It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ariel Sharon Sacks Coalition Allies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Just what the title says. Trouble for Sharon. Government crisis in Israel.

Mr Sharon sacked ministers from the Shinui party, which voted against the government in the defeat of the annual budget in parliament on Wednesday.

The break-up of the coalition triggers a crisis that may derail Mr Sharon's plan to pull out of the Gaza Strip.

The BBC's Barbara Plett in Jerusalem says the prime minister now heads an untenable government.

His Likud party controls only 40 of the 120 seats, and is itself deeply divided.

Click the link for the full article...
One step closer to civil war...

Related News Sources:
NRK: Regjeringskrise i Israel (In norwegian...)
Der Tagespiegel: Koalition in Israel zerbrochen (In german...)
Terra Argentina: Se rompió la coalición de gobierno de Sharon (From Argentina...)
Reuters: Israel's Sharon Fires Ministers, Shatters Coalition

[edit on 2004/12/1 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I've allways seen this sort of thing as an authentic weakness of parliamentary and multiparty systems as opposed to two party and presidential sytsems. Sharon's cabinet is made up of people from a different party which voted down the budget and now because he needs to get something done with that he's gotten rid of them, but now he might not be prime minister anymore. I'm not saying its a fatal flaw and the that presidential 'rulz' or 'rockzr' or anything like that, but this is an actual weakness. Also, look at it this way. The guy thats in charge, his party only got a small percentage of votes. Not half, not a majority, but just a plurality. Sometimes the party that puts the prime minister in place has very few votes, and no one has any sort of 'strong' position in the government.

new topics

join