It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
it's just like life...
you say something
and then 5 minutes later, your snot nosed little brother is repeating the same thing
getting all those freshly baked cookies..

i'd just like some decent coconut biscuits..

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

What on gods green earth is a coconut buscuit?

Coconut Busuits

Looks good! Omm Nomm

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Good rant man S+F

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
"Star Whores?" A Bowie album right? Haha. In my opinion there are those who are concerned with stars and flags, but here is the thing...when you have a system like that it is only natural for people to sort of obsess over it. Especially in a capitalist country, lol. I do not think that in itself is a bad thing, as long as a thread or post has some substance. I try not to write extremely short posts or posts that contribute nothing at all, and if I truly do not have an opinion I tend to not post anything. I have authored very few threads specifically because I believe a thread should have much substance and information, unless it is posing a question or something like that. Not all threads need a ton of information.

So what I think about your situation is that if you truly believe your threads and posts have substance, then do not worry about what anyone else says or does not say. I have learned that there will usually be a handful of people that get what you are trying to say, whether they star or flag something or choose not to. Someone will appreciate it, agree with it, or disagree with it. It will get some type of reaction from someone. I have seen threads and posts which get many stars or flags and it seems strange, but I honestly pay very little attention to something like that. It is not important in the least.

I said that I feel it alright to want stars or flags, but obsessing over it would be a mistake because it really does not matter. I am not saying you are guilty of such a thing, and I understand that if someone feels a certain way it is hard to simply say something and get them to see things a different way. But attempting not to focus on a certain thing would probably help to make it lose its importance, and might help in shifting focus elsewhere. So I completely understand what you are saying, but I think that feeding into it will not help matters.

If someone creates a thread with the hope of getting praise I do not necessarily feel that is bad, as long as their thread has substance. And if I learned something or felt the information was presented in a good way or whatever, then I too will star or flag as a way to show appreciation. I suppose that was the intent of the system to begin with. But of course such a system will not function precisely as intended. Stars and flags have become a bit more like currency in some respects I suppose, in that they have a value. Like money should be a reflection of how hard someone works but is not in the real world, stars and flags should be a reflection of the value of information...but it doesn't work out that way. So I can see how this could upset someone, but at the end of the day what difference does it make? Or to put it another way, we do not have much control over something like this, so what is the point worrying about it? We could just acknowledge the inconsistencies without letting it negatively affect us. It might seem wrong to ignore something you cannot change, but why let something negatively impact you if there is nothing you can do about it, when being oblivious or ignoring it allows for less negativity on your end? Did that make sense? Sometimes I cannot actually get my thoughts across the way I intended to. I do not mean to insult you or anything like that, or to suggest that you are wrong or anything.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I understand. I take no offense to it.

For me Its the conversation and information i seek. The positive reinforcement that is a gentle nudge in the right direction. A way to judge myself on the content i create and what have you.

The star system is broken, it does not work as intended. Its a fashion thing above all else.

I'm not here for fashion or to be a follower. I'm here to express myself and to learn from others viewpoints.

Feedback is key, and the star system is not in any way useable for that.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

The same happens to me, (but then again I am never popular) I would think the Op would star simply because you give your imput to their thread...why not.

I also noticed on a recent thread every single post was starred usually numerous times all except one person and all of their posts were not starred until I read the thread and starred them, even though the persons posts were very interesting and well worded.

Also just to add, people are so rude, suggesting offhand that others are liars or such, if they think so why not just keep it to themselves as this is "discussing each other and not the subject!'

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

"Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores."

I see what you did there.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Dont worry op, if you want to get replies to your post just make sure you say its obamas fault, that you love your guns, and gay people make you feel yucky.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Dont worry op, if you want to get replies to your post just make sure you say its obamas fault, that you love your guns, and gay people make you feel yucky.

Where have you been, gay people must now make you feel all warm and fuzzy. Guns good Obama bad...check.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

The same happens to me, (but then again I am never popular) I would think the Op would star simply because you give your imput to their thread...why not.

I can see doing that if they are all on topic with the thread. So many posts drift away from the topic though.

Im guilty myself.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: thishereguy

"Is It Me? or are you really a bunch of star whores."

I see what you did there.

Not sure i follow, are you implying some title trickery?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes I did.
The title was suggesting that people were star whores, and the OP was about people not giving you stars.
I assumed that, following usual practice, the title of the thread was supposed to be proved in the OP, and I could not see how the logic worked.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Damn...

