It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
This last Sunday I watched some FIFA games. It was the first soccer I had watched in many years.

I was amused and appalled at a change in the game. Everytime someone had any contact
they fell to the ground and grimaced like they were dying Apparently this was in the hopes
of impressing the judges to call a foul. I mad them look like the worst sort of sissies.

I entirely agree with the premise.

I can only imagine what a American football game would look like if the players did that!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UMayBRite!

Which game was that? Last Sunday, we had USA vs Portugal, Belgium vs Russia and South Korea vs Algeria.

Out of the lot, I'd reckon the Portuguese would the woosiest.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkorange

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Awwww...poor Ann wasn't getting enough attention.

She cracks me up.

while it cracks you up, the rest of your neighbors giving her thumbs up. Next thing you know, your house is burnt or you will have to humiliate yourself by supporting them against the threat of being dabbed a traitor.

cheers)))

I said "probably" because 1.) she usually does when she pulls a stunt like this and 2.) I don't really care enough to check and will let an educated guess suffice.

Omigosh. Chill. She's probably just got a new book coming out and needs the publicity.

Key word is 'probably'. Now, you have intentionally thrown this into your reply, have you not? lol))

Ok, nothing to look at here.

Why, yes. How astute of you. I said "probably" because 1.) she generally does when she pulls a stunt like this and 2.) I don't really care enough to check and so will let an educated guess suffice.
edit on 6/26/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Awwww...poor Ann wasn't getting enough attention.

She cracks me up.

while it cracks you up, the rest of your neighbors giving her thumbs up. Next thing you know, your house is burnt or you will have to humiliate yourself by supporting them against the threat of being dabbed a traitor.

cheers)))

I said "probably" because 1.) she usually does when she pulls a stunt like this and 2.) I don't really care enough to check and will let an educated guess suffice.

Omigosh. Chill. She's probably just got a new book coming out and needs the publicity.

Key word is 'probably'. Now, you have intentionally thrown this into your reply, have you not? lol))

Ok, nothing to look at here.

Why, yes. How astute of you. I said "probably" because 1.) she generally does when she pulls a stunt like this and 2.) I don't really care enough to check and so will let an educated guess suffice.

A stunt you say.

Second, if you let go something like with an attitude you just posed, sooner or later things will happen I described in my post earlier...
yes, the one where you will have to humiliate yourself in exchange for your safety. Been there, done that))

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Is she not an attention whore? Srly, not going to address any of here points, but in general will speak on my take of sports.

I was fairly athletic growing up, but didn't have the spirit in me for team play. I now work out, alone, bike, swim, and sprint. That's it.

Growing up, and in early adulthood, I thought sports were a sign of low intellect. It didn't make much sense to me, and I tended to look down on people who would devote so much time to it. Well, I'm a little older, a tid bit wiser, and have a different take.

I think sports are a means of pro-socially letting off some steam, for those who tend to have high testosterone coursing through their veins. I reason that if not sports, it would be fighting, or in general having high tensions that need to be released. I have my own means of release, so can see others needing to get physical and bash on each other. Whatever.

I do think it's easy to distract people with sports. It seems pretty obvious that the more people get tuned into sports, the less they're able to put their energies into more intellectual pursuits. I don't really understand why people would focus on sports when there's so many important things going on that are affecting the species. The easy counter is it's a needed release from the ever building pressures we all seem to be facing. Well, okay. To each their own. Just not my thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
"the less they're able to put their energies into more intellectual pursuits"

I'm a fairly big football (soccer) fan, being from the UK it was a strong social part of my upbringing. However I personally find watching sports to be very relaxing where my mind can wander freely. I have some of my most inspiring moments watching sport, not because of the game but because of my state of mind whilst watching the game. Some, most even, football games can be incredibly boring, the commentators don't help and its only when the ball gets near the goal that anyone really takes any notice.

Some people like knitting too and can remember the 1984 red and white striped scarf which they passed on to their children which in turn got passed on to their children. Such a soft wool and tight knitting its stilling going strong today. Each to their own indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
How is this lunatic even popular? I mean she just plays mean to get paid, but how does she live with herself or is it more...is she really insane and not acting?

I don't really think it's all an act I think she's nuts, I think there really is a mental problem with some of these people. I wouldn't want any of them in or near my house or place of business and that list includes: Ann, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, savage...I know the guys on the left, or supposed left, like in MSNBC get paid to stir things up too, but they don't come across as this mean or this insane, heck they are so ineffective and unoffensive that I don't even know any of their names.....it's like if these people were at my house and they acted up I could just tell the MSNBC people to leave and they would. They might even apologize to me...the crazy right wing nut-jobs in the list above... just seem like they would explode, grab a kitchen knife and start killing my family or something! Totally nuts!
edit on 26-6-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I much prefer cricket. That is a gentleman's game.

