It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDing a war movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Hey guys. Usually I'm pretty good with tracking down movies that I've seen long ago but there's one that still alludes me.

I can't remember all the details but it's a war movie, with Russian special forces in either Chechnya or Afghanistan. I'm damn sure the protagonist was played by Timothy Dalton (that James Bond guy). I remember two scenes: one where a bridge over a canyon is blown up while a convoy drives over it, and a scene where a helicopter flies away as the camera looks back at the spetsnaz team.

I saw part of this movie on TV maybe a decade ago, probably made around 1995-2000. I don't think it was an American made film, but it was in English.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vovin

The Beast

en.wikipedia.org...(1988_film)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

The Beast

en.wikipedia.org...(1988_film)

Nope definitely not that movie.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Did you read the Wiki? It's pretty similar and I remember those scenes in that movie as well. I just did a IMDB check on Dalton's career and it doesn't show any movie he played as a protagonist in the Soviet-Afghan war.

Maybe Dolph Lundgren?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: TDawgRex

Did you read the Wiki? It's pretty similar and I remember those scenes in that movie as well. I just did a IMDB check on Dalton's career and it doesn't show any movie he played as a protagonist in the Soviet-Afghan war.

Maybe Dolph Lundgren?

I actually did watch The Beast last year in my effort to find this mystery movie.

The movie I'm looking for probably takes place in the first Chechen war. I remember the protagonist is some kind of spy and is working with the antagonist, who is the spetsnaz commander, and then the protagonist ends up working with the rebels or something because he ends up with the love interest blonde chick.

I actually thought that it was a Bond film when I saw it, but imagine a 90s Bond film without cheesy humour and an overall darker feel to it. I say Chechnya because it was a semi-arid region with grassy plateaus (especially in the scene with the helicopter), like the Caucasus.

I also did look at Dalton's film list to no avail. It was probably an European-made movie, maybe a different actor that looks like Dalton. I'm pretty sure I watched it on CBC North (Canadian channel) that used to show foreign/independent films every night.

Btw, I was not a fan of The Beast. Though I found it ironic how Hollywood depicted the freedom fighting villagers of Afghanistan back in 1988 lol

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vovin
Btw, I was not a fan of The Beast.

Though I found it ironic how Hollywood depicted the freedom fighting villagers of Afghanistan back in 1988 lol

Well, yah.

The same people fighting the Russian invasion were freedom fighters.

Now that they're fighting the American invasion, they're "insurgents" and "terrorists"...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The 9th company.

Great movie, and a pc game too.

edit on 26-6-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

The 9th company.

Great movie, and a pc game too.

Yes I've seen that one too, but it's not the one I was looking for.

9th company is good because it's plot is the typical storyline that Russian have in regards to Afghanistan. Mikhael Evstafiev's "Two Steps to Heaven" was similar (based on his actual experiences). Too bad the only English version I found of it was incomplete.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cohen the Barbarian
War?

The description seems accurate. I'll have to watch it sometime to confirm. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Glad I could help!

new topics

top topics

join