It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

From my point of view true science and spirituality is connected as logic and creativity. It is when both are balanced that you get the best results. There is no dogma or faith there. Only seeking of understanding the truth of everything to the highest ability you can at your current state and making sure your current understanding is validated by your experiences.

Many spiritual people have a lack of being able to logically quantify their experience and need more scientific logical thinking. Many scientific logical thinkers cannot see thru their own self bias and will therefor not break thru their own faith barrier limiting their understanding. The have forgotten to test everything even if it seems very improbable.

But yes it is good to try to keep the thread somewhat on topic.

mediation in a UFO/aliens

Not sure I 100% agree with this one, since there are people who think UFO/Aliens is a manifestation of consciousness and therefor connected to the third eye but that is a discussion for another thread.

edit on 27-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hi Shane!

I have a thought.
I tend to believe that a lot of people don't read the entire thread from the beginning.
I always do, before I post a reply.

I go through each thread, and star a reply on it's merit.
I really do believe that a lot of good replies aren't even read, and that's why they don't get responses...or stars.

I could be wrong.
I could also start another sentence that begins with "I"....lol....sorry, just noticed this.
I am done. (might as well be consistent)

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Why do you care so much? Honestly the stars are nothing and can't be used on anything. If you really need that kind of validation then I think you might have some personal issues to deal with, not to be mean honestly.

I could careless if I'm starred or flagged. I know I don't flag or star like I use to and when I do it's because I just felt like it. People get too wrapped up in stars and flags like they are some status symbol. This site should be about content but it seems people care more about collecting internet stars and flags as trophies. Nobody outside ATS really cares and most of ATS doesn't care either. The only people who seem to care are those who are seeking the attention.

As for the quality of posts...well I agree. It is not the same as when I joined and I see we joined the same year. I read more than I post on here because quite honestly it's too much like FB with many people and it's nothing but attacks and rude comments and everything gets off topic. It is quite annoying.

I have come to terms that ATS isn't what it was when I joined and it took a while but I still enjoy the site for the friends I've made and the members whose threads I stalk
There are still great threads out there just find the members whose threads you enjoy and follow them, friend them. See what they post. I ignore most of the crap on here just by reading certain forums only and following certain members.

Dont get too discouraged over stars. Even if someone doesn't star you chances are someone has read what you wrote.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Triple post.

Page refreshed whilst typing.
edit on 27-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

link   
There are cliques that star each other, regardless of content and probably posters using multi accounts, it has certainly appeared this way to me on many occasions.

If you aren't part of a clique, which is preferable in my opinion, and you disagreed with or angered a part of that clique you might find the entire clique or individuals either gangs up against anything you post or refuses to star your posts or you might find your threads ignored. You can imagine if you disagreed something from a mod or site owner how some might react, there are a lot of posters looking for mod favouritism or that they want to be mods.

I post on ATS in an ethical way, I don't troll for stars or flags though sometimes I might star posts more than I should, so I am refraining from starring posts now.

I think perhaps the more flippant side of ATS has prevailed recently since the more mobile friendly ethos appeared, it seems some of the thread quality isn't as good and some are just throwing out mindless stuff for flags.

link   
Double post.

Page refreshed whilst typing.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
One thing that I see, especially in long threads, and I don't think that I am atypical in this regard, Is that I will generally only read the first and last page of a thread. It's difficult and time consuming to find a gem of a post in 10 pages of circular logic. I can't commit that much time to this site.

Your posts no matter how strong you might think they are, will be buried in a matter of minutes in a popular thread.

That's why I tend to exist on the fringes of ATS, I will participate in a thread that draws my interest for a few pages, but by that point these threads tend to devolve into dumpster fires.
edit on 27-6-2014 by LuXiferGriM because: edit

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What I've noticed is that the right wing conservative movement on ATS is currently at the top of the heap.
Star and flagging anything even remotely reminiscent of Rush Limbaugh . Eventually all the
right wingers will be mods and they will wreak havoc on anyone disagreeing with them.

For flags and stars, post about gun rights, anti gay, anti obama, or just about anything macho with a tough guy approach.
Also an avatar with the constitution, flag, guns, military guys or rabbits seem to help in the quest for stars is what I've noticed.

