It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luis Suárez suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
You all remember the Biting incident where Suarez bit an Italian player during a match right?

FIFA Ruling

well the bad boy got slapped down today.

The player Luis Suárez is to be suspended for nine (9) official matches. The first match of this suspension is to be served in the upcoming FIFA World Cup™ fixture between Colombia and Uruguay on 28 June 2014. The remaining match suspensions shall be served in Uruguay’s next FIFA World Cup match(es), as long as the team qualifies, and/or in the representative team’s subsequent official matches in accordance with art. 38 par. 2a) of the FDC.

They even went so far to ban him from any part of the stadium even as a spectator! Maybe he can disguise himself as a beer vendor?

BTW as of right now US 0 Germany 1 Kyle Beckerman (United States) just got a Yellow Card at 62'

edit on 26-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

He needed slapping down. I watched a presser he did yesterday over the biting incident.

My jaw about dropped to the ground as he said, "his body ran into my teeth, it happens all the time in this sport".

Des

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

it's apparently not the first time he's done this Des.
it's just the first time he's been caught while the entire world was watching!

I still think his punishment as a little light...

Maybe he should be thinking about building Uruguay first hockey team?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Yep...he's been suspended before for biting. This was his 3rd. time getting blatantly caught. His aloof arrogance at the presser was astounding. He didn't know what the big deal was...as he said...it happens all the time in this sport, and was being unfairly singled out.

What an asshat he is. Tarnishes the image of both the game and the players.

Des

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

What an asshat he is.

Agreed. Loved his excuse, too. "Everyone does it".

No they don't.

Biters, lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Will Pool stand by him this time or will they sell seeing he will miss the first 9 matches of the new season? .

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I only bite the ladies myself.
well only one lady nowadays but when I was single...

Yeah I got more than one red card for nibbling too!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I wish the FIFA ruling had more teeth to it!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

yeah not being able to play for 9 matches only sends one message...

if your going to bite people, don't get caught.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think they were way to lenient , it's his 3rd biting offence they should have banned him for a year and made him have a psychiatric test before he can be allowed back on to the field of play .

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Coming off a career year? I say they hold on to him.
And no way they let him go cheap and who is going to pay the big bucks for a player that will be out 9 games?
And ya waaaay to easy on him
12 games total? Wasn't his last suspension for 10 games.... So does it again and only gets 2 added games from his last offense
edit on thThu, 26 Jun 2014 13:31:19 -0500America/Chicago620141980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

edit on 26/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Check this photo out LOL.
the only link I could find is here on facebook.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
FIFA was very lenient on him , more like a slap on the wrist to Mr Multi Millionare Suarez plus the stick he would have got in England when he came back after scoring 2 goals against his host country .

Worked out nice for him ,couple of months holiday when he finishes the World Cup , and maybe a transfer to Spain

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

It's a good question and this whole affair (if you are a Liverpool fan or a fan of a rival club) is very difficult to avoid your own natural bias creeping into judging the situation. Some will say the ban is fair others that it's over the top, some that it didn't go far enough.

The feeling from Liverpool fans is that first there was the 'Evra racism' situation and many felt that the FA basically lacked any real evidence as there was some doubt about the interpretation of the meaning of what was said and a certain Mr Terry was dealt with a lot more leniently.

Then came the Ivanovic biting incident, which most sensible Liverpool fans agreed was absolute madness and the punishment was probably fair. After this incident most seem to think the man has serious psychological issues and deserves punishment but that should only apply to playing for Uruguay's national team. He was not banned from playing for Uruguay when he committed the same act at Ajax and then Liverpool. There is a point there as he was not under supervision of any of Liverpool FC's management team and they have no choice whether the player plays for his country.

There are conspiracy theories about Suarez once again wanting away as he tends to bite just as he starts talking about moving clubs. Footballers are fairly unique as they are not only employees but also have a 'value' as an asset on the club's balance sheet. This incident obviously makes Liverpool's position awkward and also devalues his transfer value should they sell Suarez. The press will criticise him if they decide not to sell their prize asset but not the club who want to buy him. There is also the rather futile issue of Uruguay issuing an appeal, one which could see an increased ban, and again which his employers and owners could suffer from but have no voice in the decisions made.

I am no lawyer so have no idea what the legal position could be in all of this.

He didn't break anyone's leg with a vicious lunge, head butt an opponent and knock him or even elbow someone in the face and break their jaw. All actions which are more violent and affect a players career more than a bite. However he committed an action which is a taboo in sport and seemingly very childish as well. Unfortunately people with immense talent are treated differently than us mere mortals and ironically he may get the move to Spain that he craves for being a bad boy. Whereas most people who bit someone in their job would be fired on the spot.

His actions cannot go unpunished and it is difficult to understand the defensive position of the Uruguay FA, players and staff playing it all down as nothing. The guy also has some serious issues that need dealing with which he seemed to have curbed last season but have obviously been bubbling under the surface.

edit on 26/6/14 by mirageman because: Removed crass comment

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just to clarify---

on top of his earlier punishment for biting a whole other player in a different game ---
Suárez is now out for the next 13 games and will not be able to play again until sometime in November.

This little slap on the wrist my seem small at first but he is in danger of losing his contract right now

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
Just to clarify---

on top of his earlier punishment for biting a whole other player in a different game ---
Suárez is now out for the next 13 games and will not be able to play again until sometime in November.

This little slap on the wrist my seem small at first but he is in danger of losing his contract right now

Believe me he is in no danger of losing his playing contract. He is worth at least £60m in transfer fees should Liverpool sell him. If they rip it up and sack him they get nothing meanwhile Suarez would be free to sign for any other club who want him. They may be entitled to withhold wages but that's about as far as it goes.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
He should have been banned for a year, probably two. And most importantly he should have been ordered to seek help for his biting habit before he can return.

This is a slap on the wrist.

new topics

top topics

join