It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Youngness Paradox' --"Explains Why SETI has Not Found Any Signals from Extraterrestrial Civi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting and thought I'd share for folks interested in this subject. I always wonder why we haven't heard from "them" out there.

'The Youngness Paradox' --"Explains Why SETI has Not Found Any Signals from Extraterrestrial Civilizations”.
According to MIT's Alan Guth , originator of the inflationary universe theory, our Universe is a product of eternal inflation --eternal into the future, but not into the past. An eternally inflating Universe produces an infinite number of pocket universes , which in turn are producing more new universes. The old, mature universes are vastly outnumbered by universes that have just barely begun to evolve. Guth called it the "Youngness Paradox."

Link to the whole article published June 26, 2014 by The Daily Galaxy" www.dailygalaxy.com...

edit on 27-6-2014 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RUFFREADY

I can explain why seti has found nothing: it's a big decoy.
If seti does/has find/found anything it's buried.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

I can explain why seti has found nothing: it's a big decoy.
If seti does/has find/found anything it's buried.

Yep!! I've wonder that myself (and a lot of folks on ATS also) I just don't know.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I was watching a universe type show. Where they were interviewing the white haired SETI guy. ( can't remember his name.

In the interview, he was asked what the most common question everyone asks him is. His reply was, " If SETI does find proof of intelligent life. Who are you supposed to call first?" His answer to the question? No one! That's right No ONE! Not the Secretary of State, not the department of defense, not the president! After all the federal dollars sunk into SETI?!? Really?

What politician would pass up the chance to give the "first contact speech"? Whoever gives that speech will be immortalized forever!

What military wouldn't insist they knew first?

I think this is just about the most proof I've ever seen that our government already knows the truth of aliens. They can't prove a negative, so they must know SETI won't find anything.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A conspiracy I believe and have held on to even if it might be ridiculous is that humans have been isolated and quarantined to the Sol System and our life spans have been genetically shortened.

I believe we once traveled to the Stars, had incredibly long lifespans but something happened a great...star wars...happened.

There are enough Myths that coincide with something similar to this, but it is why we have No Contact we need to grow up!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Could anybody please explain the article in simple words (instead of jumping directly into conspiracies)?

What the hell is "the synchronous gauge probability distribution" and why does it follow that there is no civilization in the visible Universe more advanced than us?

How does the existence of other, younger universes, affect our universe and any civilisations within? *confused*

If a civilisation could evolve here on Earth, surely it could have evolved elsewhere in the known universe?
edit on 27-6-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

I hold the same views!
And I follow Joseph Farrell closely, too.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I read the article, and I don't understand how the article "Explains Why SETI has Not Found Any Signals from Extraterrestrial Civilizations”, as the title of the article suggests.

This seems to be an article about whether or not other hypothetical universes with different physical laws would be capable of forming life.

That question should not have any bearing on whether or not there would be other civilizations in our universe -- and going by the article, it doesn't seem to have any bearing.

Sure -- there is a brief mention at the beginning of the article about our universe perhaps being "young", but the article offers no exploration into the idea that our universe is too young for other technological civilizations to exist. Is it too young? If they think so, then they should explain. Personally, I think 3rd generation metal-bearing star systems have been around long enough for many civilizations to have come (and gone), but this article doesn't explain why they think otherwise.

The headline of the article just seems incongruous with the body of the article.

edit on 6/27/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: RUFFREADY
I thought this was interesting and thought I'd share for folks interested in this subject. I always wonder why we haven't heard from "them" out there.

'The Youngness Paradox' --"Explains Why SETI has Not Found Any Signals from Extraterrestrial Civilizations”.
According to MIT's Alan Guth , originator of the inflationary universe theory, our Universe is a product of eternal inflation --eternal into the future, but not into the past. An eternally inflating Universe produces an infinite number of pocket universes , which in turn are producing more new universes. The old, mature universes are vastly outnumbered by universes that have just barely begun to evolve. Guth called it the "Youngness Paradox."

Link to the whole article published June 26, 2014 by The Daily Galaxy" www.dailygalaxy.com...

This is mostly nonsense or misinterpretation of research to support a poorly constructed idea.

The idea that our universe is too young for advanced life other than us is ridiculous.

Our Universe and our Milky Way are old enough to have produced plenty of other solar systems like ours, but billions of years older. We've begun detecting these.

Life out there may have anywhere from 2-8 billion year head starts on us.

We as a species are young but our Universe and Galaxy are old.

Cosmos: The Cosmic Calendar

edit on 27-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

I was watching a universe type show. Where they were interviewing the white haired SETI guy. ( can't remember his name.

