It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Would you play/encourage a real survival video game?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:32 PM
I'm a gamer and a camping /survival info nut. Recently game developers have come out with a lot of "survival" type videogames such as Rust, The Forest, Stranded 1 & 2 and others like Dayz and 7 Days to Die which involve zombies - those I do not consider survival games though others do.

What I want to know is whould you play or encourage your kid to play a video game that teaches the skills for survival.. things like finding fresh water, making shelters, finding food and fire, building traps - all the good stuff thats needed for survival. In my mind it would be like the show Naked and Marooned with Ed Stafford or perhaps Beyond Survival with Les Stroud.

I think if they made the game right, and put in all the proper elements one needs to learn it could be a great educational tool. I'm kinda dismayed no one has made such a game yet but i know it is within the possibility of currect gaming technology.

What do you think.. would such a "game" be good as a learning tool - at least to learn head knowlege before the kids can get out in the woods to practice their skills ?

( I cant do it, im not game dev and i'm not soliciting for anyone, just wanted to know how you folks felt in case anyone ever does make such a game. Perhaps for a mind exercize you guys could suggest the kinds of things you would want to see in such a game..)
edit on 26-6-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:35 PM
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

Because game revenue is generated by how fun a game is.
A real survival skill game would be considered either too hard or boring

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:38 PM
Considering one of the best mods for Skyrim is the realism survival overhauls, I would venture to say sure..just gotta figure out how to make it entertaining overall. I recommend checking out minecraft and make some mods there as a good starter.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:40 PM
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I disagree. If you look at the forums for those games mentioned above, they are filled with requests to make the games more realistic - and even in the state those games are in, they have huge followings and are very popular, making tons of money already.

It's just that no one so far has tried to make a game that has all the essential elements.
edit on 26-6-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:45 PM
I would totally play a game like that as long as there was some excitement to it.
Not sure what I would want in it but a game like that would be pretty interesting to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:47 PM

Add me on 7 days, Sicknasty... wait, it might be Antipathy17
edit on 26-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:57 PM
You do realize you just described minecraft right?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:01 PM
I love survival games like Fallout New Vegas, if you like Day z you will like H1Z1 coming out for PC and PS4.

I don't think you can learn any real survival from them though, pushing buttons is totally different than doing it yourself in the real world.
edit on 26-6-2014 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:15 PM
I'd give it a shot, it would most likely be as fun as superman 64

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:17 PM
reply to: JohnPhoenix

Being a very avid COD player as well as FPS in general I found it amusing you used gamer, and camper in the same sentence lol.
However I like your idea...If it was real enough and had graphics that would immerse you in the environment I would buy it.
edit on 26-6-2014 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:51 PM
Sounds great. Can't recall which exact one, but one of the Metal Gear games incorporated elements similar to what you mentioned. You're in the jungle, and instead of the handy-dandy "health packs" we get nowadays, you had to use surgical implements to heal, and also catch and eat wild animals. Gangrene was also a possibilty.

If you haven't played The Last of Us, it has some similar elements in the crafting system, along with VERY limited ammo. You have to scavenge for crafting supplies, limited to 6 basic staples.

Where it gets interesting though, is you have to manage your (pretty limited) resources, as most things you can craft use the same ingedients. For example, with alcohol and a rag, you have to choose between building a healing kit, or a molotov cocktail. With blades, which are probably the hardest to come by in-game, you have the choice to build a shiv (blades+binding) with limited uses (1-3) for silent stealthy kills, a nail bomb (explosive+blade,) or an improved melee weapon (binding+blade+melee) capable of one hit kills.

Another cool aspect is you come across bottles and bricks, which can be thrown as a distraction, thrown at an enemy to stun and stagger them, or as an actual combat weapon, in addition to 2x4's, wooden bats, axes, machetes, lead pipes, etc.

You can also come across old military training manual scraps to improve your skills, similar to Fallout.

tl;dr - If you have a PS3, GET THE LAST OF US, IT IS GREAT!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM

edit on 26-6-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:44 PM
You need to play Unreal World

Its a Roguelike set in Iron Age Finland. The graphics are simple, but do the job perfectly. You have to hunt or trap or fish for food. Build shelter. Make stuff. There are NPCs. Dev has been working on it for like 10 years from a cabin in the mountains in Finland. Best of all, it's free. You can donate, and you get a sweet thank you vid from the dev.

