It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar ice cap expanding. Global warming called off. ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

originally posted by: liejunkie01
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I would avise you to research the topic.

The is evidence for more ice on the land and sea, hence the article I linked along with the op's.

rationalwiki.org...

This is a pretty biased source you provided..

Here is a better one
en.wikipedia.org...(blogger)

Watts has expressed a skeptical view of anthropogenic CO2-driven global warming, believing the Sun, not man, is the driver of climatic change.[27][28] He has said that in 1990 he had "been fully engaged in the belief that CO2 was indeed the root cause of the global warming problem," but that he later changed his thinking after learning more about the science and "found it to be lacking."[29] Watts more recently expressed his position as: "Now I'm in the camp of we have some global warming. No doubt about it, but it may not be as bad as we originally thought because there are other contributing factors." He further avers that what most bothers him about scientists and others who claim global warming is serious, is that, "They want to change policy. They want to apply taxes and these kinds of things may not be the actual solution for making a change to our society."[30] Watts is a signatory to The Heartland Institute's Manhattan Declaration which calls on world leaders to "reject the views expressed by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change" and abandon "all taxes, regulations, and other interventions intended to reduce emissions of CO2".[31] In spite of his climate change skepticism, Watts says that he is "green in many ways",[32] mainly to get the United States "disengaged from Middle East Oil."[33]

I think he makes a good argument.
The C.C. sham is just paving the way for A21 policies imo.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Funny you should post this. I left the ice cream out on the counter last night and it too increased in surface area.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Andy Watts is a climate denier. Of course he's going to spin that...

The Video Andy Watts Tried to Ban

The video is about a practical exercise, there nothing conclusive in it, but the link is about Antony Watts trying to claim copyright for his video, much of what had been broadcast on Fox or some mainstream TV. Of course the link says he was trying to ban it from being shown, but then the link has its own bias, so of course they would spin that.....

WUWT, is a blog, and there are differing opinions contributing and so has it's uses. Best of all, you don't need to agree with it, and of course NOAA, as shown in the video made a response on the faulty weather stations.
That doesn't happen every day.
Just to add, The US is actually cooler over the measured terms, and there are theories for that.
edit on 29-6-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's summer in the artic

Winter in the anartic

Shouldn't make a difference right!!

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rockn82

The Southern Hemisphere is at perihelion which means that the Northern Hemisphere is getting less energy from the sun which means we should be cooling.

The Eccentricity Cycle (Elliptical Cycle)

This is the longer cycle. About every 100k years. When the Earth orbit is elliptical we spend less time close to the sun in the span of a single year. This means we get less solar energy on an annual basis, and tends to cool the Earth.

According to Ralph Keeling, Director of the CO2 program at Scripps Institute of Oceanography: “The ice sheets melt when the ice sheet is exposed to more summer sunlight. This happens when the northern summer aligns with the point of closest approach between the earth and sun. The point of closest approach is known as perihelion. The earth/sun perihelion depends on how elliptical the orbit is. The more elliptical, the closer the approach.”
The Obliquity Cycle (Axial Tilt)

The Axial Tilt, or obliquity, varies to the plane of the Earth's orbit. This tilt, typically around 23 1/2 degrees can vary between 22 and 24 1/2 degrees. That means it can change up to 2.5 degrees over a period of 41,000 years. Increased obliquity can cause summers to be warmer and winters to be colder.

So when our orbit is elliptical and our northern hemisphere, which is mostly land mass is tilted toward the sun, we can melt our way out of an ice age pretty fast in fact it only takes a few thousand years. As we attain a more circular orbit and the combined effects of the tilt and wobble work together in their natural cycles the Earth has a chance to cool again and we go back into an ice age.

Inversely, decreased obliquity can cause cooler summers that in combination with other factors can help push the climate system into ice ages, when the this cycle is favorable for that condition.

We are currently in a decreasing phase, which under normal circumstances, without the excess GHG’s, would cool the climate system.
The Precession Cycle (Wobble)

Next is precession, or wobble. This cycle occurs every 26,000 years. This gyroscopic wobble of the earths axis is driven by tidal forces which are influenced by our sun and moon. The Earth is actually not perfectly round so the gravitational pull tugs the axis over time creating the wobble cycle. Now there's a technical term for you.

This wobble can cause a difference in the types of seasons one polar hemisphere will experience over the other. The hemisphere at perihelion (closest to the sun) will enjoy an increase in summer solar radiation but a cooler winter, while the opposite hemisphere will have a warmer winter and a cooler summer.