Another way to get lots of stars and flags is to become a "debunker" any thing concerning ufo or the paranormal; just use the
phrase "it's a rock, japanese lanterns, birds or swampgas" and invoke the holy name of Phage, that's usually good for a few stars. Also calling the OP a hippy, newage communist works quite well.

I like stars. I get so many warnings and point deductions; I can use all the help I can get.

edit on 27-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

S&F!
Oh the Irony

1stly ATS is global and the world wide web is 24/7/365 BUT the planet is interspersed with people and not randomly but instead they are all housed in similar timezones.

There is an ebb and flow of members logging into and out of this website and that can be viewed by refreshing the Forums webpage every few minutes and reading who is on the who is on list [mods are in bold on the list].

There is also ebb and flow of the threads themselves ... and so posting to the last post of page 7 [20post per page] in a quickly growing thread will probably be seriously overlooked by our fellow ATS members [they are looking for the next page number to go to the next page].

So posting a thread on ATS just after the AFTER MIDNIGHT radio show [for an example] has just finished is probably not a good idea because everyone [at least in the USA] would be logging out of ATS and going to bed.

Its about timing and placement ... LOCATION!! LOCATION! LOCATION!

So make sure the topic placement is in the correct forum! This ensues that the article is targeted to the correct demographic of ATS members.

Then make sure to post that thread at the best time for it to be received such as early morning [6-7am] Eastern Standard Time in the USA and your thread will probably catch all the ATS members waking up and hoping onto ATS to check on the days new news.

Finally hop into the ATS chat room and advertize the thread by linking it with the topic displayed in the ATS chat room so that your fellow ATS chat members can become informed and possibly partake in replying [+starring and flagging] that thread.

For many flags ... have a really good thread title!

Example: All Roads Lead To Rome!

For many stars ... use wit and sarcasm whilst posting the facts.

Example: All Romes Lead To Roads!

For many replies ... have a contentious subject matter issue regardless of which side of the fence you are taking

Example: At The Crossroads of Catholicism: The Vatican Offers To Buy All Of Rome!

I hope this information helps you to source greater and better feedback in future!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i get that from other forms mainly computer forms

ill go and help someone start to finish fixing a problem 0 rep got 100 something post mostly all fixing a problem 4 stars what the hell man i fixed a complex problem not even +1 so ungratful lol

but thats not hear generaly hear i have little to contribute

and iv got more starts hear grr now im kinda mad
edit on 27-6-2014 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

May I offer a suggestion?

The next time you author a thread, invite some people via U2U to read, comment on it. It's actually done quite regularly here.

I get a few to a dozen invites a week, on average.

Cheers.

beez

Now I'm butt-hurt...

Nobody ever ask me to read their thread.

Well, have a great weekend everyone but me.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I made a thread once where I got 13 stars and the person below me who only said "lol that's awesome" got over 100.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Omg lol that's awesome.
(we can make this two for two right?)

And OP, had glance at your examples ... one person opened with a comment about USA being the world police being a cover story for the masses, you opened with saying people in the Middle East are fanatics etc ...

One comment is packed with positive political meaning, close to home value, a call to action and isn't really negative. The other is negative towards a bunch of people that the majority of ATS doesn't really have any connection with for the first paragraph.

Realizing some of that can make you a better writer, but it's also this giant rabbit hole where you realize that if you write something political or present your information through a certain lens people will smack the star button till it wears out before you even finish typing your post.

I've written posts that were completely wrong before but had a great opening statement. The stars come rolling in but secretly I'm crying inside. A lot of the star smacks are based on the first two sentences of any post, and once you realize that its probably a game you don't want to play.

So I dunno, brush up your writing skills, but don't go all Alice and Wonderland on us.

This post was brought to you by the moon's gravitation pull.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I made a thread once where I got 13 stars and the person below me who only said "lol that's awesome" got over 100.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That literally did make me lol. I don't know why... I thought you were exaggerating until I clicked your link. That is nuts!!! (No pun intended)

I have seen that happen a few times. I don't know why it happens though.

