It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The inerrancy of the Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Many Christian fundamentalists will defend their belief in the inerrancy of the Bible, by stating that the Bible is the inspired word of God. This means that the controlling hand of God has assured the continuity of the perfect truth of His word. This means that each and every change in the Bible has been guided by the purity of God's word. From the medieval monk illuminating a manuscript to Kings seeking to shape the text to their will to a hapless copy editor translating a Bible from Swedish to Farsi, the hand of God has swept down to protect and guide his perfection.
There is only one way to explain this phenomenon. God has engaged in a massive series of miracles that can easily overcome human doubt. This means that any sceptic or doubter must face the notion that God works in mysterious ways, and by mysterious I mean miraculous.
So you have doubts about Noah and the ark? No problem- miracle. Jonah in the belly of a fish? Once again, it's a miracle.
So I hate to break it to all you sceptics. It's all a miracle. So what if it doesn't make sense? It's a miracle.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I submit this vid on confidence in the Word of God . It would seem to defy mans ability to maintain the integrity we find . Most skeptics when presented with certain timing of new finds only makes them run from the light of the word .

edit on 29-6-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

so does "God" require you to make this argument?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I'm not sure what your point is. Are we supposed to suspend our disbelief for the benefit of the Bible? Why not then suspend our disbelief for those scientific laws which contradict the Bible? Why is one more worthy and not the other?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: November5
Dear November5, If God required me to make this post, then that is new to me.
Thank you.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

So what compelled you to say it? It seems rather argumentative.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Or Christians call it a "miracle" to sweep away any doubt within their own minds. If you doubt the bible then you are sent to hell, so better not think about it too much and just call it a "miracle".

The chances of the bible passing through so many corrupt hands throughout history and NOT being manipulated in some way is pretty much zero. Why wouldn't those in power use something so influential to sway opinion and mood a certain way?

The bible is not inerrant, those who think so are living in denial.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity
Dear Afterinfinity, If I am a zealous believer in anything, then it is in the inerrancy of the scientific method.
Reason shall triumph over superstition and humanity shall progress. After all, even in the 21st century, we are still primitive.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: November5
Hello again Novermber5, If you want to argue that I am being argumentive, then I would argue with that.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

the problem for sceptics is that theisms answer to EVERYTHING is " god did it " and " its a miracle " but for the last 1500 years science has rervealed naturalistic explainations for so many phenomenon that were previously ascribed to " god " that a rationalist has to wonder why we should still blindly accept " god fid it " as a explaination for things that science cannot explain today

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

This means that each and every change in the Bible has been guided by the purity of God's word

i think it's more like a chinese whisper that got corrupted along the way..
it's what was first spoken that we should focus on, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

i agree it WAS a miracle,,

"So what if it doesn't make sense? "

I know, it dosen't.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Dear ignorant_ape, I think that the key is to realize that we have so much to learn. All of us are apes and we are all ignorant; We have come so far but we have an amazing journey before us.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome
Dear BobAthome. I think that one thing that all miracles have in common is that they don't make sense.
p.s. I seem to recall that your dunking bird can be credited to the great American comedian Steve Allen.
Steve and Eydie were the greatest!

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Dear Enlightened, You appear to live up to your name. Enlightenment leads to wisdom, and wisdom to truth. We are slowly beginning to grasp this truth of our reality.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

There are no inerrant translations, but 100% of the OT Hebrew prophecies and NT Greek prophecies have been preserved via syllable metering. Syllable metering was used to create a rhetorical pattern of speech to aid in memorization of the text. A month's worth of Hebrew grammar will allow you to test this for yourself. Psalm 90, all of Zephanaiah, Daniel 9, and Isaiah 52&53 are all metered. The meter is not limited to these examples, but thats all I know of, off the top of my head.

So while few of the Paleo-Hebrew manuscripts exist, the language and text has been phonetically preserved in the Masoretic texts (via the oral tradition), down to the syllable. The question becomes whether or not you believe it is the word of God. That can only be answered by God Himself on an individual basis upon humble inquiry and faith.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
Many Christian fundamentalists will defend their belief in the inerrancy of the Bible, by stating that the Bible is the inspired word of God. This means that the controlling hand of God has assured the continuity of the perfect truth of His word. This means that each and every change in the Bible has been guided by the purity of God's word. From the medieval monk illuminating a manuscript to Kings seeking to shape the text to their will to a hapless copy editor translating a Bible from Swedish to Farsi, the hand of God has swept down to protect and guide his perfection.

You're describing secondary inspiration. That is, at best, a minority view of inerrancy. Most Biblical inerrantists believe the authors were inspired, not that any further changes were inspired.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli
Dear FurvusRexCaeli, Secondary Inspiration sounds like second hand smoke. So inerrancy is only relevant to the original scripting of the Bible? How convenient.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli
Dear FurvusRexCaeli, Secondary Inspiration sounds like second hand smoke. So inerrancy is only relevant to the original scripting of the Bible? How convenient.

Funny you should say that, given how prone the old prophets were to inhaling natural gas.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity
Dear AI, Is this kind of like a biblical pull my finger?
2nd line: God forgive for I have sinned.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join