund the Syrian rebels, and using ISIS as his excuse as to why they need help ousting Assad (unrest causing these dangerous factions, we must get rid of Assad to get rid of the factions... etc type BS)

So, we are funding our allies enemy? Someone who could potentially upset the balance in one of the US's best allies countries? That would almost be like funding the terrorists who would fight france... no reason for it when we know what france is like as an ally.

got to be something we are missing. They think they have total control of ISIS, or can control ISIS. Why?

The reports that ISIS is not as big as all that we are hearing, would be one reason.

A second reason, I don't know... cant think of any right now. A desire for total war? Not sane...

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
News from Lebanon ISIS has appointed a Mr Abdul Salam Al-Ardani Emir over Lebanon and plans to take Hezbullah on directly initially via suicide bombings.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join