It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Or a torn ankle. I played football(soccer) all through school. That was the worst. I think it's a mans sport(Yeah, I know the ladies play it too) I'm just a little miffed at the way our sports are poopoo'd by those that really don't understand them. The NFL can be quite complex.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You didn't say anything about an average (queue you going back for a quick edit now...) you just said players weighing over 300lbs, which is strictly limited to the linemen.

NFL average weights for squads, for this year, hover around the 260-270lb mark.

NFL average weights

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
it's because you have 2 teams - offence and defence, and an 80 min (?) game takes 3-4 hours to play, and because of the cheating & corruptions that goes into "football scholarships" & because the players wear helmets, but mostly, ESPECIALLY, it is because of forward passes

I have been to 1 gridiron game - had a ball - sitting way up the back among Oakland fans at Oakland with a foreign accent and a union cap on (from my Bro-in-law's best man) they couldn't do enough for me - explained the game, bought me beer & hotdogs - I have great memories of the game (Oakland vs Cleveland in Oakland about Sept 2000), and even enjoyed the football.

but y'all still have forward passes and padding

edit on 26-6-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Thanks for doing the legwork. My point stands.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Or a torn ankle. I played football(soccer) all through school. That was the worst. I think it's a mans sport(Yeah, I know the ladies play it too) I'm just a little miffed at the way our sports are poopoo'd by those that really don't understand them. The NFL can be quite complex.

To be honest the complexity of american football is quite like soccer. Both sports are much more like chess than the "checkers" strategy that most sports employ.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

yeah well they breed them to be roadblocks - rugby players are expected to actually manouvre around the field - all of them...Except for Springbok tight forwards
.......for the whole game (more or less), without commercial breaks or helmets, on offence and defence, and to actually engage in sustained close combat

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Dear Aloysius,

I'd like to try to mend any fences on this subject. (What does that mean? I don't want to repair fences between us, I want to tear them down.)

How about if we say that Coulter is a powerful personality who often uses harsh criticism and satire in her works. Many of the things she says are offensive to some, and like anyone who is responsible for the vast number of worlds involved in their career, sometimes comes up with something really inexplicable and dumb. (Even people who use teleprompters are sometimes entirely incomprehensible. She writes her own stuff.)

But, in my opinion she is sometimes pretty funny. Here are some examples taken from her columns with the last 9 months or so that struck me as funny. Do you see them that way also?

"I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo."

"Why not go to war just for oil? We need oil. What do Hollywood celebrities imagine fuels their private jets? How do they think their coc aine is delivered to them?"

Referring to Adam Lanza, the insane killer and his manifesto:

I'm one of the few who have read all 141 pages. It is a tale of increasing delusions, paranoia, hallucinations and wild, grandiose self-assessments. In other words, it is a slightly less whiny version of Obama's first inaugural address. (How many pages does your manifesto have to be before we can force you to take your medication?)

A reporter for the British Guardian claimed Davis was "very possibly innocent." Amnesty International issued a statement after the execution, announcing that Georgia had "executed a person who may well be innocent." (In the same sense that I "may well be" an astronaut named Smitty.)

The government simply cannot force all insurance companies to give subsidized health care to a third of the country, to ignore the pre-existing health conditions of its customers, to pay for every little thing tangentially related to health -- like smoking cessation programs, marital counseling and pediatric dental care -- and also expect them to cover your cancer treatment.

It doesn't matter if you've been paying for insurance your whole adult life. That policy is now "illegal." Put your hands in the air, nice and easy, and step away from the policy ...

Unable to comment on the "Duck Dynasty" controversy last week due to my hectic Kwanzaa schedule, I am able to sweep in at the end and comment on the commentary.

Karenga, the founder of Kwanzaa, worked with the FBI:

Kwanzaa praises collectivism in every possible area of life -- economics, work, personality, even litter removal. ("Kuumba: Everyone should strive to improve the community and make it more beautiful.") It takes a village to raise a police snitch.

When Karenga was asked to distinguish Kawaida, the philosophy underlying Kwanzaa, from "classical Marxism," he essentially said that, under Kawaida, we also hate whites. (Kawaida, Kwanzaa and Kuumba are also the only three Kardashian sisters not to have their own shows on the E! network.)

Rather than constantly playing defense on gun rights, why don't Republicans force Democrats into taking uncomfortable positions for once? Make them choose between ticking off the ACLU or ticking off soccer moms -- as well as all of sane America. (Don't kid yourself: The non-insane are still a potent voting bloc in this country.)

