It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Seriously - all you folks who cheered on the USA getting to the final 16 - you are a therreason for America being weak and divided -

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade — or about the length of the average soccer game — so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

• Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls — all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they're standing alone at the plate. But there's also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.

In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised. There's a reason perpetually alarmed women are called "soccer moms," not "football moms."

truly US political madness!!

the far right is getting stupider and stupider!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
...the far right is getting stupider and stupider!

I am not close to being on the far right but I waver back and forth on what is a more boring sport to watch, soccer or golf.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree - people have different sporting interests - no problem with that - I find soccer boring as hell.

But a sign of moral decay??

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

I think there is enough "STUPID" in BOTH parties to go around plenty. Division is their main tool to make us hate each other and get riled up too!

See! Look what you just did. You played right into it by smearing all Republicans for something one of them said!

Opinions are like a certain smelly orifice. Everyone has one and they all stink.

link   
Drinking from the same soured well:
Fox Panelist: World Cup Is A Way For Obama To 'Distract People'

"This is a way to distract people," Ablow continued. "This is like Rome. I can see why Obama would love the World Cup --"

+3 more 
link   

This is coming from a "woman" with an adam's apple so large it looks like she swallowed a baseball. I'd bet with man hands like that, she's actually a big fan of basketball.

I'm kidding! (not really)

To her points:

it's a team sport - what isn't? golf?
it's not violent enough - compared to what? Even with the shoulder biting?
it's "foreign" - yeah, we get it, you're a xenophobe

I propose a new sport, we'll call it "Pundit Piñata." We'll suspend political pundits a few feet in the air and individuals will take turns whacking them with a stick while they talk. The first player to whack Ann Coulter, I mean the pundit, into blissful silence, scores.

Seems to fit the bill for all of her qualifications! Individual achievement, violent and domestic!
edit on 2014-6-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

But a sign of moral decay??

Maybe the 'everyone gets a trophy' aspect of contemporary youth sports, but that is not just indicative of soccer.

When I was younger we played Police Athletic League baseball and only the two teams that made it to the championship game got a trophy. The winner's was obviously larger than the loser's.

Now you get a 'participation trophy'. What the hell does that teach you?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Every time these people open there mouths they sound more stupid than they already were.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Dear Aloysius the Gaul,

I wish I could convey tone of voice, but I'm typing this with a faint smile, as I throw an arm around your shoulders and say "Come on, I'll buy you a beer."

This one time, you've missed and missed completely. Even I, a crabby old grouch, saw this as a humorous column. I don't know how to explain it in one sentence (that's why we're going for the beer), but this isn't what you seem to think it is.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
She is part of a industry thats makes money saying outrages and stupid things. Like Sara Palin people only invite her on to get just that sort of reaction and attention. I do not think it does the GOP any harm because people just toss her in a tea party nutter whom most of GOP can not stand anyway.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lichter daraus

I lost a few brain cells just reading her words. There's no doubt in my mind she is a tool of massive proportions and why anyone listens to her baffles me.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952
this is Anne Coulter - she doesn't do humour - at least not deliberately - she is, actually, serious.

I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

but of course yes it is easily seen as humorous by normal people - I'll take that beer as we laugh at her

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I find commercials boring. American TV (sports included) is designed with advertising in mind. Commercial breaks suck.

One of the things I like about soccer is that once that clock starts, nothing stops it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
See! Look what you just did. You played right into it by smearing all Republicans for something one of them said!

I didn't smear "all republicans" - I mentioned the FAR right....and calling hem stupid is a smear on other stupid people!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
An article of somebody whom clearly does not understand the sport and cant follow a game. To the uninitiated American football is people wrestling into each other and out of the gay pileup somebody brings the Egg to the endzone.

Run-of-the-mill, regular-season Sunday Night Football games average more than 20 million viewers; NFL playoff games get 30 to 40 million viewers; and this year's Super Bowl had 111.5 million viewers.

No American sport (well none of the two) has an equivalent to the world cup. But if you insist, the opening game had like 1 billion viewers, which is basically everyone whom owns a tv and aint from the bible belt.

A more apt comparison would be between the championsleague final and the superbowl, where numbers are smiliar, but can vary wildly. And that is in Europe. The Champions league has a far greater traction outside of Europe than the NFL has outside of America.
edit on 26-6-2014 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I thought the article was satire, but it seems like the person was serious....
As a German, who was raised near Dortmund (big football club, for anyone not knowing), it is just a part of me and there are legends and heroes.
If somebody scores the deciding goal at the 90 minute mark, he will get praise for it. If a keeper holds a penalty, he will be the hero for one day.
People are just getting offended by football nowadays? Really?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

In soccer, the blame is dispersed

Isn't it? Well, except for the goalies. People hate it when goalies mess up

MEDELLIN, Colombia - Gunmen yesterday killed a Colombian soccer player who accidentally scored a goal for the United States in World Cup competition 10 days ago. Andres Escobar, 27, died in a parking lot after an early-morning confrontation with fans apparently enraged by Colombia's 2-1 loss to the United States
old story here

and almost no one scores anyway.

I've seen 0-0 games. Why the teams are not allowed to play utilizing a Sudden Death rule, makes no sense to me.

There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised.

I do disagree with this to an extent. There are phenomenal players in soccer and the professional players are in peak cardiovascular condition. However the possibility of ties does sort of lend some credence to the idea that there can be no clear cut winner. Then there is the injury charade, which puts many Oscar recipients acting abilities to shame. I don not understand the self-esteem side of her comment though, as any sport/hobby can do wonders for a child's self esteem, so long as it is the child is the one wanting to play, rather than the parent living vicariously.

the far right is getting stupider and stupider!

No, both sides are

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am very anti-sports (although I watched the game today, hehe).

All I know is that this women has as much a clue about sports as she has about politics. As said, not much into soccer/sports at all but what she says is just total incorrect nonsense.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I would have said, "A growing interest in the Kardashians is a sign of moral decay".

But to each his/her own.

lolz

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
WHO CARES! I'd like to know why anyone listens to this tripe, let alone discuss it. Damn, guilty as charged.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join