If what you say is even five percent accurate on this matter, then I have no idea anymore how to rate my contributions to this site. I thought I was doing ok, but apparently people just hand out stars for a laugh, and flag for no good reason. That makes me wonder if everything I understand about my level of contribution is wrong. I mean, I do not gain stars at a massive rate, as far as I know, but now I'm questioning everything I post, and I ALREADY did that as a quality control measure, so it looks like I'm stuck in a navel gazing situation right now.

I don't care about stars, all I care about is the quality of what I post, and keeping my contribution level as high as possible so that I do not become a black mark on the sites history. I take my membership here very seriously, and I need to know that I am not part of a problem. I thought I was doing a decent job, but now... I mean, how many stars and flags do I have, that I should not have?

That's just great.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta

originally posted by: Char-Lee

I can see doing that if they are all on topic with the thread. So many posts drift away from the topic though.

Im guilty myself.

Well sometimes that is a matter of opinion also, maybe some of them think they are on topic, the ones who fill the thread with one line jokes is always the winner... see I tried it myself above!:-) works everytime.

So star from OP at least for first post (if it was not just a put down) for trying to contribute and from there participants star as they agree and feel the post deserves.
edit on 27-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So I want to make sure I got this crystal clear

You say in several posts in this thread

"I do not want stars or flags"

and then several other times

"I want recognition and feedback"

I hate to say it but I think therein lies your problem.

Your own quote

No, its not the stars, but the acknowledgment. I could care less about them. I like to know my voice is heard and what people think of it.

It sound to me like that's what you care about is acknowledgment. Why? If you raise even one ear, one eyebrow then you've completed your journey. Don't come here to be acknowledged because you're only going to be disappointed.

Post your content for the good of the content. Let the readers decide whether or not they like it.

From the Tao Te Ching

"Therefore the sages:
Know themselves but do not glorify themselves
Respect themselves but do not praise themselves"

So do just that. Post your content, don't seek acknowledgment. Seek to be original, thoughtful and let the others, sheep and leaders alike to decide their role in your content

Otherwise it's just an exercise in futility that sounds like you need to have recognition or feel that you or the battle aren't worth it

Don't worry about acknowledgment...I did that for years...it only serves to harm you

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I apologize for any miscommunications. I'm simply implying that some members are here creating multiple profiles to sway the natural flow of a thread and that i feel like some of my posts are ignored because of reasons pertaining to it.

Also that the star system is flawed and does not accurately reflect content quality at all.

Like so many thread browsers do. Skim through and hit the ones with stars. Because somehow people think quality is reflected in stars, that can easily be swayed.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Good rant

Acknowledgment is nice, always. But to wait for stars and flags to assume that we are read is ludicrous. I've been on here almost as long as you have and I noticed that stars (especially) are irrelevant (most of the time) to a post or a reply. I know some members here that write real quality threads or posts that hardly get any flags or stars. I also know some members that would make a thread about having gotten up in the morning, having had eggs and bacon and then having let out a loud one while sitting at the table, only to blame it on the dog...and they'd receive tons of flags and stars...as I said, irrelevant.

If you know you post quality at most of the times, be happy. You're part of what ATS is all about as far as I know.

S&F (just to be on the safe side)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
a reply to: DISRAELI

I apologize for any miscommunications. I'm simply implying that some members are here creating multiple profiles to sway the natural flow of a thread and that i feel like some of my posts are ignored because of reasons pertaining to it.

Also that the star system is flawed and does not accurately reflect content quality at all.

Like so many thread browsers do. Skim through and hit the ones with stars. Because somehow people think quality is reflected in stars, that can easily be swayed.

I was under the impression that multiple profiles was against the rules and respectable members would use them. but then again i have integrity and would expect others to have the same.

Sorry you feel that way shane, a little recognition is nice once in a while and your threads are good even if i dont post in them.

Btw i still don't understand why we are supposed to want stars and flags, it just seems like a silly popularity contest to me.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Society as a whole has turned into attention whores. That's why Facebook, You Tube, American idol and other media sites and shows are so popular.

Everybody has to be a star and famous for something these days.

That's also why I feel there are so many mass shootings, what better way for a nobody to become famous in 60 seconds?

The stars on ATS are just another sign of that..

Rack up all you can.......

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join