Try it, give a chance even if you feel like the graphics and turn based nature throw you off. Watch the youtube vids.

I've been wanting to devote a whole thread to this game because of how well it simulates the survival aspect of living alone in the wilderness, with awesome lore, and NO STUPID ZOMBIES.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:47 PM
Bit funny you mention that .. recently found one called survivalcraft (a minecraft clone) where it has alot of survival elements to it .. the game starts with you getting marooned on a desert island .
one hint - on cruel mode everything tries to kill you and no respawn .. so try milder levels first. no zombies but game does have werewolves ..

overall its good and the dev always adding to it ..
you start with nothing have to build shelter , gather food , materials , crafting etc. and its an openworld game.

Usually prefer rpg type games but not impressed with what seen of the so-called rpg games on android .. miss the old school rpg games ..

Wish theyd make an android version of fallout ..

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:59 PM
So are these games basically a large decision-tree that works like an old "choose your own adventure workbook?" Basically, such exercises merely test your knowledge base.

It's one of my main complaints with virtual crap in general.

It's like my kids thinking that they can start a fire with flint and steel because they watched a reality-show actor do it on TV in only one take. Or that crossing a swollen stream, 90 ft across with whitecaps, would be easy because it was "only two feet deep".

I love survival stuff, but it needs to be a bit more advanced than "Oregon Trail."

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:02 PM

I like the idea, but in order to get the talent to do a good job you'd need something more than just "It's to educate people about survival." Otherwise, you'd have to be happy with something less than AAA.

Refer to the NASA game Moonbase Alpha for an example. I look at any of the many open source games out there people have made.
edit on 26-6-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:14 PM

Actually that is one of those "back burner" ideas that has been tossed back and forth between a friend of mine and myself. Many people discount DayZ because of the zombies (and that it is in early Alpha so there isn't much game to it yet). Two very daunting tasks hold us down....scripting for a commercially available gaming engine that you can buy an affordable license to use and the fact that everything you see (down to a cigarette butt on the ground) has to be made from scratch.

Those two facts would hold us down for years of development. But the idea was a quest oriented game akin to Fallout 3 just in a world that was recovering from a complete societal breakdown versus a nuclear war. But for creative outlet, it is just easier to work on Fallout 3 mods.

But scripting for a game really isn't all that different than scripting for a database or writing in BASIC for that matter. You just start with an idea of what you want to do, look at what works similar to what you are wanting and then adapt it to your goal. Puzzles within the game can be gathering items to combine into an item that is needed for the quest or setting up locks on terminals that have to be activated in a certain order otherwise the locks reset and you have to start over. Of course we were devious enough to paint the order on the wall of a room in a color that could only be seen if you fixed a UV lamp. Which was a situational wall texture use. If the lamp was off you saw wall texture A and if the lamp was on you saw wall texture B. So to the player it looked like the wall was lit with UV light in a purplish tinge and there was a series of numbers glowing where the spot of light was fixated. The effect was cool, but the nuts and bolts of how it worked take away the magic of the moment of seeing it in game. Especially since the player was not forced to fix that UV light at all in order to progress along the quest lines. They could bumble their way through the order of unlocking the terminals on their own. It was just there for flavor (and as a hint) but it took two weeks to figure out how to do it so it looked right and natural.

One of the things we want to figure out is how to do a "live action cut scene" in which the NPC's and the PC will do some actions on their own. We have a couple ideas, but the trick is to lockout the player from controlling their character for what would be a specific set of idle actions happening to several characters at once. While playing along those lines, he set up jukeboxes that played songs he wrote and recorded previously and had NPC slaves recognize what was being played and would react by dancing to their favorite song or do other things while other songs were played. Again just flavor for the game by having a more realistic and reactive environment rather than just sandbox actions and routes on a timer.

Realistic emersion environments in which NPC's react to things going on around them that is out of the game's control can make a difference when it is the player causing environment changes by say turning on a light switch instead of using a flashlight or reloading a firearm and the noise causes a reaction due to your proximity to a mob or NPC. Because in real life the sound of pumping a 12 gauge has a more stifling effect on those that hear it than reloading a double barrel shotgun. You could actually setup a whole reaction table to that sound modified by faction towards the player and have the NPC roll a reaction number for that table all for the flavor of a more realistic experience.

