It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
this is why i can't get into soccer

The word "pansy" is used exclusively for American Football ( why they call it football when they use their hands God only knows)

All that weird dressing up gear. Crash helmets, 1980's women's shoulder pads and protection around theirs arses make them look like cross dresses.

Here are some of those you call pansies:-

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
...the far right is getting stupider and stupider!

I am not close to being on the far right but I waver back and forth on what is a more boring sport to watch, soccer or golf.

At least with soccer, you have all of that highly amusing and ridiculous "fouls" to watch. I swear sometimes the guys across the field from a bump fall down and clutch their knees while writing in pain.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

you see the size of american football players? if they didn't wear the gear they would kill each other.

I see your vid and raise you people with sticks

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi
a reply to: UMayBRite!

A lot of times the camera angle from birds eye viewish doesnt show it, but when they show instant replays you can tell that the contact would cause some pain. These players run like 16 mph at each other, with very tiny shine guards, and very strong legs, and very flimsy shoes, and trip and kick each others legs. I bet you wince when you stub your toe.

Trust me when you are fouled sorely you do not roll you hit the deck and stay there. Players who roll around are not fooling the ref. The number of times players go down grabbing "the sore bit" which wasn't even touched !!!!!! is ridiculous. However, that is the fault of the refs and the football authorities for not stamping out that behaviour. There should also be post match fines and penalities for fakery.

Trust me as soon as key players are suspended for 2 or 3 games the clubs will make damn sure their players play by the rules.

Automatic bookings : shirt pulling, diving , approaching the ref by any player except the captains. Luckily I live in the UK where football here is a bit more robust with some much better referees than abroad.

But, apart from some aspects that need sorting out, football is "the beautiful game" and those who don't like it just don't understand it.

Ann coulter is lacking.

Balls.........ironically enough

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

you see the size of american football players? if they didn't wear the gear they would kill each other.

American football is the women's version of Rugby Union

Lacrosse? LOL

Try having a ball that is as hard as a brick coming at you at over 100 mph

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Ann Coulter has no knowledge of soccer. Teams without strong individuals within a team never win big.

And this kind of thinking about soccer is one of the reasons the U.S. Soccer Team never wins big.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

You made my point when you stated this:-

" you see the size of american football players? if they didn't wear the gear they would kill each other. "

You see, "real men " aren't afraid of getting hurt or injured. That's why Rugby players wear zero protection.

edit on 27-6-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Lacrosse? LOL

Lacrosse IS having a ball, as hard as a brick, coming at you at over 100 mph...followed by the player at 16 mph, and possibly his stick.

It is, easily, one of the most physically demanding sports around...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

American football is the women's version of Rugby Union

Lacrosse? LOL

Oh, well if you are getting into rugby and lacrosse (a native American game and very popular here and getting more so every year), I have to agree with you. Rugby players and missing teeth are quite common and very, very rough. It is a sport very popular in the US Marines because of this very thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I had my knee kicked to the other side of my leg when playing football, I had concussion twice, kicked in the neck at the age of 12 and they thought I broke my neck (snapped a muscle that is all) so don't tell me it can not be a hard sport.
Sure the professionals make it look easy but they can and do get booted around.

Oh and not hard?

Look at this chap.

Oh and as for the person in the OP....idiot of the highest degree.

Oh and seeing this has turned into a friendly game of your sport is crap...

The problem is in that all USAer sports are only really played by themselves because the rest of the world loves footy, rugby and cricket.

The world cup is the biggest team game event on the planet and always will be, it is the fact in that your don't have to be over 6 foot and 250 lbs to play you need skill, sorry but they use their feet to move the ball around where most others use their hands.
The world cup brings together the world like no other sporting event and I am happy many of the US people are catching on.

Come on guys even If you think its a namby pamby sport get behind your country and give them a roar!!!.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Plus we have the best chants

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I agree it is dangerous that one much more than any mentioned here.

You know what the most dangerous sport is around? Horse riding.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Listen to what she's really saying. I think she is using soccer more metaphorically than literally. Ann Coulter is not my favorite pundit, but she is no dummy. She believes strongly in the independent spirit and individual recognition and reward. IMO, she is making some valid social points, although they are bound to offend.......which is what Ann Coulter intends to do. She definitely starts a conversation.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I watched 56 seconds of that video. Now I understand more about the possible conditions in Hell.

I was able to watch more of that rainbow-colored cat flying across the screen. (I forget, was she excreting stars?)

What I don't understand is how that video was produced. They must have taken a short clip and repeated it ad nauseum. Post nauseum, if you care for my honest opinion. There is no way that a group of sentient beings could last 3 minutes chanting that.

Oh! Wait! Maybe there is. Do people ever get drunk at football matches?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Of course we do

Pub before the game a few during and a load more booze and chanting, get kicked out of pub then a kebab on the way home before being sick at around 3am.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

" you see the size of american football players? if they didn't wear the gear they would kill each other. "

You see, "real men " aren't afraid of getting hurt or injured. That's why Rugby players wear zero protection.

You do know that there is a difference between "getting hurt or injured" and killing someone right? By the way, American football players are NOTORIOUS for playing through serious injuries. What do you think all those concussion lawsuits are about that the NFL has been getting?

@thread topic: Coulter is a moron. I may not like soccer, but at least I understand that there is very high level strategy and teamwork employed. And if individual stars didn't mean anything then David Beckham coming and playing for the MLS wouldn't have boosted its ratings considerably. She needs to be slapped upside the head for spewing nonsense about something she knows nothing about.
edit on 27-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
a reply to: charles1952
this is Anne Coulter - she doesn't do humour - at least not deliberately - she is, actually, serious.

I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

but of course yes it is easily seen as humorous by normal people - I'll take that beer as we laugh at her

I wonder what her thoughts are, 'as an American' , on blueberry pie?

As far as moral decay?
People spend way too much brain power on any sport.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating
Ann Coulter has no knowledge of soccer. Teams without strong individuals within a team never win big.

And this kind of thinking about soccer is one of the reasons the U.S. Soccer Team never wins big.

Not entirely true and from memory the States has won a lot more international games than they have lost recently. The US football (the world plays football and not soccer) team will win big when other sports allow the game to attract and hold the attention it deserves. I really believe, NFL, baseball etc. fear football from gaining traction due to loss of commercial revenue.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You do know that there is a difference between "getting hurt or injured" and killing someone right? By the way, American football players are NOTORIOUS for playing through serious injuries. What do you think all those concussion lawsuits are about that the NFL has been getting?

@thread topic: Coulter is a moron. I may not like soccer, but at least I understand that there is very high level strategy and teamwork employed. And if individual stars didn't mean anything then David Beckham coming and playing for the MLS wouldn't have boosted its ratings considerably. She needs to be slapped upside the head for spewing nonsense about something she knows nothing about.

Of course i know the difference.

Unfortunately Rugby players have died due to their injuries. Very sad indeed. Here are a few instances:-

www.independent.co.uk...

www.nzherald.co.nz...

Rugby is probably the toughest game played.

edit on 27-6-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I find commercials boring. American TV (sports included) is designed with advertising in mind. Commercial breaks suck.

One of the things I like about soccer is that once that clock starts, nothing stops it.

Hmmm. Could it be that this the real worry? That if this becomes wickedly popular then how will networks be able to carry it without the money from commercial sponsorship?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join