It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Test For Nerds

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

So either God is great or we are have all won tattslotto a billion times over. Perhaps that is even more mysterious than the creation itself and drove people like Isaac Newton into science.

Perhaps we're a very tiny part of a very large failure that hasn't quite breathed its last yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnarchoCapitalist

originally posted by: Lipton
I don't understand the point system you listed. Does this mean that the pope IS knowledgeable in science?

heh - I'm pointing out the "faith" mainstream cosmology requires from its adherents.

Mainstream cosmology is a religious belief system, not unlike Christianity.

Science becomes the master of atheists and not the other way around.
Christianity masters science and rules science.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
OP, please read and digest this:
www.sciencedirect.com - Scientific faith: Belief in science increases in the face of stress and existential anxiety...

I do not have an agenda. I am merely throwing a link out there.

Do with it what you will.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: spirited75

Science becomes the master of atheists and not the other way around.
Christianity masters science and rules science.

And yet, we never see a priest skydiving without a parachute. Seems like they are more afraid of gravity than they are sure of God.

edit on 27-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

There is an old zen saying, to learn something new, we must forget everything, so preconceptions will always interfere with our thought processes but I don't see the cosmic egg as having anything to do with religion myself as creation in the bible doesn't go into specifics (Hinduism probably tells us more about the creation - breath of brahma expansion then contraction).

Einstein just accepted the static view at the time as he was more interested in uniting the forces. He may have seen alternatives to Lemaître cosmic egg which might explain his hesitation. An expanding Universe certainly doesn't rule out other possibilities to big bang but science will choose the best theory at the time until a better one comes along.

String theorist have suggested that two massive banes from an alternate dimension colliding could have created the energy for our universe. If the collision is still occurring matter could be still entering our universe at an accelerating rate. That might explain expansion and the cosmic microwave background radiation without the divide by zero errors that results from the singularity.

Unfortunately its all guess work at this stage.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Or perhaps we are just being fooled by the display of an holographic universe. Science is young it might take thousands of years before we have a better understanding.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

eros vs thanatos

physical laws, that are universal, absolute and objective.

there are moral and spiritual laws that share the identical qualities

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75

eros vs thanatos

physical laws, that are universal, absolute and objective.

there are moral and spiritual laws that share the identical qualities

Love vs Death. Why is it ALWAYS a competition with people? Death is exactly as natural a force as any kind of emotional attachment. Everything weakens, everything perishes, everything changes.

I can kind of understand the appeal in something that lasts forever. But that kind of hope is born out of fear. And if there's one thing I understand, it's that life can be vastly more terrible than any death you care to describe. Death is a mercy.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
yes we are our own little gods.

eros=life seeking force
thanatos=death seeking force

the struggle between the two uses of energy in a beings life.
of course the priest will use a parachute,
they are humans first after all.
and God did endow them with intelligence

the theological virtues are faith hope and love.

resentment is the root of all spiritual illness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join