Currently the southern hemisphere is at perihelion, so they are enjoying warmer summers, but cooler winters, which likely contributes to snowfall in the hemisphere.

Link
edit on 6/29/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Watts, a weatherman, which no scientific background says ice is increasing.. So it must be true, right? This single weatherman is more knowledgeable than the thousands of climate scientists researching the issue..

Meteorology is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the atmosphere.

To become a meteorologist, usually you begin by attending a college that offers a degree in meteorology or atmospheric science, although sometimes people who have degrees in math, computer science, physics or engineering will attend a university to get a graduate degree in meteorology and will enter the field that way. Also, military weather forecasters in the Navy, Marines or Air Force can attend special training programs to learn their craft without obtaining a college degree. After college or training, you simply look for and apply for available positions in the branch of meteorology that you feel most interested in or best suited to.

So, unless Watts was trained in the military, odds are he has a degree in the science of meteorology in order to be a weatherman, especially one certified by the AMS. That counts as a scientific background as the discipline of meteorology counts as a STEM degree.

I can therefore only conclude that either rational wiki is irrational or that it allows anyone to edit it and someone has done so in an attempt to discredit Watts. For the record, my own local meteorologist, Mike Thompson, as also skeptical of Global Warming, and he also knows what he's talking about when it come to the weather, is AMS certified, and can read the big storms better than anyone at The Weather Channel. Is he also an idiot who doesn't know anything?

Meteorology has plenty to do with climate being the discipline of watching the prevailing weather patterns on a much larger scale than merely local in order to anticipate whether or not it will be rainy on Monday or only partly cloudy.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"What's Holding Antarctic Sea Ice Back From Melting?"

That's the Heading from NASA on this subject, It's still something under discussion, although there are some good theories not yet proven. More reading,

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There are some scientific views that the two polar caps see-saw between more ice/less ice as they head toward glaciation, too. In other words, we would expect that the Arctic may have less, but the Antarctic would have more. And then in the decades to come this trend would reverse until the next glaciation fully takes over. Whether those scientists have it right ... Who knows?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I guess what irritates me the most about all this global-climate debate is the term, "Settled Science".

It's settled science. Like there is nothing more to be learned or discussed.

It was settled science when the sun orbited the earth.
It was settled science when the earth was flat.
It was settled science when is was determined that witches floated.
It was settled science when women couldn't go to college because their brains were smaller.

If it is a "settled science" then why is there continued study?

Or is there still more to be learned?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
a reply to: lostbook

How can you say that?

The warming crowd has been using polar ice data to "prove" warming from the beginning.

This is the reason for the alarm.

Now evidence is showing otherwise and the warming crowd wants to spin it a totally different way, or totally ignore the evidence.

What total nonsense. Do you understand how sea ice forms? Do you understand the effect of layers of warm and cold sea water and its effect on melting.

The only "alarm" round here is how simplistic a deniers understanding of the data and mechanisms is assuming they have actually read the full original data and analysis. The polar caps Do not behave like an ice cube in a half of Macallans! I think I'll have a double sheesh..............

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Cleary this means that sea levels will soon drop to much lower levels.
I wonder if now that global cooling is a settled scientific fact, can they expand lower Manhattan further out since sea levels will drop?
I can't wait to go snow skiing in Alabama.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It was religion that trapped humanity in that thinking and science that proved otherwise.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

It was religion that trapped humanity in that thinking and science that proved otherwise.

Is it a settled science?

Do we, in fact, know everything?

Or is this simple hubris and arrogance on the part of humanity.

If it is settled, then all the scientists can just go home, paint water colors. Do some gardening. Become a chef.

Fact is, Ms. Kali, we don't know everything. Not by a long shot.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Once upon a time everyone thought the world was flat until someone sailed over the edge of the earth and came back a few years later with tails of distant lands.

In that time period if you questioned the flat earth theory you would be ridiculed and told you were crazy.

That is what I think about this whole debate. The Great Lakes were still frozen in spring, which is the first time that has happened in decades.

It would be a lot better if the "peer-reviewed" scientist would just come out and admit that they don't know. Instead of calling people who disagree with them "deniers", "flat earthers", and neanderthals that don't understand the "science".

I just hope the future government mandated CO2 scrubbers are stylish.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
It seems that the ice caps in Antarctica are expanding.
Could this mean that we are entering another ice age?
Should we create a tax to impose on all to combat the incoming coldness?
Maybe we should all do our part and increase your carbon footprint.
We need to raise global temps stat!
Link

The sea ice surrounding Antarctica, which, as I reported in my book, has been steadily increasing throughout the period of satellite measurement that began in 1979, has hit a new all-time record high for areal coverage.