Me too - I can bowl a mean right arm slow hittable

However it is less and less so these days it seems with all the scandals - but it is a nerd's heaven with all those stats

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Any game that goes on for 5 days is inhuman - unless it is Monopoly...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I can't stand that guy. He should get a hobby. His political commentary makes him look like a silly broad.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: UMayBRite!

A lot of times the camera angle from birds eye viewish doesnt show it, but when they show instant replays you can tell that the contact would cause some pain. These players run like 16 mph at each other, with very tiny shine guards, and very strong legs, and very flimsy shoes, and trip and kick each others legs. I bet you wince when you stub your toe.

The other aspect is that the rules of the game are such that; it is illegal, or a foul, for you to make contact with a players legs, thought if it is a clean slide tackle through and you hit the ball first some tripping is allowed.

So often if a player is running, and given maximum effort to get by a defender, and the defender clips their legs a little, illegally, and they attempt to play through it, they may than lose the ball, and not receive the benefit the rules of the game are designed to allow. So instead, though I cannot say how many of the fouls are truly painful, vs. contact and embellishment, they sometimes embellish, to show the ref that they were illegally challenged, their play was impeded, and they deserve the ball. Failure to do so would be like a store owner getting robbed and shot and not calling the police because they are worried if you will think they are tough or not.

Soccer is a beautiful game of geometry and physics and human physiology, intelligence, and supreme endurance and finesse.

If you dont like it, good for you.

Ann coulter is lacking.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
Any game that goes on for 5 days is inhuman - unless it is Monopoly...

It made the British Empire great - all those subalterns who could stand a cricket ball at 80mph with bugger-all padding had no trouble with leading the troops against the fuzzy-wuzzies!

It is no coincidence that it all started going downhill in 1882!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well I think Baseball and American football is boring, I tried to watch the super bowl once and could not watch any more after 20 minutes.
Why do you guys call that sport football, it's more like rugby and they hardly ever use their foot.

Real football is the number 1 sport

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: alldaylong

Uh huh. For you and Stu:

Really no comparison when these guys take these hits and football(soccer) players roll around on the ground like they were shot because someone happened to be in their area.

ahahahahaha! like they were shot, lol!!!

good one!

anne was joking but kinda means it.

soccer is boring. except shaolin soccer.

world cup is only popular coz it's held every 4 yrs.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Footballers soft? Nah, not all of them.
Anyone who thinks there's no pressure on an individual obviously hasn't ever watched a penalty taken. just google Gareth Southgate..one miss defined his career.

Stevie G getting all that grief for a slip, then the header for Suarez to score off...there's a huge list of times people have gotten grief over their performance just as there's an equally long list of those lionised for stellar individual performances.

It's the same in rugby, a team game but every individual has the chance to shine or otherwise.
There's no hiding, despite what some deluded nutcase thinks.
edit on 52pFri, 27 Jun 2014 06:17:52 -050020142014-06-27T06:17:52-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30uk by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade — or about the length of the average soccer game — so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

Hahahahaha...that's the dumbest of comments I've read in awhile. And the following:

Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer.

is even dumber. I don't how can someone come up with such BS but that shows once again the connection between brain damage and fast food. How can a growing interests damage a nation's moral standard? Europe has been crazy about soccer for generation but the moral standard there has always been higher than the US. Even to this day and age, the moral norms are still strong in most of the European countries while in US we see moral values becoming extinct.

Then the part about individual achievement doesn't even deserve a comment. I say this to the author: Ann Coulter, commenting about sports it ain't your thing. Just let sport's commentary to them who understand sports. Or stop writing while PMS-in.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I am not close to being on the far right but I waver back and forth on what is a more boring sport to watch, soccer or golf.

Curling is where it's at, man.

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
However it is less and less so these days it seems with all the scandals - but it is a nerd's heaven with all those stats

There are cricket scandals?

edit on 27-6-2014 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

American Football is the English game of Rugby, with a few rule changes. Rugby players do not wear the cissy protective clothing as in American Football.

That's because American football players aren't little runts like your rugby players.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I have never heard of this person Coulter.

I wonder if she would be saying the same about football if had been invented in The U.S.?
I very much doubt it.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
this is why i can't get into soccer

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join