Most like Seth Shostak. I shared a lunch with him once

In the interview, he was asked what the most common question everyone asks him is. His reply was, " If SETI does find proof of intelligent life. Who are you supposed to call first?" His answer to the question? No one! That's right No ONE! Not the Secretary of State, not the department of defense, not the president!

He is correct. At first detection you want to be sure what you are seeing is really extraterrestrial. Scientists don't go around shouting alien at the scantest evidence.

SETI has received plenty of odd signals but most of them turn out to be terrestrial radio interference, satellites, etc. Of those that were not that (so few I can count them on one hand) they did not repeat long enough to be studied in better detail.

So first of all you check your data.

The next step would be a call or email to another observatory which can check to see if they hear it. If they can't then it could be malfunctioning equipment at the observatory which made the detection. If they do hear it then they can help by following it after that part of the sky sets.

After all the federal dollars sunk into SETI?!? Really?

SETI does not receive federal dollars and hasn't since the early 1990s when NASA shut down its SETI project due to Congress confusing SETI with stuff like UFOS.

Only now have people from SETI been welcomed back to give talks to the House Science Committee on why it should probably receive some federal funding.

What politician would pass up the chance to give the "first contact speech"?

Plenty. Scientific ignorance reigns in the halls of power.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
A conspiracy I believe and have held on to even if it might be ridiculous is that humans have been isolated and quarantined to the Sol System and our life spans have been genetically shortened.

I believe we once traveled to the Stars, had incredibly long lifespans but something happened a great...star wars...happened.

There are enough Myths that coincide with something similar to this, but it is why we have No Contact we need to grow up!

Perhaps life here began "out there"?

I don't think SETI will find anything, because I don't think there's anything to find within any kind of reasonable distance from Earth.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You mean Scientology?

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

a decoy for what?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the article to have nothing to do with the headline. I highly respect Alan Guth, and subscribe to the hypothesis that our universe is just one of many. But this article made a pig's ear of his hypothesis and other stuff it tried to bring in.

On the topic of different universes, there are only "if"s. All those universes _might_ have the same physical laws and constants as ours. I don't see any reason to believe that different universe will have different laws. They would all be essentially made of the same ever-expanding "fabric" of space-time, with its vacuum energy and quantum events.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You mean Scientology?

2nd line.

Yes but without the DC10's? HA...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: abeverage

Perhaps life here began "out there"?

I don't think SETI will find anything, because I don't think there's anything to find within any kind of reasonable distance from Earth.

Actually I have another wacked out theory once Voyager truly crosses the Heliopause something will happen to it and to any other deep space probes.

Well I can hope right? Just be funnier if stranger things happen I think...things that make us wonder or jump or go WHAT THE???

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
We share a planet with billions of other life forms of various stages. Some of them are found to be very, very intelligent. Such as the great apes and dolphins.

We cannot even break the language barrier here on own bio-sphere and carry on a conversation with another life form on earth - that is not human. We can teach them to communicate with us or respond to our signals - through training. But we cannot understand the language that dolphins or great apes have amongst themselves.

So - even for one second - believing we could understand aliens from another planet - seems to suggest, we are of them - a branch off of them specifically - if communication is at all possible?

CdT

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Time and timing is the main reason SETI hasn't found anything.

The time it takes to recieve signals is measured in hundreds of years in most cases.
Which brings timing into it.
We have to have our dishes pointed at the right system at the right time in their developement.

In about 100 years we have gone from no radio to undetectible spread specturm radio.
The best time to detect Earth was from 1940 to 1990. Only a 50 year period.

It's best we remain invisible anyway. If they can get here they can kick our butts.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth
So - even for one second - believing we could understand aliens from another planet - seems to suggest, we are of them - a branch off of them specifically - if communication is at all possible?

CdT

Just finding another species using technology would be huge, regardless if we could ever communicate.

That said, a technological civilization would have more in common with us than we do with dolphins and apes: an understanding of the laws of the universe ie: mathematics, physics, chemistry.

Those could form the basis of a common language.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
Time and timing is the main reason SETI hasn't found anything.

The time it takes to recieve signals is measured in hundreds of years in most cases.
Which brings timing into it.
We have to have our dishes pointed at the right system at the right time in their developement.

In about 100 years we have gone from no radio to undetectible spread specturm radio.
The best time to detect Earth was from 1940 to 1990. Only a 50 year period.

It's best we remain invisible anyway. If they can get here they can kick our butts.

And yet we still do use Arecibo planetary radar to form radar images of near earth objects.

Arecibo's planetary radar and our airport radars are more powerful than any form of communications we use radio for and both are unlikely to go way 100 years from now maybe not even in 1000 or a million years. You will always have reasons for radar or lidar (laser radar) to detect objects and that radar is detectable over interstellar distances.

SETI doesn't look for communication, it looks simply for artificial radio signals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join