It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird California sighting

page: 184
<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer
One candidate landing site might be Michael Army Air Base (Dugway, Utah). That would be about 1000 miles from where you saw it on a heading of 260 degrees. Only about 15 minutes away if it was going about Mach 10 when you saw it.

Did the object seem to be self-luminous? Was it maybe high enough to be reflecting sunlight?

a reply to: TheGoondockSaint

Now I have to search my old PC for the photos that didn't turn out but I kept anyways for the timestamp. I think it was almost completely dark outside but I have to be sure. Wife obviously has no idea because she didn't take it seriously at the time.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

One candidate landing site might be Michael Army Air Base (Dugway, Utah). That would be about 1000 miles from where you saw it on a heading of 260 degrees. Only about 15 minutes away if it was going about Mach 10 when you saw it.

Did the object seem to be self-luminous? Was it maybe high enough to be reflecting sunlight?

Would it be possible that I had my direction wrong and it was heading for Whiteman AFB?

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger

its an orange 'star' that steps in very long arc's and i imagine the enertia going from zero to 1/4 the horizon away on man or machine would be alot to overcome, obviously they did it.

Another platform...Ooohhh we need another thread
Rabbit hole to start chasing again...

i dont think its new, in fact i think it is on the older side of things. speaking on my own observations it is in space or close to it and uses the pulsing motion to maintain its orbit, the real question is why do i see it so often at altitude flying over upstate NY. seems like a strange place to orbit on. i guess if you were going to korea or coming back, the 45 lat line pretty close to me

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

Would it be possible that I had my direction wrong and it was heading for Whiteman AFB?

First of all, it should be noted that I do not claim to have any "inside" information about this platform; if I did I couldn't talk about it anyway. I am simply drawing what I consider to be logical inferences from 1) reports from witnesses like you, 2) occasional leaks of information that appear in the open literature, and 3) 35+ years of experience as a professional aerospace engineer (primarily with NASA, but sometimes with other government agencies).

From that perspective and the fact that this program is still "black", I surmise that this platform was built in small numbers presumably to be able to prosecute special, high value targets. I'm guessing that would include but not be limited to North Korea and Iran. Apparently it flies to its launch point under turbojet power, launches onto a ballistic trajectory using liquid propellant rocket motors, executes a pull-up maneuver after it re-enters the atmosphere and glides hypersonically over its target. The fact that multiple witnesses report it doing S-turns while hypersonic is evidence that it is recoverable, presumably via a roll-on landing using landing gear and a runway. The fact that they recover and (presumably) re-use the vehicle implies that it probably has high value payloads onboard, possibly including pilots and weapons. It probably will stay "black" unless and until there is a need to use it during operational hostilities.

During peace time, I presume it flies for the purposes of system development, training, and readiness. Normally, a system like this would be home based at a secure and remote field where its existence could be concealed to the maximum extent possible. Groom Lake is an obvious choice, but not necessarily the only one. If the platform works like I think it does, it would probably land with a lower wing loading than the Shuttle did and would therefore probably land at a lower speed and therefore not need a super long runway. In principle, whichever agency operates these things could get permission to operate to/from any government owned runway, but they would naturally want to operate out of ones that would allow for keeping the existence of the program unacknowledged. Michael Army Air Field at Dugway would fit that profile. So, while I can't say for sure that they wouldn't fly these things out of Whiteman, that doesn't seem like a very good fit, to me, especially when you consider the possibility of a program like this interfering with the B-2 mission.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Apologies if already posted (probably is but hell of a thread to check through!) - found it an interesting discussion of a number of possible candidates

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Apparently it flies to its launch point under turbojet power, launches onto a ballistic trajectory using liquid propellant rocket motors, executes a pull-up maneuver after it re-enters the atmosphere and glides hypersonically over its target.

Good post, but i'm pretty sure this isnt entirely accurate. It launches ... alright

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Please say more about what you think is inaccurate. I’m always open to constructive criticism.
a reply to: mightmight

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer
Well as i understand the rumors about this particular craft, it doesnt launch... itself onto a ballistic trajectory.
The rest of the flight profile is probably spot on though.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

"rumors" eh?

Sounds like something else boosts it up there.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

"rumors" eh?

To quote a certain someone: Yes.

But seriously, just think about it. A turbofan engine is an aweful lot of dead weight going ballistic on a rocket engine.
There is an obvious solution for this just as some *rumors* imply. If you're inclined to believe them of course.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Changing the subject, do you guys remember how the X15 got up into the air?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Anti gravity

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Sounds like a boost glide if you ask me.

That's been discussed quite a bit.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The most absurd part of the blackstar story was the notion that the parasite aircraft could reach orbit, given the specifications quoted. If you remove the orbital part, it suddenly becomes much more feasible, and there is a document trail dating back to the 60s studying the very concept.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Something moving quickly over NW England just now fading in and out can't see any Sat's on the apps that it could be.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: wirehead

www.cia.gov...

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

If it's doing reconaissance, as would seem to be a primary goal---recon in an environment with significant SAM coverage and without predictability of satellites---wouldn't the re-entry result in significant plasma sheathing that would disrupt high-quality surveillance? Sure it's suborbital and not orbital speeds (a big difference) but if people see this yellow glow, then up close it would be a big problem for cameras or radar perhaps?

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

originally posted by: grey580

"rumors" eh?

To quote a certain someone: Yes.

But seriously, just think about it. A turbofan engine is an aweful lot of dead weight going ballistic on a rocket engine.

Unless you need it to get home after the sightseeing safari.

There is an obvious solution for this just as some *rumors* imply. If you're inclined to believe them of course.

Lots of operational and unpredictable physical complexity in safe separation at high speeds with aerodynamic loads. Ugly.
edit on 8-4-2018 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel
good to see you around these parts MB. haven't seen you for a while on the threads.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
Unless you need it to get home after the sightseeing safari.

Gliding worked perfectly well for the shuttle.
edit on 9-4-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join