It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Its more complicated then that. I'm here for lots of reasons, one of which is to learn above all else.

I want acknowledgment but more than that i want feedback on my threads and posts.

I see a few possibilities here. Either i have an inferiority complex....good possibility.
My posts and threads are not as good a contribution as i feel.
Members think my mind is set in stone or that im unreasonable and unable to see logic.
People are throwing off the flow of threads by misusing the star system knowing some just read the starred posts....my paranoia going rampant.

All of the above?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
From my way of thinking. With the current change from a site thinking outside the box and questioning things to a social media site where many are totally indoctrinated by MSM propaganda then getting a lot of stars is frankly being apart of the ones who cannot see thru manipulation. The day I get a lot of stars here is the day I have become indoctrinated and lost any way of thinking critically and asking questions that many people do not want asked.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

Btw i still don't understand why we are supposed to want stars and flags, it just seems like a silly popularity contest to me.

I dont want them, i want the conversation, the feedback, I want the recognition of my contributions and i want peer learning.

I guess part of my issue is my mind isn't wired like most. I require a pat on the back when I'm going in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

Rack up all you can.......

Not my intent at all. Ive said it on many threads. I hate the star system.

I did make this thread to have a discussion. Just goes to prove my point on the flaws of the star system though.
This thread developed more into my personal feelings and maybe some issues i carry then from the actual topic though they are related.

This threads purpose was to let people know that i want freaking feedback when i make a contribution. That it helps me learn and develop myself and my content.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
From my way of thinking. With the current change from a site thinking outside the box and questioning things to a social media site where many are totally indoctrinated by MSM propaganda then getting a lot of stars is frankly being apart of the ones who cannot see thru manipulation. The day I get a lot of stars here is the day I have become indoctrinated and lost any way of thinking critically and asking questions that many people do not want asked.

My personal feelings are this. Some of my most ignored comments and posts are those that seem to be way outside the normal realm of thinking. Does that mean i am crazy or does that mean i see things differently than most?

I cant help but feel like i shouldn't contribute in those areas after my posts go unnoticed.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If you want a lot of stars and flags write a thread where people who are very patriotic on this site can get they feel good and feel that they belong to their community with some Youtube video that pushes the emotional strings in them. It will not be something that makes you think outside of the box or see thru manipulation but it will get stars and flags on an extreme level.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

One mans view of crazy is another mans view of genius.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

LittleByLittle....

I am surprised that you feel that all out of the box thinking has lead to you not receiving stars, flags, or merely being ignored. Some of the most revolutionary ideas I have ever posted have received member attention, most of it good, or at least constructive!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

One mans view of crazy is another mans view of genius.

I seem to be looking for confirmation that i am not whacko and that others can see my thought process too.

I never noticed it before but i actually have a lot more reasons for being a member here than i first thought.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

May I offer a suggestion?

The next time you author a thread, invite some people via U2U to read, comment on it. It's actually done quite regularly here.

I get a few to a dozen invites a week, on average.

Cheers.

beez

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I made a thread once where I got 13 stars and the person below me who only said "lol that's awesome" got over 100.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

LittleByLittle....

I am surprised that you feel that all out of the box thinking has lead to you not receiving stars, flags, or merely being ignored. Some of the most revolutionary ideas I have ever posted have received member attention, most of it good, or at least constructive!

I said getting a lot of stars. Since I normally do not create threads I do not get any flags
. I care about the discussion normally more than the stars and the threads I am really interested in that is about telepathy/synchronicity and higher level awareness is not really everyone cup of tea are they?

TrueBrit. I do like your common sense in the threads I see your contributions in.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Let''s see if I can get a hundred for saying this situation is priceless.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Wow beezzer, that's a terrific idea. My mind does not make connections like most people do.
Such an obvious thing and yet i missed it completely.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

God ....

IS THAT ALL THIS WAS ABOUT?

DAMNIT Shane.