I think maybe it's just an automatic reaction for some and they just star it because everyone else has. It's weird.

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: beezzer

May I offer a suggestion?

The next time you author a thread, invite some people via U2U to read, comment on it. It's actually done quite regularly here.

I get a few to a dozen invites a week, on average.

Cheers.

beez

Now I'm butt-hurt...

Nobody ever ask me to read their thread.

Well, have a great weekend everyone but me.

Join the crowd! It never even occurred to me to do that before. I will sit with you at the end of the lunch table...

edit on 6/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Bring on the truth. I can handle it, i am a big boy.

Ok here we go. You sound like a little whiner. You complain that others are star whores but then complain that you aren't getting any stars yourself. You should be posting in a thread just because you want to get your opinion out there not for stars and flags. If that is the reason why you are posting then you seem to be a star whore yourself.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores.

I don't think anyone is.

The star system is broken. It's been broken for many months. I think maybe a whole year. (I can't remember for sure). The star count under peoples' names is wrong. That means the Karma is wrong as well.

Stars really don't mean anything. A person can make a great post with lots of good information, but if people don't want to hear it, they won't give it a star. It's really just an agreement thing. I'd like to see the stars go away. I think it pushes 'group think' which isn't good.

All we should have under an avatar is flags and post count. Maybe applause count and active warnings. Nothing else is needed IMHO.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Whilst reading through the thread, I don't get the feeling that most post simply
for stars?

However I did get to thinking how often in 'real' life we make use of the ' *'
system.

For instance in pain a doctor will ask from 1 to 10 how bad is the pain?

When I was at work we had yearly assessments to note our successes and any
salary increments we would get. We would sit with our area managers and go
through our work being assessed from A to D with variations of a '+' or '-'
I was invariably around the B's and remarked that I was aiming for an A where
as I was told "no one gets an 'A' to get that you would have to be Sales Manager"
To which I replied .... If it was literally unobtainable it shouldn't be there??

Then there are school exams where some get recognised for their excellence
by having an additional '*' after their A's

And again most recently I was looking for a 'tradesman' to do some work for me
and the problem of finding someone who wasn't a 'cowboy' ( Lol we've all been
there at sometime?) or self assessed 'over qualified'
I went on a site 'Rated Tradesman' ..... Now how do I choose
they all had
'star' ratings (being the cynic that I am - ratings can be manipulated? LOL!!)
I ended up on deciding between the quote and my personal judgement of the
tradesman (not too pushy, and seemingly confident)

NOW comes the conundrum .... He asked me to give him a rating!! LOl!!
with my background I surely couldn't give him 5 stars would 4 stars be enough for
the job he did? ..... so I gave him 4 and a half stars and a good write up.

So in a way the OP has got a point .... .... .... ....

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Bring on the truth. I can handle it, i am a big boy.

Ok here we go. You sound like a little whiner.

No star for you. You went strait for name calling instead of being constructive and helpful.

Did you not read my OP where i state i want a constructive thread that could help me with my skills?
To help me make sure my pieces are seen? To make sure my voice is heard?

You went strait for name calling instead of being constructive and helpful.

I do not want them as i have said about fifty times in this thread. Maybe the point was lost on you. Maybe you didn't read all the posts that the other members and i made that discussed this very same issue.

Its about many things like me feeling like my posts go unnoticed and others swaying the flow of the thread with multiple accounts. Its about the broken star system.

originally posted by: buster2010

You should be posting in a thread just because you want to get your opinion out there not for stars and flags.

Indeed, that is one of the reasons i post here. Also for the feedback and to learn from others.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yoursare actually correct you know

(post by shaneslaughta removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well....interesting.

My reply to you received quite a few stars.
However, you didn't even acknowledge me...and jumped down to buster.

Isn't it kind of rude, as the thread's OP...to not address each member who replies directly to you?
I don't know. If I author a thread, I try to respond to everyone...even if it's just a bunch of short replies to them in one rather lengthy post.

I'm kind of feeling ignored now. I thought I made a valid point.

Yes...this has been a poke at you, regarding this thread (although kind of tongue-in-cheek, with humour) I'm making a point, about validation.
We don't always get it, do we?
jacy

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join