It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird California sighting

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

In theory. It probably wouldn't really do either very well though. It wouldn't be able to figure out which it was supposed to be.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm thinking a mechanical addition to the process that would convert it from one then the other.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

TBH, with the new engine upgrades, neither one is entirely necessary anymore. A Scramjet might still give you more flat out top speed, but at the speeds we're talking about, it's the difference between 65 and 70 mph honestly.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

"Engine Advancement"

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Areospike engines anyone?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Huhuhuhuhuhuhu.

Yup.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom aerospike rocket engines, possible on a on a concept prototype the tech has been around for 50 odd years.
hybred fuels containing Diborane/ethanol not likely they have to stored and used at -90c+ and under pressure, Diborane also tends to self-ignite at 30c+, not s0 good in hot engines : )
the most likely cause for the green colour is additives in fuel for improved performance at higher attitudes, heating due to skin friction viscosity/antifreeze/ non sparking etc

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: suicideeddie

At the altitude that it cruises at, they need to have a special fuel on board.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'm assuming the Boron gel/diborane fuels carry there own oxidizer in the fuel mix, since they aren't going to get enough from the thin air at extreme altitudes? Can they even be considered airbreathers at that point in it's flight?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Technically yes. To be considered a non-air breather they would have to use a fuel with an oxidizer for the entire flight. They only use special fuels for the high altitude portion of the flight, and regular fuel during take off, landing, and lower altitude flight.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I'm thinking she might visit some of the sights in the East too. You know just to make sure certain parties know she's around. I wouldn't be surprised if the "green lantern" isn't spotted to and from that location in the East.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

She's found a pretty location to sit. Lots of nice beaches, pretty reefs in the area, lots of sun. Nice and close to several places, so she has her choice of places to visit.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Novel idea, but I don't think they will be used again like they were supposed to be

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just don't understand why you can't have two or three types of engines on one craft. I know it would be more complicated because each would have it's own fuel ... but regular jet, Ramjet, and areospike combinations could theoretically get one into orbit.

Climb as high as you can, then slowly kick in the areospikes while you turn down the ramjet?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Sheer weight and size. Engines aren't small (relatively speaking), and you need a lot of piping for fuel and hydraulics, as well as for the physical engine itself. Not to mention the physical fuel tanks.
edit on 7/23/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

She's found a pretty location to sit. Lots of nice beaches, pretty reefs in the area, lots of sun. Nice and close to several places, so she has her choice of places to visit.

Guam? My last job would have taken me there on something like six week TDY (I worked for a defense contractor for four years) had I not left. I really wanted to see the base, but better opportunities arose outside of defense

Also, if the fuel that glows green is only used for the high altitude flight, how was the green glow seen at presumably a much lower altitude?
edit on 23-7-2014 by quatro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: quatro

They use a green strobe at lower altitudes. It messes with night vision and optical systems.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Love this thread...Zaphod58 or Astro, in your opinion is there such thing as a pulse engine.(as in the aurora tale)?

edit on 23-7-2014 by crazyeddie68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyeddie68

For something small, like a missile. As you make it bigger it tends to become less efficient, and it doesn't have that great a high speed compared to a regular engine.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyeddie68
Love this thread...Zaphod58, in your opinion is there such thing as a pulse engine.(as in the aurora tale)?

Adroit systems has a power plant that funnily was in the same time frame and produces real mean toroidal vortices that made the stream go all donuts on a rope.

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join