It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meter installed at my house without my knowledge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hello everyone. I had just noticed outside my house the meter was changed on my property without a mention to me.

Flexnet 300 GM

I don't like the idea of smart meters. Are they allowed to install these without communicating with me first and if I request to have it removed will them tell me to bugger off?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17
I found that my utility providers send me notification prior to servicing the meters.

Two of mine are inside which would require me to let them in. I have not let them change my water meter as the last time they did the main ruptured right before the gate valve and flooded my basement.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Are they allowed to install these without communicating with me first and if I request to have it removed will them tell me to bugger off?

It depends on where you live about the communication first but now that it is installed I think you are SOL.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
They did the same to me, I think I'll smash it with a baseball bat. I was away for a spell, it hasn't been turned on yet.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Not too far back BC hydro (electricity monopoly in BC) mandated replacement of all of the conventional meters with smart meters. I remember hearing about all sorts of "OMG, MY BILL RAISED BY $300!!" posts on local forums. They completed replacements of the conventional meters about 2 years ago, at least in my town and surrounding areas, and I have noticed no bill increase whatsoever. It's quite nice actually. The BC hydro website now graphs everything out in near real-time, and you can view hourly usage during the day, weekly peaks, costs, etc.

The smart meters also wirelessly transmits diagnostics to BC hydro even in the event of a power outage, which alerts them instantaneously to individual outages and an idea of the cause. I have noticed a sharp decrease in wait time during power outages since they were implemented.

Honestly, I'm all for the smart meters. We still have the conventional meters for gas line though, so still random workers walking onto property to read the meters, lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Faraday cage that mofo.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I believe they can without your knowledge or approval on their own equipment, which they have a right to service update, repair and replace as long as its theirs.

Doesnt matter if its on your property...as its their equipment. So, if it doesnt affect your service from them, doesnt cost the subscriber any money to install or replace, doesnt increase your bill any....then they can do whatever with and to their service product.

All in the guise of "better service'...and I dont believe they need any permission to get to monitor the performance of it. Its theirs....and we pay to use it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
PS Dont destroy it! They will charge you for it AND for coming out to REPLACE IT anyway...with a new one. Youll end up paying for both....

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
From the electric company? If yes then no you don't get a choice unless it's the choice of living in the dark or having your own electric generator. They choose their equipment not you. You just pay for it. w reply to: Antipathy17

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I used to be a meter reader. I have changed faulty meters without notifying the owner. I would knock on the door first to explain what I was doing. If there was no answer, I did my job and moved on.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
Not too far back BC hydro (electricity monopoly in BC) mandated replacement of all of the conventional meters with smart meters. I remember hearing about all sorts of "OMG, MY BILL RAISED BY $300!!" posts on local forums. They completed replacements of the conventional meters about 2 years ago, at least in my town and surrounding areas, and I have noticed no bill increase whatsoever. It's quite nice actually. The BC hydro website now graphs everything out in near real-time, and you can view hourly usage during the day, weekly peaks, costs, etc.

The smart meters also wirelessly transmits diagnostics to BC hydro even in the event of a power outage, which alerts them instantaneously to individual outages and an idea of the cause. I have noticed a sharp decrease in wait time during power outages since they were implemented.

Honestly, I'm all for the smart meters. We still have the conventional meters for gas line though, so still random workers walking onto property to read the meters, lol.

My bc hydro bill went up. Not by much but it did.

The wait times on the power outages have increased and the power out hotline is way off on " estimated wait time for power restored". Live, real time my ass! It was wrong in the phone recording and the power out website.

Do you work for hydro or something?
I

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

lol I guess it just comes down to individual experience. I am by no means saying these things cannot happen, merely noting my observations since the meters were implemented. The wait times on the phone are way off, but in the opposite way for me. Had a power outage 2 days ago, they gave an estimate and power was restored 3 hours earlier than the estimate. Just one example, but my experience overall has been very positive with the new meters.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that BC Hydro's cost is among the lowest $/mA-h in all of North America, so I wouldn't exactly oppose a slight increase in my bill. "It's still going to be cheaper than everywhere else but we oppose a price increase anyway!" is a silly argument, lol.
edit on 27/6/14 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think when you get power from a company, it says in the contract that they have a right to their equipment at all times and that they do not have to tell you when they are on your property. Two years ago I caught the tax man walking around my house and I was on him like white on rice.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
To change my meter, they have to go through a locked gate (2 or 3 if I'm not home), then deal with the dog, so probably in their best interest to let me know.

top topics

join