It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God of Peter, the God of the Old Testament

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That is a very big IF, I also find it amazing that so many are willing to accept The Bible as 100% gospel while ignoring huge amounts of other books,scriptures,tablets,hieroglyphs,monuments and so on.

For the creator to deny the existence of other 'Gods' would be denying itself.

Just like you and I are a part of The Creator so are other Gods.

link   
a reply to: windword
As I remarked at the beginning of the equivalent thread on Jesus, I was re-affirming the point because other people had begun denying it.

link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: Akragon
Christianity teaches theres only one God... which I agree with, but the so called god of the OT was not HIM

Jesus thought they were the same God, and everybody else in the New Testament makes the same assumption.
I've already published the thread on what Jesus thought, and it would be possible to go through the other books in the same way.

I disagree actually... Jesus knew the the OT god wasn't his Father, but like he could just blurt it out... He would have been executed by the very people that followed him...

We don't know what Jesus actually thought... only what people wrote about him, and he clearly does not point to the same God as the OT showed...

IF God is love as the NT says... Theres no reconciling the OT god with the Father...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JokerThe1st
The makers of Rolex watches can legitimately deny the reality of "Rolex watches" made by other manufacturers.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
I refer you to the relevant thread, linked in the OP, where I spell out how Jesus identifies his Father with the Old Testament God of Israel in almost every word he speaks.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

And i'll remind you that I was the first to reply to said thread, so its hardly necessary to refer me to it...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Haha leave the Rolex's alone already. They can not deny the reality that Rolex's made by someone else are not Rolex's, you are mistaking a Legal matter with reality. The only thing that make's fake's fake is the law.
Not a profound truth of any kind.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The makers of Rolex watches can legitimately deny the reality of "Rolex watches" made by other manufacturers.

They can deny that the watches were made in their factory, but they can't deny that fact that they are watches and that they tell time.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JokerThe1st
you are mistaking a Legal matter with reality. The only thing that make's fake's fake is the law.

Not so. If Joe Bloggs on the market stall makes a watch and puts a Rolex label on it, the fact that the watch was not made by the Rolex company is an objective reality. The law does not create the fake nature of the watch; it just enforces rights based on its fake nature.
The Rolex analogy makes my point clearly enough, and I'm sticking with it.

edit on 27-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
But they can deny the validity of the "Rolex" label.
In the same way, the Biblical God denies the validity of the "god" label when used elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

There is only one God, it doesn't matter if its the new testament or the the old testament. To think that they are not the same God goes against Christian & Catholic biblical law of "You shall not worship any other God, for I am a jealous God"

God was mean & vengeful in the old testament & then calmed down for the new testament. Why exactly that is, I'm not sure but I'm glad he calmed down & stopped with all the smiting, turning people to salt & flooding an area. (He didn't flood the world because there is 0 proof of that)

God was not mean and vengeful in the OT, God was a Judge operating under the law that was set down for humanity.
The law, the commandments needed to be adhered to, if they are broken then asentence was carried out, God passed sentence.
If a modern day judge is forced to apply a death penalty due to overwhelming evidence and state laws, is he mean & vengeful, or just serving the community.
God was never mean and vengeful, He always planned to send Jesus

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

But they can't deny that other watches still get the job done. Besides, there are better and more expensive watches than Rolex. Rolex has legitimate competition.

The Rolex brand, of your analogy, is equal to the brand of gods, then. Zeus, Baal and Osiris were all watches, that worked just as well as any Rolex, if not better.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

God was not mean and vengeful in the OT

Really?

Deuteronomy 12:22
For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

23 I will heap mischiefs upon them; I will spend mine arrows upon them.

24 They shall be burnt with hunger, and devoured with burning heat, and with bitter destruction: I will also send the teeth of beasts upon them, with the poison of serpents of the dust.

25 The sword without, and terror within, shall destroy both the young man and the virgin, the suckling also with the man of gray hairs.

26 I said, I would scatter them into corners, I would make the remembrance of them to cease from among men:

27 Were it not that I feared the wrath of the enemy, lest their adversaries should behave themselves strangely, and lest they should say, Our hand is high, and the Lord hath not done all this.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In this analogy, being the Creator and having an objective reality must be included as part of "being a Rolex", because the Biblical God specifically denies that they apply to the others bearing the "god" label.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Christianity teaches theres only one God... which I agree with, but the so called god of the OT was not HIM

Jesus thought they were the same God, and everybody else in the New Testament makes the same assumption.
I've already published the thread on what Jesus thought, and it would be possible to go through the other books in the same way.

I disagree actually... Jesus knew the the OT god wasn't his Father, but like he could just blurt it out... He would have been executed by the very people that followed him...

We don't know what Jesus actually thought... only what people wrote about him, and he clearly does not point to the same God as the OT showed...

IF God is love as the NT says... Theres no reconciling the OT god with the Father...

Is this the OT God that created the world and all living things, Adam and Eve in the paradise and said "It is good", walked with man and had a relationship with mankind.
or dont you believe that.

I am somewhat ignorant of what you believe, I would be interested in understanding your views.
I could and would never accept them, just want to understand your point of view.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Look, Rolex didn't invent the watch. The biblical God didn't create the universe either. There is more than one god in the Bible. The Bible and the biblical God say so. I don't know why you deny this.

edit on 27-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Rolex invented the Rolex watch.
The Biblical claim is that there is only one genuine God, in the sense of Creator of the universe. The God who speaks to Israel claims to be that God.
That is how readers of the Bible have always understood its meaning.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
"God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods."

Psalm 82:1

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
The other "gods" are not identified by the Psalmist as creators of the universe.
That would have clashed with Isaiah, where the Biblical God identifies himself as the only Creator of the universe

edit on 27-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Rolex invented the Rolex watch.

But not the clock, time piece or watch.

Watches evolved from portable spring driven clocks, which first appeared in 15th-century Europe. Portable timepieces were made possible by the invention of the mainspring. Nuremberg clockmaker Peter Henlein (or Henle or Hele) (1485-1542) is often credited as the inventor of the watch.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Biblical claim is that there is only one genuine God, in the sense of Creator of the universe. The God who speaks to Israel claims to be that God.

The Biblical God made the claim to be the greatest of gods. Remember the contest in Egypt? The Israelites believed that there were other gods, otherwise, they wouldn't have made the Golden Calf and worshiped Baal.

edit on 27-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join