It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megalodons: Could They Still Be Lurking In Our Oceans Today?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ok let's try this again. Everything I'm using in this post, is what I posted the first time. I don't think anyone read what I said.

Megalodons do NOT exist

1. Sharks regularly shed teeth, but we haven’t discovered any megalodon teeth that indicate they were recently lost.

2. Fossil evidence from megalodons suggests that they preferred shallower, warmer waters and would have inhabited areas rife with large prey needed to sustain their populations. They also used coastal areas as nursing grounds.

3. So, we’ve only explored a tiny portion of our oceans. This is true. But the VAST majority of ocean life lives in the first few hundred meters, where the sunlight can reach. Below that, life becomes highly specialized and large animals are rare. Megalodons were HUGE and would need a constant supply of large animals to feed off. Maybe megalodons didn't go extinct but evolved into a smaller, specialized shark capable of living deep in the oceans? Well then that wouldn't be a megalodon anymore.

4. One photograph in particular which stirred up a lot of controversy was an image that was presented in a Discovery Channel documentary (which was fictional) showing the dorsal and caudal (tail) fins of a shark next to a submarine, spanning a whopping 64 foot. The image was fabricated. The documentary was in fact a "mockumentary", which was stated in a very small disclaimer at the end. Plus, 64 foot (almost 20 meters) is larger than the estimates of the entire body size of megalodons! This was only dorsal fin to tail! The “scientists” that appeared in this documentary, entitled “Megalodon- The Monster Shark Lives,” were also actors. Sorry.

To sum up: No Megalodons do not exist today, they went extinct or evolved to be smaller (meaning that they are not a Megalodon

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldetimehockey4
a reply to: TheBlueShiroux

I'm also fascinated by megalodon, I've looked up quite a bit on it, but I lean towards it not existing anymore. That's just my opinion, I would love to be wrong. I don't think I'm wrong about Kanye however, when I say he's the biggest douche on the planet.

I really hope ypu are right. I wouldn't like to swim in oceans with sharks over 50 feet in lenght swimign around xD

Anyway, the only animals we know that are huge i nsize and live in big deeps are the colossal squids, whomever they anatomy is completely different from other fishes. They live where light can't reach and the ATM pressure would break other fish organs.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I suspect not would be the answer. It is entirely possible however that there are other large species of shark/whale that we may not have discovered yet. Vast regions of the oceans are almost totally unexplored (at a seabed level). If anyone has proof of something large down there that we don't know about it would be the assorted militaries of the world. They have had submarines patrolling the entire planets oceans at one time or another over the last 100 years or so. All of which have a wide range of underwater detection equipment on board. Somewhere in all that data from sonar etc would likely be evidence of strange things that we have not yet discovered. Whether any of that data is available for analysis though is extremely unlikely. National security/politics/military secrecy and other BS...

<< 1  2  3   >>

join