It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God of Peter, the God of the Old Testament

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In the early chapters of Acts, when Peter was preaching to the Jews, the God he was presenting to them was the God of the Old Testament, the same God they had always been worshipping.
In a previous thread I was making this point about the teaching of Jesus;
The God of Jesus, the God of the Old Testament
I was demonstrating from his own words that the God he called Father and the God of the Old Testament were one and the same God.
He saw the relation between God and his people as a continuous history, beginning with Abraham and coming to a climax with himself.

It can be shown from his own words that Peter has the same view of Israel’s relation with God.

He quotes the words of the Old Testament God as the words of his own God

The speech on the day of Pentecost, in the second chapter of Acts, is built around a series of appeals to passages in the Old Testament.
There is the prophecy from Joel, in vv17-21, about God pouring out his Spirit upon all flesh.
From one of the Psalms, in vv25-28, he quotes the assurance of David that his soul would not be abandoned in Hades.
There’s a quotation from another of the Psalms, in vv34-35, about sitting on the right hand of the Lord.

He claims the promises of the Old Testament God as fulfilled in the actions of his own God.

The promise in Joel, that “I will pour out my Spirit and they shall prophesy”, is being fulfilled in front of their eyes, because the disciples have been filled with the Holy Spirit.
The confidence of David, that he would not be allowed to remain in Hades, is claimed as fulfilled in the person of Christ, when the same God raised him from the dead.
While the call to sit at the right hand of the Lord was fulfilled in the ascension of Christ.

In the next chapter, in fact, Peter makes the same claim for Old Testament prophecy in general.
“But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ should suffer, he thus fulfilled…and all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and those who came afterwards, also proclaimed these days”-ch3, v18, v24.
And the same prophecies are also the source of what Peter expects from the future, when he says that Christ must remain in heaven “until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouths of his prophets from of old”-ch3
V21.

Peter sees the whole scheme of prophecy and fulfilment as part of “the definite plan and foreknowledge of God”- ch2 v23.

He identifies the Jews as the people of God’s covenant

He tells them, “You are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant which God gave to your fathers” (ch3 v25).
God’s promise was addressed to them first, though they won’t be the only people who benefit;
“The promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him” (ch2 v39).

He does not tell them they should be worshipping a different God

Instead, his response to the question “What shall we do?” is to tell them to repent of all the sins which have been alienating them from the God they know already.
“God, having raised his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you in turning every one of you from your wickedness” (ch3 v26).
Nor do the Jews themselves react as to one calling them to worship a different God,

Every time he uses the word “God”, he fails to say that he means a different one

On the contrary, he specifically describes him as “the Lord OUR God”, meaning the God that he shares with the Jews who are hearing him speak (ch2 v39).
In the next chapter, he spells out the relationship even more exactly, putting the question beyond all doubt;
“The God of Abraham, and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus” (ch3 v13).

Peter speaks for the apostles at large in understanding the relation between God and his people as a continuous history, beginning with Abraham and coming to a climax with Jesus Christ.
One and the same God, from Genesis to Revelation.

edit on 27-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The only God I know... is the Lord God... whose tabernacle is draped in blue (depression), purple (obsession), and red (frustration).
The three comedies of the old testament which happens to consume many who linger in their wickedness. After they have been put to shame!
Those colors are real... and represent the demise of men who in their madness succumb to the Lord God.
These colors run rampant in the minds of men who are in the midst of the land wherein "milk and honey" is found.
Such is the play upon words! The Lord God... does know... that white is the color "dread" and that yellow is the color of "fear". Fear and Dread are essential to God's plan. So... it goes with the white and yellow banner symbolic to the holy church.
Milk is white... and Honey is yellow. "FEAR & DREAD!"
It adds to the comedy of the tabernacle. A thing we find in mortal men...

My point is... that the Lord God is a comedian... he is of irony!

Whilst I stray from the topic... mind you that I know... from Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac... comes the debt against the Lord God. He paid in full... with the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!

Peter... is aware of the funnies.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

There is only one God, it doesn't matter if its the new testament or the the old testament. To think that they are not the same God goes against Christian & Catholic biblical law of "You shall not worship any other God, for I am a jealous God"

God was mean & vengeful in the old testament & then calmed down for the new testament. Why exactly that is, I'm not sure but I'm glad he calmed down & stopped with all the smiting, turning people to salt & flooding an area. (He didn't flood the world because there is 0 proof of that)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower
Yes, I agree.
But as I remarked at the beginning of the "Jesus" thread, it was becoming necessary to make the point again, because some people have been trying to separate the two and distinguish between them.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

There's more than one God in the Bible. Why else would "God" warn against other gods? Why did "God" challenge the gods of Egypt in a contest?

Then men will say, 'Because they forsook the covenant of the LORD, the God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt. 26'They went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods whom they have not known and whom He had not allotted to them.

When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he divided mankind,
he fixed the borders of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.b
9But the LORD’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
biblehub.com...

