It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it impossible for people not to argue?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Everywhere I look I see people debating, bickering, arguing, and fighting. I also see a lot of love, compassion, concern, and giving. Yet, it seems as if so many of us are consumed with this notion that we are right. Right about what exactly? Right about a disputed fact, or about what someone else should think, say, or do? It becomes burdensome watching the bickering, especially online.

I used to the think I could find answers through research. I have to some degree, especially in the area of history. However, I have been left with many more questions than answers. I believed for a time it was my obligation to inform others and to correct them if necessary. I have come to learn this couldn't be further from my truth.

My truth is that people should express themselves in whatever manner they see fit as long as they're following the simple doctrine of do no harm to others. It has taken me a long time to get to this place, as everywhere I look I see such infighting, even by like minded people who know more about our current condition than the average person. It seems to cross into all aspects of life, be it politics, religion, love, friendship, business...etc. Why is this the case? Why do we, as humans, believe it is our right to force our truth onto others? Why such callousness and arrogance?

I'm am not casting stones, as I've been an arrogant prick many times. I now see the error of my ways, yet I'm constantly sucked into the vortex of argument. It appears it is merely a condition of being human at this point. I think the answer is that we're all crazy to one degree or another. Everyone. We're merely placed at different parts of the spectrum. If it weren't the case, then why would we ever try to tell someone else what the 'truth' is, when it is obvious that the truth comes in many gradients and is for the most part subjective? I don't mean truth as mathematical, or even scientific, but as telling others what they should be doing.

A quick story. The other day I was at a party with my best friend. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in probably 5-6 years. He pulled out a bag of coke and did a line. I told him he shouldn't do that, and he was better than being involved in such mess. He became offended, but in my typical manner, I calmed him down and let him realize I meant no offense. By the end of it he agreed that he shouldn't be doing it. As we left, I felt joy in knowing I'd helped a friend. That's when my best friend looked at me and said 'why do you always do that?'. I asked him what he meant. He said 'why do you always feel the need to correct people?'. At this I became slightly offended. I insisted that all I was trying to do was help the situation. He replied 'people know when they're f******* up, J, and if they don't, then they're too stupid to help anyways'. I've thought about those words a lot lately. He's right. Though my intentions were good, all I did was make my friend feel bad about himself. This is where I struggle, because I still felt that maybe my words could have impacted him to stop doing what he was doing, but alas, my best friend was right. My old friend knew what he was doing wasn't smart. Don't we all do things that aren't intelligent or good for us? Yes. Therefore it isn't upon me, nor anyone else, to judge or try to impart wisdom on another, unless asked to do so.
This has become my truth: Listen, observe, help through action, and only advise when called upon. I try to live by this now, but it is tough when I see so much wrong with the world.

I doubt this thread will be picked up, but if it is I challenge everyone to go through an entire thread without arguing. Disagreeing is different than arguing. Let's see if I'm wrong.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: IsntLifeFunny

So what are you trying say???? HUH???? You want some of this buddy!!! Talking all your BS Impossible to Argue. I'll show you what's impossible pal!!!!

Nah, just kidding.

Unless you think I'm just backing down to you're sorry butt!!! Oh, it's back on now friend.....Let's go.....

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

So what are you trying say???? HUH???? You want some of this buddy!!! Talking all your BS Impossible to Argue. I'll show you what's impossible pal!!!!

Nah, just kidding.

Unless you think I'm just backing down to you're sorry butt!!! Oh, it's back on now friend.....Let's go.....

You want a piece of me!?!
edit on 27-6-2014 by IsntLifeFunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Even happily married couples and best friends argue.

So, in my opinion, people will always argue.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
About the story between you and your friend. There's an old saying from back when I was a kid that goes, "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose!"

That's some sound advice right there. Remember it and it will serve you well.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I've been with my partner for 18 years. We've never had an argument, ever.

I don't see the point in abusing personal energy in that way, and neither does my partner. It's easier just to talk and compromise. At the end of the day we both know we are one unit with a common goal, sometimes I compromise sometime she compromises. Fair's fair, works for us.

So in answer to your question, yes it is possible

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 27-6-2014 by myselfaswell because: derpy

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
arguing with an open mind is healthy and important for personal development as well as development of relationships
the problems come when people get personally invested in the argument and stop being objective then the mind is set and no development will occur instead all arguments become perceived as personal attacks (regardless of what they actually are) and logic is thrown out the window in favor of knee jerk emotional response

if you cant in most situations remain objective ..... thats a problem and you need to work on that
otherwise arguing should in no way be perceived as a negative thing
(disagreeing is not the same as arguing true an argument would be the reason why you disagree)
edit on 27-6-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

sirstopathreaddeadinitstracks i couldn't agree less

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Well there ya go MSAW. I thought I was one of the few. In the 18 or so years I've been with my girl (4 kids). We've never disagreed. No arguments. Well done mate.

Kind Regards,

Bally. PS How's the koala.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

G'day Bally. Yeah life just shouldn't be that hard, I'm happy for you mate.

The koala, not really sure. I had a bit of a look this morning, nothing. I don't really know much about them and their movements however I have been onto the National Koala Tree Protection List and it should be all good, beyond that I'm thinking of taking up the guitar and serenading that little bastards in.

Cheers
MSAW

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

As life should be sir, as life should be.

Peace,

Bally

top topics

join