A couple of weeks ago, the Times ran another item downplaying the coming crime surge under Mayor de Blasio. Former hedge fund manager Neil Barsky wrote a column mocking his fellow 1-percenters for fretting about the new mayor with this advice: "Calm down." (I find few balms as soothing as being told to "calm down.")

Anyway, I think she can be funny and used a lot of humor (humour?) in this column.

Comparing the two "footballs?" I don't see how you can, they're different in every way. Both have good points.

(But in the interest of full disclosure, I went to High School in Minnesota's Twin Cities. My mother, with me tagging along, fought the principal and the school board with the result that I was on the first soccer team officially recognized by the city's public school system. What a fight that was. It's a great game. I wasn't flashy but I played defense in a pretty solid way.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: solomons path

The only complexity that a NA would have problem with is the definition of Offsides in football(from now on if I refer to American football it will be "NFL". Too confusing) In hockey offsides happens at the "blue line". That line is a lot more open in football.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Go ahead. Play rugby like they play NFL football and see what happens. The speed and size. There wouldn't be a league left after 2 seasons.

Seems unlikely - taking 3-4 hours for a 80 minute game gives plenty of time for resting. Having a whole other team come on for half the game means you're only doing half the work for starters.

IMO the reverse is true - play NFL without the heavy padding, limited substitutions, no separate teams for offence & defence, no add breaks (game stops for serious injury), players staying on the field for the whole game.....

how long would your NFL last?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You obviously haven't seen Portugal play in the last 20 years. No wonder they can't win. Send a football team, not a diving squad.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

a reply to: solomons path

The only complexity that a NA would have problem with is the definition of Offsides in football(from now on if I refer to American football it will be "NFL". Too confusing) In hockey offsides happens at the "blue line". That line is a lot more open in football.

So, I guess the Roughriders and Stampeders don't do it for ya, then?

Right . . . that's why very few understand soccer and claim it's just a bunch of guys running around kicking the ball to each other.

And I'd rather call American football . . . NCAA . . . NFL is boring and predicable.

That said . . . I still enjoy my Cardinals season tickets and attending the games live.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

So they play like they should be in the NBA?

Muahahahahaha!

link   

You obviously haven't seen Portugal play in the last 20 years. No wonder they can't win. Send a football team, not a diving squad.

You can throw Italy . . . France . . . and Spain into that category, as well.

link   

Personally, I believe FOOTBALL, that is, a game played with a spherical ball, often by over paid prima donnas, is far less of a sign of moral decay, than supporting the notion that anything other than a fully nationalised health service is ever going to be acceptable in a country which values equality.

But there again, I hate football. I think it is a game played by knuckle dragging, dull eyed halfwits, at the professional level anyway, who are not worth even a quarter of their yearly salary. I much prefer cricket. That is a gentleman's game.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Team sports are for filthy communists; individual sport and individual glory is the only real concern for a healthy red-blooded capitalist American.

Can't be too red-blooded though, too much red blood is also a sign of a filthy communist. If you bleed red see a doctor today it's not to late to get that dirty liberal juice out of you.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Yup - had 'em all playing Football. Rugby, not a single injury, although I was a winger, so my job was to run very, very fast away from the big scary blokes. I did get knocked out once, but hauled myself back to my feet and carried on.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Not really..

That's like saying 2+2=6 and when pointed out it's actually 4, saying "See, I was right, it's close!"

Some of those teams have an average weight as low as 250lbs - the highest being 278lbs. A long way off your 300lb benchmark.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Portugal isn't a Northern European Team - they're one of those latin countries that care more for their hair style. When anyone says "North Europe" it's including countries like Germany, England, Scandinavia, Holland etc.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Anything Anne Coulter says can be translated to "Look at me look at me look at me"

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: darkorange

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Awwww...poor Ann wasn't getting enough attention.

She cracks me up.

while it cracks you up, the rest of your neighbors giving her thumbs up. Next thing you know, your house is burnt or you will have to humiliate yourself by supporting them against the threat of being dabbed a traitor.

cheers)))

Omigosh. Chill. She's probably just got a new book coming out and needs the publicity.

Key word is 'probably'. Now, you have intentionally thrown this into your reply, have you not? lol))

Ok, nothing to look at here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join