If there was only one God, then the biblical God wouldn't have been jealous, as all other Gods would just be a manifestation of himself. The biblical was territorial, and NOT the God of all people.

edit on 27-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
I think the line being taken in the Old Testament is that the other gods being worshipped are imitations, not the real thing.
He wants israel not to worship other gods for the same reason that the Rolex company wants people not to buy fake Rolexes.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I don't think the Gods of Egypt were imitations. They were real to the people of Egypt and treated as real by the Israelites as well. The people who worshiped Zeus, worshiped a real God, the God that they were allotted, according to Deuteronomy 32.

edit on 27-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
What the Biblical God is saying (e.g Isaiah ch44) is that he is the one who created the universe, and the others did not.
He is not acknowledging the objective reality of the gods of other nations, and he is claiming they exist only in the minds of their believers.

edit on 27-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The OT god being Jealous is a dead give away to his actual status... among the many other ones of course

And when he saw the creation which surrounds him, and the multitude of the angels around him which had come forth from him, he said to them, 'I am a jealous God, and there is no other God beside me.' But by announcing this he indicated to the angels who attended him that there exists another God. For if there were no other one, of whom would he be jealous? (The Apocryphon of John)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

There's more than one God in the Bible. Why else would "God" warn against other gods? Why did "God" challenge the gods of Egypt in a contest?

Then men will say, 'Because they forsook the covenant of the LORD, the God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt. 26'They went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods whom they have not known and whom He had not allotted to them.

When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he divided mankind,
he fixed the borders of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.b
9But the LORD’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
biblehub.com...

If there was only one God, then the biblical God wouldn't have been jealous, as all other Gods would just be a manifestation of himself. The biblical was territorial, and NOT the God of all people.

God is talking about people pretending to be gods.

"'Cause I am God, yes I'm the real God
All you other gods are just imitating
So won't the real God please stand up,
Please stand up, please stand up?"

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
He is jealous about "other gods" in the same way that the Rolex company are jealous of fake Rolex watches.
They are not admitting that "other Rolex watches" exist, just pointing out that other watches exist with the label Rolex.
Similarly, the Biblical God is telling his people not to be deceived by the label "god", when placed on things which are not the genuine article.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Yet both Jesus and Paul confirm the existence of "other gods"... And the OT god being Jealous of those gods puts him decently equal to them...

Jealousy is a purely human condition... A true God would not be Jealous of his own creation...

Thus there must be one that is higher... which the OT god was ignorant of...

Which explains the tyrannical attitude

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Is there such a thing as the God of old testament?

Could it be that there are multiple entities in the Bible?

What happened to all the god's before the Bible?

There are negative and positive entities within the bible, the messages within speak for themselves.

understand a lot of scripture comes from channeling,clairvoyance,mystical experiences which means there is potential for not only error but picking up on negative beings as well as positive.
Try not to make the mistake of assuming that all these people had direct experience of the creator. some of there messages will be tainted or confused.

Not to mention the multiple translation errors in the English language versions and the Latin, There is a reason orthodox Jews have a problem with modern bibles.

''I believe with perfect faith that this Torah will not be exchanged, and that there will never be any other Torah from the Creator, Blessed be His Name.''

Notice the word creator is used, not the Lord or any other designation, the above is from the 13 principles of faith.Even this being in English may have lost meaning.

I will also make an example of ''The Lord of Harvests'' being in earlier Babylonian and Sumerian culture

Sumer:
Enlil was known as ''The Lord of Harvest'' and a storm god much like Yahweh

Babylonian:
Ishtar was known as ''The Goddess of Harvest and War''

Just some thoughts on the subject.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
No, they accept "other gods" only in the "fake article" sense that I've already described.
When the Rolex company points out that some watches wearing the Rolex label are fakes, they are hardly accepting the "equality" of the fake articles, and they are not accepting the reality of the fake articles as "Rolex watches".
Similarly, the Biblical God is saying "There are articles in the market carrying the label "god", but they are not the real thing". That is not "accepting equality".

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JokerThe1st
What happened to all the god's before the Bible?

The God who speaks to Israel in the Old Testament claims to be the Creator of the universe. If he is telling the truth, then there were no previous gods (as he says himself).

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

God presides in the great assembly;
he renders judgment among the “gods”:

---------------------------

“I said, ‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’
7But you will die like mere mortals;
you will fall like every other ruler.

biblehub.com...

Osiris and Zeus weren't people claiming to be gods. The biblical God laid no claim to the people of Egypt or the people of Greece. They weren't his people, not did he reach out to them. They had their own gods, the gods that were "allotted" to them, not fake gods.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Well that's your opinion bud... Its pretty obvious both confirm other gods...

And considering most anything can be a "god" depending on what one worships... people have worshipped angels and demons in the past and present as God... The OT god was simply one of those... an entity posing as the true God

Christianity teaches theres only one God... which I agree with, but the so called god of the OT was not HIM

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The God who speaks to Israel in the Old Testament claims to be the Creator of the universe. If he is telling the truth, then there were no previous gods

He is most certainly NOT telling the truth!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Christianity teaches theres only one God... which I agree with, but the so called god of the OT was not HIM

Jesus thought they were the same God, and everybody else in the New Testament makes the same assumption.
I've already published the thread on what Jesus thought, and it would be possible to go through the other books in the same way.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

If you believe that there was only one God in the Bible, then why did you author this thread affirming that Peter used the same God as the OT? There is no other God, right?

Wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join