It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea party leader in Mississippi controversy dies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Mayfield was one of the three men charged with conspiring to photograph Sen. Thad Cochran's wife in her nursing home and create a political video against the six-term Republican senator.

Last month's incident escalated tensions in what was already ugly Republican primary fight between Cochran and conservative state Sen. Chris McDaniel.

Mayfield was charged a week a conservative blogger and supporter of McDaniel's primary challenge was arrested for obtaining a image of Cochran's wife, who suffers from dementia and has lived in a nursing home for 14 years.

Tea party leader in Mississippi controversy dies

This is breaking news so there's not a lot of detail to report, yet.
attorney, Merrida Coxwell said "It's not important to me how it happened. It happened today. Mark's wife called and texted me that Mark was deceased."

You may remember McDaniel was pissed off at Cochran because he had turned to Democrats to secure his GOP nomination. He called foul but Mississippi law does not require voters to declare a party affiliation.

Anyway I'm sure there will be a huge quail over his death and the how's and why's of it...

Keep checking the link as the day wears on...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Tea party leader Mayfield dead of apparent suicide

Read your link, but it never mentioned a cause of death (not to mention it was poorly worded). So far they think it was suicide, he was found dead of a 'self inflicted' gun shot wound.

I don't know if it's a surprise or not... anyone that would stoop to sneaking into a nursing home to make video's of a rival's wife suffering from dementia wasn't all there to begin with.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Strange things in Mississippi.

Democrats actually voting for a Republican because they are more scared of a Tea Party candidate.

People acting weird etc.

I say this guy was murdered.

Cochran camp says 35,000 Dems crossed over to vote for the incumbent

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Its an open primary, there is no "democrat" or "republican." The only means of tallying the L-R split is by votes in "traditional African American" precincts. Voter turnout was higher in precincts that have traditionally been considered democratic, which is the basis for McDaniel's claim that dems came out to vote.

In Mississippi’s 24 counties with a majority black population, turnout increased an average of 40 percent over the primary, according to a Washington Post analysis. In the state’s 58 other counties, the increase was only 16 percent.

Just 12 percent of the nearly 375,000 votes cast Tuesday came from counties where African Americans make up at least 60 percent of the population. But Cochran’s overwhelming performance in those areas — winning 71 percent of the vote — provided an 18,000-vote margin that helped him grow his vote total by almost 40,000 ballots over the June 3 primary.

Source: Sen. Cochran’s strategy to draw black Democrats to polls appears to have worked

So credit to Cochran for reaching out to voters in these areas, which are typically avoided and ignored by Republicans. That was McDaniel's mistake, other than the one involving Cochran's ill wife.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

indeed; it's surprising that he was able to reach out to demographics that traditionally have been more in favor of the other party... perhaps this will be the start of a trend that will ultimately save the republican party from its current deathspiral.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

A Haley Barbour relative caught hiring a questionable Democrat campaign consultant who had been in trouble for election shenanigans before ...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

If you think they'll actually vote for him in the general, you're smoking something. Basically, this is the power establishment of both parties protecting their own. That's how much they hate the TEA Party and fear what it represents - a loss of their power. It has nothing to do with anyone suddenly "reaching out" to new demographics. The Democrats went to bat for good ole boy Cochran whose one of their own and they know it. They whipped up their base to preserve him.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Tea party leader Mayfield dead of apparent suicide

Read your link, but it never mentioned a cause of death (not to mention it was poorly worded). So far they think it was suicide, he was found dead of a 'self inflicted' gun shot wound.

I don't know if it's a surprise or not... anyone that would stoop to sneaking into a nursing home to make video's of a rival's wife suffering from dementia wasn't all there to begin with.

Not that much of a surprise. His actions were despicable and his candidate had lost in a squeaker.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

So credit to Cochran for reaching out to voters in these areas, which are typically avoided and ignored by Republicans

Tricky Tricky

It’s generally agreed that Thad Cochran squeaked out a win in Mississippi last night in part by getting Democrats, especially African Americans, to turn out. Here’s a flier that was distributed in heavily black precincts, obtained by investigative reporter Charles C. Johnson, suggesting how he accomplished this:

The Flier That Got Thad Cochran Elected?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

lol, has it ever occured to you that perhaps, other honest, hardworking americans feel alienated by the tea party; and they might vote against the tea party if they see a lesser evil?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Cochran stumped in largely African American communities. How is this a trick? Let me guess, all blacks are liberals and democrats, and all whites are republican and conservative.

The states that segregate primary election by party affiliation make democrats use one machine, while republicans use another, and prevent non-party members from voting in primaries. This isn't exactly the ideal democracy was based on, now is it?

In MS, in primary elections, there is only one vote machine, and everyone uses it. There is no "democrat" or "republican," no party declaration or affiliation requirement. How can McDaniel's team declare "this many democrats voted in this election..." He can't. All anyone can do is speculate that voter turnout in African American communities was higher than past elections. That is only due to Cochran stumping in those communities. If McDaniel didn't want to lose those votes, then he should have been stumping there as well, instead he only pandered to the Republican party base in largely white communities.

Can you break down for me how many of these black voters in this election were democrat or republican?

PS: if you want to compare voter dirty tricks, the Repubs win hands down. Everything from gerrymandering to running fake candidates to voter suppression has been in their bag of tricks. Just because Cochran got black voters to turn out for him, that's not a dirty trick, that's called campaigning.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Sounds like the guy spontaneously grew a conscience. This guy had two kids, so it's a minor tragedy, but frankly he was also a scumbag.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

What's wrong with it, why are you working so hard to portray it as sneaky and duplicitous? It's well within the law, and frankly a good strategy. Are black votes somehow less valuable?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

Wow!, that's a good one...
Voting for a candidate from one of the two most CORRUPT,CRIMINAL,ENTRENCHED parties is considered the lesser evil than a third party candidate trying to start fixing this hell-hole of a system we find ourselves in...

That's rich...
The only reason anyone feels alienated by the Tea Party is that they are listening to elements within the Tea Party that are from the OUTSIDE and have INFILTRATED it to destroy it...
There are MANY smart educated people that are not swayed by the dinosaur media trash-talking about the Tea Party...That's why the Tea Party is making headway...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
They alienate people because they're lunatics, it's pretty straight-forward.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Most convincing argument...
You got me...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
...That's why the Tea Party is making headway...

That's funny, I just read an article in National Review the other day, (I think it's a conservative site) that stated just the opposite. It said the Tea Party was waning and that the most recent polls showed that only 30% of americans had a favorable view of them, "the lowest favorability rating in it's history."

And with guys like this sneaking around taking pics in nursing homes, it's not hard to figure out why.

Personally, I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for the whole bunch of them, but that's just me.
edit on 27-6-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Yes we should just give up on any third party attempt and hope the two party system magically turns into good guys and starts working for the people...

I mean,.. why bother bucking the system?... it is such an HONEST and MORAL system... I don't know what I was thinking...

Carry on...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

The Tea Party isn't a third party, it's still the Republican party. Come the general election, you don't have to vote Democrat or Republican, there's several alternative parties.

This particular election was between two Republicans.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

As far as the public is concerned, The Tea Party is an attempt at a third party that is Libertarian.

Technically yes but the idea is to break away from the established parties...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join