Ah yes, but that would be because the ice isn't behaving like common or garden normal cold ice. It's complicated, but really intelligent people have tried to explain the complex chemical reasons for this record breaking growth of Antarctic sea ice, yet we can somehow have 'warm ice' contributing to GW? it didn't make sense to me really, but it's something to do with a bizzare chemical reation with red algae or something or another, with some strange chemical reations going on created by the unfiltered sunlight flowing through the hole in the Ozone layer.

It supposedly creates what they call 'polar ice'. That is polar in it's behaviour, not where it is.

On the surface the ice is bombarded with full spectrum sunlight and radiation, because theres not a lot in the way of Ozone in the Ozone layer above the region to filter it, because of the hole in the layer over that entire area.

They say this causes small but unusual mutations in algae (or something similar) and chemical changes within the ice itself, caused by the reactions between different elements within tiny deposits of environmental pollution over time and the unfiltered sunlight causes the ice to be cold on the bottom so the ice mass can freeze and expand, but also be warm on the sun exposed 'hot' surface. A polar opposite, polar ice.

So it's still on, Global Warming is still on, even with the growing ice caps...warming is still ongoing from the heat generated at the surface of the ice.

Please pay your carbon credits, or it's getting hotter faster.

This is complete satire and sarcasm, please don't take it seriously, i'm joking.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Funny you should post this. I left the ice cream out on the counter last night and it too increased in surface area.

This would be awesome as your counter would have to be made of liquefied ice cream!
Unless you just threw logic out the window and believe that sea ice comes from a magical portal or something.
Ice cream countertops, I'ma get me some of them!

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Ice cream countertops, I'ma get me some of them!

Yes! Do you're part in keeping the earth from turning into an inferno by keeping your thermostat below freezing! Every degree counts!

The arguments they are using to promote this nonsense are just absurd.

The climate has fluctuated and warmed before hand, but now in this past century is it humans causing the climate to fluctuate.

Expanding Arctic ice cap and frozen great lakes is enough to prove their theory incorrect, my bad though, I don't understand the "science".

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
They could re-dispatch Turney's ship of fools :>) a reply to: intrptr

Are you referring to this Brilliant Group of Scientist?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

We don't know everything, that doesn't mean we know nothing. We KNOW certain things about how things work, for climate we know:

Earth gets it's energy from the sun, life as we know it exists because of the sun, climate as we knew it wouldn't have existed without the sun.

Earths orbit, wobble, rotation and tilt cause variations in how much of the earth is in or out of the sun every day/season/cycle. This is typically what causes ice ages and warm periods.

Gasses in our atmosphere affect how much energy we receive, retain and let escape from the sun. Some gases reflect energy not allowing it to Earth's surface, some do nothing and some make that energy bounce back to Earth's surface after Earth has radiated it back outward. Not enough of those gases and it's too cold, too much of those gases and it's too hot (for us, not necessarily for all life).

The sun goes through minimum and maximum cycles... sometimes the sun gives more energy, sometimes less. Though in our history of observing the sun and extrapolating it's history before us, it hasn't fluctuated enough to give us significant change in climate. The sun has been giving us a relatively steady stream of energy, not enough change in it to cause an ice age nor a warming period.

The Earth 'breathes', this is known as the carbon cycle. The norm for Earth's carbon cycle... the norm that allowed life as we know it to crop up has changed and is continuing to change. Data collected from tree rings, ocean sediment and ice cores show that when greenhouse gases are high the planet is warmer, when they are low the planet is colder.

Ocean oscillations also factor into global temperatures but that seems to be relatively short term effects.

Differences in earths orbit, wobble and tilt as well as greenhouse gases are the two major factors of climate change and ocean oscillations for short term effects...it doesn't seem likely that unknown factors exist.

What we don't know and why it remains a subject needing to be studied is sensitivity. We have only estimates for that, we don't know exactly when we'll reach a tipping point only that we will if we don't change our ways... because all those other knowns I listed, it's none of those causing global temperatures to rise.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Watts, a weatherman, which no scientific background says ice is increasing.. So it must be true, right? This single weatherman is more knowledgeable than the thousands of climate scientists researching the issue..

Obviously you have not done your research.

Just Google Antarctic sea ice increasing.

There are a multitude if articles for you to catch up on.

New data to chew on.
edit on 29-6-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join