It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook secretly manipulated moods of 700,000 users in huge creepy psychology experiment.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Stealin my stars and flags, tisk tisk
Oops I did put it in the search but it never came up with your post I guess I never used the right search words, if I just used the word facebook a million posts come up.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I think you might have missed the point, which is that other sites DO have more respect for your privacy than facebook. The others aren't perfect mind you, just better.

I'd accept that criticism if it weren't for Snowden. Hs revelation that the US gov secretly monitors and or stores everything makes the intent of sites pretty much irrelevant, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Not at all.

You see when Facebook resets your privacy settings, it affects whether EVERYBODY can see the stuff you thought you had made private to share with just friends. So this isn't about the government.

The government has a lot of our information for sure and that may not vary much from site to site among the major social media sites (though even here, the government may not have its hooks into some smaller sites yet, as I guess the site has to reach some critical mass before it becomes of interest for the government to worry about it).

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
ATS has a nice facebook page.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Im so glad i ditched facebook years ago.

Now i do this new thing called "going and seeing my friends" - I have loads to talk about and the graphics are amazing!

Sorta like that apple policy south park where *i know i know calm down, i realize south park is particularly silly but....* one of them gets an iphone and apple comes round and abuses them "because you agreed to it" (accepted without reading was the point).

Facebook does have me by the balls still as i cant delete my page because them i would lose friends new numbers and such, since they are round the world i cant just pop over etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You see when Facebook resets your privacy settings, it affects whether EVERYBODY can see the stuff you thought you had made private to share with just friends.

I get that. Thng is they did it secretly… and only got "found out" afterwards.

Sooo… what other secret programs are running, anywhere?

Oh yah, its called the internet. As far as I know everything ever typed on line is in storage somewhere, right?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Personally I don't care what type of stuff the developers at Facebook do as far as social studies. I have a Facebook account, but the only reason I have one is because all of my friends and family have Facebook accounts and its an easy way to connect with them and hear about family updates. I don't play the stupid games or surveys.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Sooo… what other secret programs are running, anywhere?

Oh yah, its called the internet. As far as I know everything ever typed on line is in storage somewhere, right?
The internet isn't a secret program. There's a service called archive.org that stores a lot of information from old, defunct sites, which is actually pretty helpful when an old link to an html page goes bad, though it usually doesn't help if the link is to a non-html file like a pdf, archive file, etc. It's no secret though.

Not everything gets saved, like chan boards where the new content is constantly replacing the old content before it can get stored, plus they block robots from archiving or even indexing the content, like ATS does with it's "Way Above Top Secret" forum.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The internet isn't a secret program.

I didn't say that. Rather what they are dong with the information is secret. And remember, whatever that is, you signed up for it.
Every site (and I mean every sitre) states it plain as day with two words… "third parties".

I'm not sure why were dancing on this issue. To me it is obvious. One of the reasons I held back from going online for so long is because I know they will do whatever they want with data garnered. Not all of the whatever is in your best interests.

Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Are we being spiteful and just disagreeing, are you that blind? Or is there some agenda here? Maybe its just wishful thinking. I smoked cigarettes for thirty five years, talk about denial.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Goodbye Facebook, am gonna delete myself from you for eva !!!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This mind control of the sheep has been going on for a long time. Now that the sheep are aware of it, how many will stay away from it? Not many. They'll still gather at the computers and continue to subject themselves to it. This should show the world once and for all that the creepy elite are using tactics against you, trying to manipulate you. These are some creepy people same as the ones who spy on Americans.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have a hard time believing that users of Facebook don't understand that Facebook is a free service that remains free because it makes money from their personal information. That is the hitch if you use any free social media service. There is no free lunch.

Any time you agree to a contract in which you didn't have equal say over the wording, then you SHOULD know that you are being screwed. And you SHOULD know if you have not taken steps to create and form an alternative that does not involve being screwed over, then you are to blame (among others) for the problem.

This isn't a fine-print thing. It is a well known fact. Google search is free only because they are exploiting the search terms you supply them with in every way imaginable. To use Google and then turn around and say they are abusing their information powers is just not correct. Its the implied system. If you don't like it, then make at least the slightest effort to seek alternatives.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If anyone thinks this stops with facebook you're naive. Who has the time to read all the user policies for all their online services? You don't need to gangstalk anymore you can auto psyop millions of people and shape their psychological profile over time without their ever knowing it's going on.

I noticed google was doing this yeard ago. That means youtube as well. I just don't care anymore. Basically the more you speak out and mention things that raise red flags the more you're punished by negative psychological implants meant to discredit you. When you temporarily break and start acting good again, you're treated with positive stimuli. It's rather effective.

I see where we are, and where this all leads to, but don't see a way out. I don't even try to fight anymore. Doesn't get you anywhere.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

If you don't like it, then make at least the slightest effort to seek alternatives.

Everything you do nowadays tracks your activity. Cameras, cell phones, payment cards, RFID, Bar codes…

If you work, hold an address, drive to work and shop, they know everything about you, even without having a cell phone and computer. Now lets add a chat arena that records your every jot, tittle and nuance.