Dude. I just wasted the better part of an hour second guessing myself. Look, all that any one of us can do about anything around here, is to do our level best, run our contributions through whatever logic is available to us, triple check our facts and our thoughts for flaws and fallacies, and post them regardless of response frequency. Honest to God, I thought you meant that there was an ACTUAL problem around here.

I do not mean, by the way, to belittle the feelings of insecurity you might be having. God knows we could all use a little reassurance in our lives, but you need to get some perspective friend!

There are big things afoot in the world, maybe even in your little slice of it, and while you are worrying about recognition here, you could be missing something drastic in your non digital life. The star and flag system is open to abuse, but so is every other system of member peer review that could possibly be implemented. All you can do is make sure that you only star good posts, and flag threads which add to your understanding of the world, feature good discussion, or are well crafted in some way.

If other people choose to be star whores, well, officially, screw those guys. The fact is, you need to say what you need to say on a given topic, and if, once you write a post, you are happy with its quality, what it adds to the ongoing discussion, then post the thing and accept whatever happens next, whether it is something or nothing.

That is how the site works!

ETA:

When you post something that needs a response, then that's one thing, but when all I could post in response is, I could not agree more, I will try to avoid posting purely to congratulate a post author. I do not always succeed in avoiding that, since sometimes the thoughts of fellow members are breathtaking in their wisdom or some other positive merit.

But if you post something which is just solid stuff, then a star is a better response than wasting bandwidth on a back slapping party! God love you sir, but there are just bigger things in the offing than passing out cookies willy nilly!
edit on 27-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added detail

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

God ....

IS THAT ALL THIS WAS ABOUT?

DAMNIT Shane.

Not just that, but its about everything that i discussed in this thread. I think there is more still locked inside my cranium just itching to escape.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
THANK YOU ALL.

Your words of wisdom and viewpoints on the matter have given me a fresh perspective and eased some of my angst.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I made a thread once where I got 13 stars and the person below me who only said "lol that's awesome" got over 100.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL!!! yes ..... but he hasn't got your 'stamina'

Five weeks after that post ...... and he hasn't been back !! LOL !!...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I think, a lot of the time, that things here simply boil down to a misguided popularity contest. It seems that certain members merit stars and flags, not because of the quality of their contribution, but rather simply for existing.

The entire Internet has turned into a popularity contest. In the good ol days, the sage advice was to share as little as possible about yourself with the potentially dangerous netizens.

Now it's all LOOK AT ME! Here's where I am! Here's what I'm doing! What I'm eating! Who I'm screwing! What I just bought! What I look like with various Instagram filters applied!

Attention whoring is the most popular use for the Internet these days. Second only to that is proselytizing with not-so-clever religious and political memes.

Everyone knows that the Internet is really about telling other people how stupid they are!
edit on 2014-6-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Gee thanks LittleByLittle !

Well you are right, those subjects are pretty niche in terms of their appeal. In my experience, those who have a particular lean toward scientific thought, logic, and reason, tend to shy away from those sides of the forum. I think the important thing is, that if one is scanning the forums, and sees a topic which interests one, it is important to keep the discussion relevant to the topic as much as possible.

If I roll up in one of the more esoteric faith and theology forums, and start E=Mc 2ing all over the threads there, that would be lame and inappropriate. Similarly, if I have crafted a science and technology thread, and someone comes into it talking about meditation and out of body experiences, and a meeting they had with their swami, I am not going to be best pleased about it, because the two subjects have nothing to do with one another ordinarily speaking.

I think therefore, that members ought to give respect to their own areas of interest, and to others, by making as sure as possible, that their contributions in every thread, are as relevant to the thread as can be. That way, every subject and area of expertise and interest, gets the space it needs to grow and thrive.

For example mediation in a UFO/aliens thread? Nope. DNA results in a ghost thread? Nope again.

Do you see what I mean?
edit on 27-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added appropriate beginning to post.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join