It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The mental health system is going to break me

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 08:35 AM

originally posted by: calstorm
I used to be very passionate about what is going on in our mental health system. I was a psychiatric nurse at a locked facility. I saw how broken the system was, but at that time I was young and thought I could change the world. A few years after I started working there, the budget was cut and the facility had to shut down, putting about 30 people who were unable to take care of themselves out on the street. Most ended up in jail. These were the ones we could place elsewhere due to lack of insurance and had no family to care for them.

Fast forward 15 years or so, I am having problems myself. On top of grieving the loss of my children, I have been diagnosed with PTSD. It is a challenge getting the help I need. I cycle between panic attacks and overwhelming grief. When I fist started seeking help they kept trying to put me on SSRI's. I can't do those they make my head feel like I have bombs going off inside of it. It is terrifying. So because of that, I was very resistant to any medication. I was given ativan for anxiety, but that made me too loopy to take care of important things. Finally one Dr. after fighting her on everything prescribed Hydroxizine for anxiety and Prazosin for nightmares and figured out it was PTSD, not depression that everyone else kept trying to label it as. I gave in to those two despite hating pharmaceuticals, and I am glad I did. Those work for some of what I am dealing with.

What I can't get help for is complicated grief. Self diagnosed via the internet, but everyone else seems clueless. Many days I go through all the cycles of grief except acceptance in one day, only to repeat it the next. Over the last few month I feel like my pain over my kids is getting worse instead of better. I thing that is due to feeling guilty, like I would be a bad mother if I let them go so I hang on the pain. I know I need help with that, but all anyone wants to do is is prescribe more pills. Once a week therapy telling me to get out and do stuff, doesn't cut it.

I am choosing not to turn this response into my continued assault on the MH system...Instead I would like to ask you, a person who has been through much, to tell me what would help

I do agree that therapists often give out the "distract yourself" advice alot. If you had a perfect therapist OR rather the perfect treatment plan in mind, what would that look like to you if money was no object?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
a reply to: KyoZero

My god Kyo, still gotta read your thread more thoroughly, but this part gave me the chills.

7 minutes. My psychiatrist gave me 7 minutes of her time and placed me on Lithium…lithium…I am not telling you this story from the 60’s where lithium was the wonder drug. I am telling you this from the 90’s when other options existed. I was always told in graduate school that in the court of bipolar disorder, Depakote is like a bb gun and lithium is like a howitzer. But even if we look beyond that (which btw I am happily on Depakote and it is working for me) I come right back to the 7 minutes. I was seen for seven minutes, diagnosed instantly and prescribed a regimen for drug therapy. No looking into what caused my bipolar (chemical, social, abuse whatever). Now I realize a psychiatrist these days don’t often do therapy and that’s fine…but no attempt whatsoever was made. It was literally, take this lithium at so-and-so intervals and see me in a month for a blood test.

I went through the exact thing a few years ago. 7 minutes, diagnoses, lithium, monthly blood tests pending.......(thank god I only took it for a day)

I posted about it on my anxiety thread seen here:

It is crazy easy! In my experience it was way too easy to get antidepressants that I consider extremely dangerous and poisonous. One guy in California gave me Lithium Carbonate. It only took five minutes for him to diagnose and prescribe. That stuff is gnarly! Apparently, when on it you require weekly blood tests to ensure your have the correct level of the drug in your system. If you have just a little bit too much it can be lethal. Thank God I was smart enough to flush that stuff down the toilet the next morning... I did find it really hard to get Benzos though (xanax, ativan, klonopin, ect...) Which I think can be helpful as a safety net for emergency use if you're really suffering from panic and you need to get your heart rate and blood pressure down. But, those drugs offer their own special kind of danger. I've experienced black outs and would become totally disconnected from everyone and everything.
(and I've already been yelled at for flushing them down the toilet, but clearly I wasn't in my right mind at the time)

Scary times, I've been through the gauntlet of meds and boy was it an unpleasant expierience.

I have some intimate xp with the material of this thread and I can't wait to read the rest.

