It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Term limits? lousy idea

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:22 PM
a reply to: Diderot

I answered that I thought. I think lobbyists are empowered by entrenched power more. My analogy wasn't the most artful.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:24 PM
NOT having term limits has given us this congress, this senate, this house of representatives.

Um, yes. To term limits.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:32 PM
Term limits PLUS lobby and campaignreform are the only way we will keep the tentacles of corruption from spreading.

Congress will never self-impose term limits, but the states can.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:46 PM
I would be all for limiting the terms that any politician can serve---if---we institute a new way of electing them. My first change would be to outlaw all political parties---abolish them entirely. I would be all in favor of instituting a draft to have people serve as Congress critters. Pick half a dozen names out of the voter rolls and get far fewer crooks than we have today. Oh, yeah, you'd probably still have a few low-lifes but not the percentage we see today. Obviously, it doesn't take a lot of intelligence to serve in that body, just look at the numbskulls we have today! I say the Average Joe could go up there for a few years and make a bigger difference in our system of government that we can even imagine---if they didn't have a party affiliation to consider.
And while we're abolishing, let's just abolish lobbyists also. In today's world of instant communications, there is absolutely no need for anyone to stand in as a lobbyist for someone's ideas, we can all communicate our thoughts, wishes and demands directly.
One last thing----make the penalty for misuse of office severe----a firing squad, conducted on public television.
That's my independent dream!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:22 PM
a reply to: Diderot

Term limits! The solution to all our problems, right?

Nope , most people aren't suggesting term limits as the magical fix. Term limits is part of the answer. The bigger problem is with the lobbying process and the infinite cpac donations. We have technology to change how the population get heard by its elected officials. Now its only the highest bidder that gets heard which is the minority of the population.

Lobbyists are salivating at the idea of term limits

Actually the opposite is the truth, and even Jack Abramoff former lobbying giant said that term limits would make things more difficult for them after he got out of jail.

Besides his statement which I take with a grain of salt his reason behind it does make common sense: Its not like a lobbying firm walks up to an elected official and says here is 1 million dollars so get this passed.

There is still risks involved , trust , backstabbing,reliability and the possibility of being exposed. These relationships take years of investment to setup and once they are setup they don't want to get rid of them due to the amount of time and money it took to establish.

In addition , they just don't throw money at elected officials to pass their bills they actualyl take time and money in developing psychological methods and research to convince the elected officials that beside the million dollar incentive its the right thing or only thing to do and or its going to get passed anyways.

Having term limits , closed door policies, restricted lobbying, and no private funding is the best we can do to ensure a gov't works for the people and not the highest bidding corporation.
edit on 32630America/ChicagoThu, 26 Jun 2014 22:32:38 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:27 PM
Proposing to ignore the need for term limits to stave off lobbyists is not even close to a solution.

How about we tie the hands of lobbyists to reduce the amount of pork available for them to shovel? Busting the lobbies is just as important as term limits.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:37 PM
not only do we need term limits, we need to put a serious eye on the bureaucrats that run the alphabet agencies.
not the just heads of the agencies that people see everyday or that make the news constantly, i'm talking about people like lois lerner, has any one ever heard of her before the scandal. these are the ones who can do damage that is never seen until it's to late.

top topics

<< 1   >>