It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird California sighting

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So the question I have, is if this lady is Mach 6+, what (theoretically of course) is used to dampen the friction on the front end of the craft at such high speed?

I was always led to believe the higher top end speed caused so much drag over the front the aircraft it could potentially burn up due to the heat of friction passing over the nose and leading edges, and that was what limited aircraft to around Mach 3.5.

There was talk of a magnetic barrier that pushes the air away from the physical surface, but that sounded as much sci-fi as anything to me. Another theory is the sheer height of the platform, where the atmosphere is thin enough not to cause drag, as in the very edge of space or even low earth orbit type of heights, allowing less drag and higher speeds.

Any suggestions or insights?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

You are correct about the height of flight can mitigate some of the air friction heat. There are other ways to mitigate it as well. Advancements in materials and EM fields can and probably do also play a role.
Even with all of these things I'll bet the thing gets really hot anyway.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Just wanted to add I envy anyone who has seen this with their own eyes. Being in southern England I think i have a slim chance of seeing it.
A question for the experts though: are we likely to see this craft in the future or are they going to keep this bird secret. If it's going to be released so that civilians will end up one day seeing this how long would we be looking at? 5years ? 10...15?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

There are lots of ways to mitigate heat. High altitude helps. There are heat absorbing tiles. There's aerogel like insulation, there's skins that can convert heat into other things, there's high powered lasers you can focus just in front of the vehicle that push the air out of the way, there's EM fields that can do it, there's shaping of the craft that reduce where the friction reaches. It could be any combination of the above.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
well bassplayer are there anything else we can theorize on these newer aircraft from what we know so far? It seems were just scratching the surface.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There was an interesting article recently about Skunk Works. They opened up slightly and let some reporters in. In it the reporter lists a hypersonic aircraft as one of their CURRENT projects.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
There was an interesting article recently about Skunk Works. They opened up slightly and let some reporters in. In it the reporter lists a hypersonic aircraft as one of their CURRENT projects.

Im assuming its the wave rider? or it could be the green lady?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Hypothetically speaking, maybe it's similar to an SR-71, just one digit greater.......hypothetically speaking of course

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You speak about this article ZAPH ""NASA launches study for Skunk Works SR-72 concept"" on Flight International web site?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

No it was a separate article. A group of reporters went into Skunk Works to see what was going on.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yesterday myself and my employer had a weird california sighting,
around 2pm we were walking from the office to one of the shops and my boss looks up and says" look at that" so i look up an there is an aircraft scooting overhead. It was really hooking it up, not mysterious light streaking across the sky hooking it up, but really hauling butt, much faster than any civiling or military traffic we see around here, and we get plenty.
Here are the wierd parts, it was big, very very big, and it was flying so high that it could not be heard as it passed overhead. Im reasonably familiar with the silloutes of all most all of the military aircraft in service, but this one has me stumped. Like i said it was big, and very long, with a shortish truncated double delta wing, and it had four engines mounted in pairs, there were two exhaust trails that were made up of two plumes.
Like i said it was big and haulin and very high up, because it passed overhead silenlty.

Not sure what to make of it

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Could you post a sketch of it? Aprox. location and direction?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
IS it an article on the web about Skunk ?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It is but I don't have it handy right now. I'll post it later if I can find it again.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yep

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Here you go!

in.mobile.reuters.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Could you post a sketch of it? Aprox. location and direction?

Sammamishman,

this is as close as i can get with the shape
and it looked as though the engines were on top of the wings/fuselage

over central cal about 2pmish headed from n ne to s sw
and the only things in that direction are Lemoore NAS about 40 miles away or vandenburg

edit on 17-12-2014 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Could you tell if the engines were on top or below the wings or body. Any color visible from the flame of the engines like a dull yellowish color?

Interesting sighting for sure. Could be a few things.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Things that make you go hmmm.

Holy S***, Zaph that is very very very very close to what flew over,

new topics

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join