S&F anyway.
edit on 28-6-2014 by GoShredAK because: Link

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:46 AM
You know, I have been a member on this forum for a long time and I never post anymore but I feel that I have to respond to your thread. I myself have been diagnosed with Bi Polar disorder and Anxiety also. I have been trying to get treatment or advice on how to handle the problems for over 15 years now and as you have stated in your OP I feel like they didn't try to get to know me and how my brain operates or to get to the root of the problem. After years or seeing different counselors, psychiatrists, psychologist and given a limited amount of time to try to explain my life and the problems I face daily they just diagnose me as being Bi Polar with Anxiety and pills at me. After all this time and being given countless prescriptions that make me worse or have horrible side effects I have decided that I'm done dealing with that "system". I started doing research on line of different ways of dealing with my problems and riding out the worst of it. I rapid cycle several times a day and I'm fortunate enough that I don't get too depressed or manic at one time that I am able to deal with it and I am lucky to have a great husband that supports me. My point is, is that these people are there to help me figure out a way to deal with my issues and that's the last thing they do. I'm not saying that they don't want to help me I just feel like they want to throw prescriptions at me and send me on my merry way. I am doing ok on my own now because I am able to figure out my triggers but it took me 20 years to know how to deal with them. I don't want all those pills in me anyway, they never helped. My advice for you is never give up because you DO help people and you have a heart for it and you know exactly how they feel and that gives you an advantage for your profession. Even though you are getting burnt on the situation there are genuine people out there that count on a good person like you to help. Thanks for caring and good luck with the "system"

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:18 PM
I am replying to both Arduous and GoShredAK because I don't recall if there is multi-reply

Arduous - Like I told mblah...I wish your story shocked me. I really do. It's like when you first heard some negligence story with a doctor and was appalled by it. You were numb with disbelief. And yet now it's so commonplace that it doesn't phase me because I live it each day in my personal life and at work. Which bear in mind isn't to say I don't feel for you...I am just saying I am super used to it

I am so happy to hear you have an active support system. Like I said, educating family is probably just as important as educating the person

Good luck and feel free to U2U me anytime

IN FACT...anyone who ever wants to U2U me...I am more than happy to talk. Not that you would ask, but bear in mind that my legal capabilities of offering therapy online are non-existent until I am clinical but I would be happy to help or just listen

GOShredAK - stories like yours need to be heard. In the past several months I have been making strong consideration towards writing a book. It would be 10% as a professional and 90% offering pages for friends, family and clients to tell their story. I don't want a medal, I don't want to be on Oprah's book club, I just want people to know what we go through and see and feel.

I believe it would offer a way to spread the news and give voice to those who feel too frightened to speak out against the system. I have seen and so has ATS that when one voice finally breaks silence it becomes much easier for other voices to finally speak out as well

thanks for your response
edit on 28-6-2014 by KyoZero because: lol...I put 10% AND 99%...awesome

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
Do it!

Call it, "The 7 minute therapist: A Look into our Broken Health Care Profession"

NYT best seller top 10

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:19 PM

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Do it!

Call it, "The 7 minute therapist: A Look into our Broken Health Care Profession"

NYT best seller top 10

only if I can get enough people with honest stories

I'd rather it be their book, not just mine

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:54 PM

I would be more than happy to contribute to your book if I can remain anonymous. There is so much more than I put here last night.

As far as therapy goes. I would like to be taught practical methods of coping. I would like to be given knowledge and information about why I am going through what I am. I do a lot of research on line and understanding what is going on in the brain and so forth helps a lot. The problem with getting it from the internet instead of a therapist is that you don't know if you are just reading symptoms into it or if that is accurately what is going on. I would like a list of things that I can do when it is 3 in the morning and having a hard time coping. I can't really go for a run at that time, too dangerous and would have to deal with suspicious cops. Not something I want to do with tears streaming down my face. So a list of tips and tricks I could do in my home. Sometimes I just need to vent instead feeling like I have to defend my self for not going out. I am often afraid lately of just breaking down and crying in public. More than anything though I think I just want someone to tell me they understand and get what I am saying.
I am told don't cut or we'll put you in the hospital. Well the compulsion is so strong that it takes all my strength not to. The fear of being confined is a good deterrent, but it doesn't give me any alternatives. Ideas of what to do at 3 in the morning when I can't call anyone, or go out for a run. I need ideas for channeling the adrenaline and distracting from the emotional pain is a healthy manner that is logical possibility. I have downstairs neighbors, doing jumping jacks at 3 in the morning is not logical.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:08 PM
My question is more one of the wisdom of using SSRIs to stop emotional pain ,then trying to exist in our culture when one has an emotional crash.It happens I HAD one. Why would any RATIONALLY thinking individual allow those who suffer from war take a pill that WE KNOW can cause these melt downs?
All to fit "IN" apparently ,yuk.