Here's a pic of me, my house my dog, my car, my girlfriend, co workers , my favorite movie, political party, religion, ad infinitum.

All this is permanent record. What you buy where you go, who you talk to. Live in modern society, your life is an open book.

If choosing not to do these things openly that is its own kind of red flag for the establishment.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Im so glad i ditched facebook years ago.
Now i do this new thing called "going and seeing my friends" - I have loads to talk about and the graphics are amazing!
Sorta like that apple policy south park where *i know i know calm down, i realize south park is particularly silly but....* one of them gets an iphone and apple comes round and abuses them "because you agreed to it" (accepted without reading was the point).
Facebook does have me by the balls still as i cant delete my page because them i would lose friends new numbers and such, since they are round the world i cant just pop over etc.

When I first ordered six' commuters from Gateway for a company I worked for, I asked them (the manufacturer) to not install Microsoft Windows (they said no go). All I wanted was a Dos C prompt. I knew then something big was happening. I no longer had any control of manipulating an operating system bios. (I wrote code and was perfectly capable/ able to write code as to what the company wanted). Microsoft voided any 'tampering with'. Everything went out the "WINDOWS". You bought ME/Product cheap and so do not screw with MY operating system. Its okay to Jump on me here my perception was, those that are paying for the clones are NOT allowed to manipulate or customize to a companies needs; my first experience of having to live in a BOX copyright infringement which will violate and null any warrantees. It was so palpable at this time period You could actually TASTE the legal problems Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were having over Gates (behind Jobs back) illegal licensing of "WINDOWS" to clone manufacturers (it was all to stay in house with Apple). As time has proven there is/was no WAY OUT of outsmarting this technology as everyone is already plugged in. Facebook is insidious.
edit on 30-6-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

While I realize that, here is an example. Since I value privacy, I'm working with a friend to create privacy kits for computers. You install the kit and you get encrypted applications, encrypted messaging, and encrypted internet communications. If even 10% of people had the attitude "I'm going to do something about this myself" then we wouldn't have such problems. It would be like Democracy in action.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DEV1L79
Changing things on the internet is almost as easy as changing things on the TV, I would not take anything you read on the internet most especially Facebook which is a big duh on the manipulation part or any site including this one to serious. Because everybody has an agenda, and as the saying goes its easier to manipulate and fool a million people then it is to manipulate and fool one person, just like its easier to sell something to a group of people then one person in a one on one deal. It's mainly due to heard dynamics and how the human mind works due to evolution and other things.

But yes Facebook an outlet for social manipulation? Oh nos! Say it ain't so.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

Code breaking is as old as the art of code making. Don't see that ever changing.

Counter counter measures…

I compare it to Peeping Tom's. No matter what you do to thwart them, if left to their devices they will figure out how to peep some other way.

They are compelled by their addiction to the excitement of it. Likewise, paranoid, greedy, rich control freaks are never convinced that somebody isn't plotting against them and ever intrusive measures are required to thwart the "plotters" or terrorists, whatever they currently call the "invisible enemy".

None of these results will ever be good enough in their mind to catch all the bad guys as it were, because the more people they screw over the more real enemies they leave in their wake that need to be monitored and controlled.

If you apply that carzydom thinking the current "global dominance", bombing of other countries and world wide surveillance measures, we begin to see the playing out of the paranoia policies of the rich, terrified elite.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird
Believe me everything you post to or is replied to/by you is in a file with the NSA; ATS included.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DEV1L79

Where it's rather immoral that they didn't admit to the experiment immediately after and release the results to Facebook users (and other media,) yes the news and any other media can and does do this all the time.
I mean, anyone remember this?

Orson Wells 1928 Radio Broadcast "War of the Worlds" taken seriously as an alien invasion:
www.history.com...
Sure it was announced at the intro, sure as they knew most folks would miss it listening to another station's show.
"Sunday evening in 1928 was prime-time in the golden age of radio..." - yea, just like it is, and has been, for TV.

Anyhoo, as much as I dislike Facebook for many reasons, what many forget is that those of us who run our own small businesses depend on it. Even musicians, DJs, dance troops, magicians - absolutely have to have it.
In addition, I have no immediate family in Chicago, they are all over the country. It's nice to see pics of my nephew, neice, and other relatives periodically. I simply "unfollow" thos who post "negative" stuff, for the most part. If they want to message me about an event or other business, I'm still accessible. I can't afford to miss out on opportunities.

"Negative" is subjective as well. I don't like, but need to see, some of the "alternative news" posted there by friends braver than I.

The experiment may have been immorally conducted and hidden, but the results are in, so I'm just going to remember that when I post. I myself can be guilty of posting "negative" or cryptically hidden meanings in my posts, there, here, anywhere. So because I do care for those I call "friends" online, I'll just do my best to stay positive, because I know it spreads.

Peace all!

edit on 1-8-2015 by KAOStheory because: to explain link

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join