It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Hamburger Helper....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: mblahnikluver

You know, I feel that women messed up when they wanted to work instead of raising the kids and taking care of the food for the family. Most couples both work nowadays and the kids don't get what they need. Pick up a pizza on the way home, or a sub or some chicken or chinese. A lot of prepared food because both have to work.

I'm sure some women would be offended by this but me not so much. I LOVE cooking and I don't mind being home with my son. I am use to working and providing for myself and it's been an adjustment I've had to get use to and believe me it hasn't been easy. I was always very independent so being the stay at home mom is something i never thought I'd be doing. I wanted to be working. It won't be forever of course but for now it works for us. When I do get back to work you can bet your rear my son will still have home cooked meals.

My mom raised three kids, worked and went to school and she STILL cooked a home cooked meal every night and made bread on the weekends. It was how I was raised. It is actually cheaper to make things from scratch. People like to argue it's not but I find those are the people who have never even tried it. Boxed food is expensive, eating out is expensive. What you spend on one dinner at a restaurant for a family of four could buy groceries for two days or even more esp if you make it from scratch. Sure it takes time but think about the time you spend driving to the restaurant, waiting for your food and then driving home. My god I could have made bread, homemade cream of mushroom soup and cleaned the kitchen in that time. My husband says I never sit down and I suck at being "lazy." LOL well that isn't me. I like to be productive and I actually like the kitchen. It's my "man cave" equivalent. I have friends who eat out most nights of the week and then order pizza or take out the other nights. I can only imagine the money they waste on that crap then they make snide comments about me and how I cook. Um honestly cooking is not that hard but so many people rush it and don't have the patience. It took me years to learn how to perfect certain meals and I"m STILL learning. I'm always learning things in the kitchen and I always will. I enjoy it. I know not everyone does but there was a time when home cooked meals were the norm. Heck I will be that mom who invites my sons friends over for dinner. I honestly look forward to those days because I enjoy cooking for others.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

When my daughter was young, my wife took four or five years off of work and then she went to work for two and a half days a week till about a year after I got hurt. It helped her Social Security to go back to full time work, she got a little more when she turned 62 and retired. That will help in the future.

Cutting our income in half means we had to adjust our spending, we did that for the last three years. Going cold turkey is hard, we got a chance to taper it in. Now we don't need to be doing all the fun stuff like cruise ships where you get stranded or food poisoning. We don't have to fly around the country wearing ourselves out trying to force ourselves to have fun. My wife wants me to get a woodpile near the campfire tomorrow so we can sit around the fire for this month. Drinking coffee, cooking meals, sitting around with a marshmallow stick, and acting like a bunch of heathens.
I think a heathen actually means someone who does not support or is dependent on the economy. We should be eating chemical laced foods so we wind up supporting the nursing homes and doctors. Oh well, we have to buy marshmallows and coffee.

<< 1   >>

join