Guess we need MORE ears and less chems to hide behind. From what I 've seen ,sharing others tears can be GRATING.
Good luck WE need it and you.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:20 PM
a reply to: jrflipjr
FOR GODS SAKE MAN MOVE TO COLORADO ! We have a new anti depressant that won't make you murder...just hungry>

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:54 PM
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I thank you kindly for your reply. PTSD and my time at the clinic on my base is precisely what started me on this journey. Like I have said...there are some people who truly need medications. I don't run around yelling that psychiatry is a sham because there is 'sometimes' some legitimacy to it. It is on the other hand MASSIVELY oversold and it has to stop

There are incredible advances for PTSD especially caused by war

REM, systematic desensitization (which is where the brunt of my GAD, ASD, and PTSD training lies), hypnosis, light boxes, controlled cathartic experiences and then there is the new force, virtual reality

VR is amazing in war-induced PTSD and ASD. You do therapy then slowly advocate for the client to enter into controlled simulations. Peaceful at first then with an increasing level of 'danger' when all the time that soldier or veteran is in a relaxed state. When pulses raise we have pre-prepared exercises to calm the anxiety...then press on slowly

doesn't that sound just a touch better than Ativan and Zoloft and a kind "see you in two months?"

I'll admit straight out...I do not have PTSD. I studied and and am making PTSD and anxiety my specialty but I gotta say, that sounds a darn sight better to me

But then again...why not let the soldier or client or veteran HAVE that choice? See this is the part that really pisses me off and admittedly my pulse is raised now

Because of insurance and so-called practitioners and drug reps, not only does the system treat clients as a disease, the system does their best to take choices away and offer up only those that...

A. never truly solve the problem

B. are most profit effective

what's more effective to the pocketbook than Prozac, Zoloft and Wellbutrin?

Then on top of it, clients often have to take a SECOND medication to control or cure what is caused by the first medication

and you know what? Sorry for my ego slip but it's time to start working on my second thread that I have been contemplating since I started this one

I will still respond here to anyone who posts and please folks if anyone disagrees tell me. I am proud and pleased to hear ideas outside of my own. This thread isn't for me...well ok part of it was to vent but this thread is for EVERYONE

and you all have collaborated so well...

thank you dearly...I mean that

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:22 PM
Mental health system? What mental health system? My experience with this pile of crap they call a mental health system tells me it is nothing but pure rubbish designed to enrich a few people and subjugate a few others. I went, in 2 years time, from a diagnosis of OCD to Bipolar NOS To anxiety NOS. prozac, zoloft, viseril, ativan, xanax, lithium, haldol, ambien were some of the crap they put me on. Actual therapy was sparse. If it wasn't for my gf reading about Borderline personality disorder I may never have gotten very far away from the crap. But in less than a years time I am coping, managing, and thriving without their poisons. Just therapy and hard work. The thing is, the agencies in 2 different states failed me, and I have a feeling that it is far more widespread

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:03 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm almost positive I'm bipolar. My mood, literally, can change without reason every few hours, sometimes (rarely) every few minutes, sometimes every few days.

I don't know anyone in your profession well enough to trust to dedicate myself to therapy, so I deal with it the best I can. I've been thinking more and more about going ahead and talking to somebody because I now have a daughter, and I realize that it must be exhausting for my wife to deal with someone like me. God bless her.

Any suggestions?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with honesty.

The seven minutes really stuck out. I don't see how you can possibly assess somebody with 15 minutes.

I am currently weaning off Effexor. This is my decision. I saw a doctor this week to discuss and get some prescriptions. The schedule I will use will take months. I want to do this very slowly so I don't suffer withdrawals. I've been on it about a year. It was one that didn't give any side effects. So yes it worked but I feel I must clear my head now as I embark on my new life after a divorce. So it more or less hot me through this.