But the bottom line is that if you make it and make it good, people will buy it. If they like the game, they will tell others to buy it. Even an old sprite animation game can do well if people like it and there is replay value in it. God knows I dropped enough quarters into Pacman and Tetris over the years and will still play a Demolition Derby game if I see one and have the time.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:57 AM

originally posted by: ZeroReady
You need to play Unreal World

Its a Roguelike set in Iron Age Finland. The graphics are simple, but do the job perfectly. You have to hunt or trap or fish for food. Build shelter. Make stuff. There are NPCs. Dev has been working on it for like 10 years from a cabin in the mountains in Finland. Best of all, it's free. You can donate, and you get a sweet thank you vid from the dev.

Try it, give a chance even if you feel like the graphics and turn based nature throw you off. Watch the youtube vids.

I've been wanting to devote a whole thread to this game because of how well it simulates the survival aspect of living alone in the wilderness, with awesome lore, and NO STUPID ZOMBIES.

I could swear I heard 1994 calling you... and your game back - the both of you

Thats just so freakin boring. I couldnt even stand a 19 minute video of it let alone a whole game lol

Listen... game are to meant to be fun, and when the time comes, IF the time comes then we'll play survival crap ok? But I wont play real hard core survival games, specially with those graphics when the world's still pink ok? I have no reason to immerse myself on a true "survival experience" until the right time comes.

Like I said... games are meant to be fun - and that one, IS NOT. Right now I'm playing Borderlands 2.

And I've played every survival game out there from DayZ to "you-name-it" and... it never comes close to real life situations and its not suppose to - in real life I would start to eat my neighbors for instance (you know... so many people... and everyone thinks "wow what to hunt for food" really?) - do they let me do that in those games? NO. So... now theres a big flaw right from the start.

Just let games be games.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:10 AM

I love computer gaming.

I love to be immersed in a scenario that my own life does not feature. There is a game called Fallout 3, which is a game involving both first person shooter elements, and RPG elements as well, in which you stride around the ruins of Washington DC, avoiding areas of high radioactivity, slaying mercenaries, bandits, mutant creatures of all sorts, and keeping an eye out for the good guys in general. That game features the ability to rig shotgun traps, plant mines, build your own lunchbox based improvised explosive devices, and a whole host of other cool things.

However the interaction with the crafting elements of the game is not the main thrust of the game, and there are really good reasons for that.

You can learn how to pull a trigger by using a light gun to play an arcade game. You can learn to fly a jet if you have a joystick control set.

But you cannot learn how to rig a snare, build a shelter, set a fire, clean a wound, or set a bone using a computer game. These are things that one must learn from experience, and situationally relevant training. There is no game that can replicate the bone deep ache of sleeping outdoors in rudimentary shelter when it is cold outside, nor any virtual environment that can teach you whether an animal you have just killed has a disease, purely by smell, or by the texture of its flesh when touched.

Survival is not a skill set which can be taught through a control pad, or keyboard, or joystick, because it is an experience which assaults every sense. Scenarios which require the use of that skill set in a live situation are demanding of both the body, and the mind, and there is no gaming environment that can prepare a person to perform even the simplest required task safely and efficiently out in the real world, as opposed to the digital landscape.

Just the traveling on foot that passes by in a game without a single burnt calorie on the part of the player, in a real world scenario, has the ability to sap ones vitality if one is not used to it. This at least is a skill which I have developed out in the world, familiar as I am with the 20km hike, just for laughs. A computer game cannot prepare you for the ache that sets in after a day out in the real world, nor for the day after, dragging ones carcass out of ones pit, despite burning calf muscles, strained groin, stiff back and shoulders.

The experience of being out of doors cannot be replaced or even assisted by a video game, from what I can tell of the matter at any rate. The experience is far too physical, and the consequences of failure too great, to contemplate relying on such a thing as a digital experience, to train for it.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:23 AM
a reply to: TrueBrit

I still dont know why people bother with all that when you can excel at urban hunting... I mean... bug out bags, and all that crap... yea... when you've spent all you're city's resources and that will take a while.

Like our new born hero Ventura there used to say "You've never hunted before until you've hunted men" lol... he would know right? ahhaha... no he doesnt, still... its easier to be an urban hunter and to form communities of "like minded individuals" in cities, then in the middle of freakin nowhere where I can spot you a mile away with a thermal scope ... "... oh look there goes a "off the grid" one...."

I've been trained to live from what I can get so... I can safely say that cities are the places that most abundant of everything - sure they're dangerous, but hey... I wasnt teached to eat rabbit either

new topics

<<   2 >>