I've taken Paxil. That was a disaster . My GP prescribed it. I said I don't like the idea of SSRI 's and he corrected me it was SRI and said don't believe everything you read on the Internet.well I read it in a book years ago actually. On this Paxil I not only had horrible side effects but attempted suicide several times. I had psychotic thoughts. So I'm sure you know once you are caught harming yourself it's illegal in some places. I was arrested, under the health care act. Thrown into a psych ward. Treated like an animal IMO. Not given any counselling whatsoever. I felt worse. A nurse who was very nice felt sorry for me and said to go home I need to say I did it for attention. I said that to the psychiatrist and was allowed to go home. It was a lie, she fell for it. After this I weaned myself off Paxil. Had withdrawals, which is why I will do it properly this time.

I have never been diagnosed with any mental illness. I will only go back on Effexor if it turns out I do need it.

On to Ativan, lorazepam, etc.
yes it's addictive. You shouldn't take for more than 4 days in a row or they lose their effectiveness. Then you need more. I take them occasionally for anxiety or as a sleeping aid. I'm not addicted. I sometimes go months not taking them. Usually I take about one pill a month because I only need halves. So it might be two sleepless nights I take a half. They aren't intended to use as a daily pill. It says on the bottle " as needed". I realize though people are using them as daily pills.

edit on 28-6-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:40 PM
a reply to: oldetimehockey4

again I cannot multi-reply unless I am missing the button in some obvious place

oldetimehockey4 - Bipolar disorder comes in basically three flavors if you will. A quick break down and then some suggestions

But first a little bit of info on the episodes of mood disorders

There are basially five episodes to consider in the mood spectrum

Major Depressive - This is a depressed mood that is usually quite crushing and difficult to arise from. It's marked by low libido, lack of interest in usual likes and hobbies, sadness, gloom, and all of the typical responses you would expect from depression. The key here is that major depressive episodes are typically severe

Depressive episodes - This is sort of a category that doesn't quite have a true name but in the DSM it will usually say depressive symptoms. It;s marked by many of the same criteria as a major depressive episode, however the symptoms are less severe.

hypomanic episode - this is an episode often marked by mild to moderate intense feelings of happiness. In this episode, you'll often feel lively, energetic and often able to focus intensely on your doings. People in hypomanic episodes are usually quite bright, creative and can handle many tasks

manic episode - This is the invincibility...the euphoria...the unquenchable. Manic episodes are marked by intense euphoria and often lead to grossly challenging and sometimes dangerous behavior. People in mania can range from hypersexual to addictive, to angry and irritable. People in manic episodes have a severe increase in goal-oriented behavior such as eating, sex and buying

Mixed episode - easily the most dangerous and least understood. A mixed episode is elusive and marked by moderate to severe depressin AND manic lack of inhibition. It is believed that many who commit or attempt suicide are often in a mixed episode because they are intensely depressed but have the drive and lack of inhibition that comes with mania

Those are the episodes, now onto what the DSM criteria is for the three manic-involved disorders

Cyclothymia - This is the so-called 'lightest form' of the bipolar spectrum. It is marked by sweeping changes but the key difference is that cyclothymia only involves mild to moderate depression and hypomania

Bipolar II disorder - This is the presence of at least one major depressive episode and at least one hypomanic episode

Bipolar I disorder - This is the presence of at least one major depressive episode and at least one fully manic episode or mixed episode. This is the most severe of the three

Mania and depression are hard to deal with and can be equally difficult for the family. I recommend education for both you and your family. As simple as it sounds, a feeling journal is darn helpful to help you to see if patterns emerge. If you think you are bipolar, I do recommend at least talking to a therapist. Early discovery and recognition of symptoms can do wonders. Furthermore, talk therapy can be divinely helpful to bipolar clients. Learning to see when you are depressed or when you are manic aids in the process of softening to 'blow' so to speak when these episodes hit

Also, health changes such as diet and exercise can do wonders ESPECIALLY in depressed and mixed episodes. Deep belly breathing and progressive muscle relaxation can ease manic symptoms.

then yes...if you truly need to try medication, take it SUPER slow and make sure you are in charge in that office. And remember that I am not a medical doctor...but that Lithium should not be the first move

good luck...U2U me if you would like

violet - sorry it took me a bit to get to you

I am just going to say it...doctors (not all of them) have a god complex at times. And believe it or not in some ways they HAVE to be that way. I admire doctors to a point. It take a steel heart and a trap mind some days to have dozens of patients come to you at their worst and ask you to cut them open (physically, emotionally..whatever you get the point)

So yes they have to be in control of their emotions...but then the problem comes

We've placed SO much respect in the MD title that some MD's come to think they are infallible. Problems start here. The internet, while sometimes biased, is a massive wealth of information. It is the culmination of all knowledge at our fingertips. I am not saying you can go to Wikipedia and learn and remember what it takes to be a surgeon...not one bit. I have respect for the memory that doctors have. What I am saying is that you can learn a TON about your medications, alternatives, side effects, and other people's stories about your mode of treatment. You can also find natural methods to help ease symptoms. You can find support groups. It's endless

I am on a bipolar forum and I love them.

The point is you don't have to just take the MD's word for it because this is a fact. Just as the internet can be biased, so can MD's...hell so can I.

I'd be lying is I didn't say many people need talk therapy but yeah I am biased. And you can sure bet that I can do just as much damage by being negligent as an MD can. The point is to get you and ATS and the world active and informed. Know yourself, know your treatment, know your journey

At the end of the day one thing is 100% true and I mean this

There is no better therapist, doctor or psychiatrist than the client

YOU feel the effects of medicine. YOU go home with my homework assignments and determine if they work. YOU know your body and mind...period

be a doctor for yourself

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:47 PM
a reply to: khnum

Well I haven't had a problem with Risperdal as it's only for males.

I'm assuming you're going by Australian stats, as that's where you are from?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:52 PM

Have you ever heard of someone rapid cycling that was bipolar from being prescribed antidepressants because they were misdiagnosed with depression?

If you have heard of it is that common?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:54 PM
a reply to: enlighten_me

I happen to be in a similar situation. I'm in my 20's, live with my dad and having no luck in finding work. I know exactly how you feel about your mind not being able to focus and how everyone treats me like a parasite.

Have you tried applying for SSI or looking into Vocational Rehabilitation in your state? It may be a slow process, but it's better than nothing.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:19 PM

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Have you ever heard of someone rapid cycling that was bipolar from being prescribed antidepressants because they were misdiagnosed with depression?

If you have heard of it is that common?

oh sweet goodness yes

Taking an antidepressant when you have mania often markedly increases mania to extremes

Misdiagnosis of bipolar is common. Often it can happen because people who are bipolar only treat treatment when they are depressed and not manic but it can be negligent as well

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:44 PM

I was diagnosed with depression several times throughout my life given the pills and each time quit them once I felt better or they started making me feel off. It wasn't till I was 35 that I was diagnosed as BP it was after heading doctors orders to stay on the antidepressant from a misdiagnosis of depression and literally lost my mind for a while. That episode ruined some good relationships. I stayed away from the meds and medical pros for a while thinking they were out to kill me.

When I finally gave in and sought advice from a different psychiatrist after 10 minutes he diagnosed me as BP I think it had a lot to do with me explaining that when I was on the antidepressants that I felt like Dr Jeykle and Mr Hyde it was like being two even three different people and I was still figuring which one I really was after the last ordeal. That stuff screwed me up bad and the doc who prescribed it wouldn't listen when I told him I felt worse he would just double the script each time I saw him till I had a meltdown.

It is a good thing I didn't take the stuff when I was in the military because I was EOD the thought scares me of what may have happened. I would meditate a lot when I served because my first peacetime tour was to Korea where I studied Hapkido I think that helped me deal with the mood swings in my own way then.

But rapid cycling damn near killed me the switches in moods would happen suddenly to the extreme ends 7-8 times a day. At the time I had no idea what was going on. When I was diagnosed with BP I was relieved because it finally made sense. 500mg of Depakote a day and I am as even as Florida terrain though keeping off weight is hard. I do sometimes miss the feelings of invincibility but experiencing the opposite just isn't worth it.
edit on 28-6-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:47 PM

In your honest opinion, do you think society as a whole is mentally decaying? Are you seeing an increase in people "needing help" to facilitate other factors in their life that cause them to be mentally deficient (no job, bad parents, bad friends, social media, etc...) ? Rather then legitimate illness... Or would you say there might actually be an increase in mental illness?

I'm hearing more and more children being born autistic and I'm surrounded by "adults" that frankly shouldn't have children.
edit on 28-6-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>