It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Map Of Native American Tribes You've Never Seen Before

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
I didn't see the Birsimis, Algonquin or Mohawk represented on that map. WIll look some more though. It was quite the undertaking on his part and is quite interesting. I hope he will revise and upgrade it to reflect any additional info he receives. Thanks, OP. Nice find.

The Mohawk are on there, I grew up near Caughnewaga so they were the first ones I looked for on the map. If you look at NY State, almost all tribes listed are from the Iroquois Confederation. Likewise in New England, they are likewise under the Algonquin banner. while they didn't list anyone specifically as "Algonquin" it's because it's more of an all encompassing language group than an identifiable tribe. While not really familiar with the Bersimis, if I remember correctly, they are from an Algonquin group in Canada so I can't say for sure if they are represented on the map.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Having looked into it a bit I found that the area I am at there are 3 tribes .Mi'kmaq en.wikipedia.org...'kmaq#First_Nation_subdivisions
Maliseet en.wikipedia.org... and Passamaquoddy en.wikipedia.org... All three are of the Algonquin en.wikipedia.org... The boundary's were usually determined by the rivers on the borders .It was understood that they needed permission to hunt on the other side of the rivers .There is a book by a Gagnon who canoed all over the province and made notes of the places .He was the founder of the Gagnon Chocolates in St. Stephen NB .The Saint John River was shared up to the Nashwack River and the Mi'kmaq took the north east sides . a reply to: Taupin Desciple

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Fascinating link...I'll read it thoroughly when I get more time. Sometimes, I think my career(s) should have been an anthropologist and/or archaeologist.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Very interesting map, but as has been mentioned, it will have to be a lot bigger to let us see those smaller fonts.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I found it interesting that the Micmaq are referred to as L'Nuk. two or more of them would be L'Nuks. On PEI, one of the places they live is called Lennox Island.

edit on 26-6-2014 by aboutface because: stubborn keyboard!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer
Very interesting share 1 enjoys

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ramcheck
Very interesting map, but as has been mentioned, it will have to be a lot bigger to let us see those smaller fonts.

Go to this link (.pdf) and use the enlargement tool ...

www.npr.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hiraaca? I thought I lived in Sioux Nation!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
I didn't see the Birsimis, Algonquin or Mohawk represented on that map.
Mohawk are there, as mentioned. I don't know the Birsimis, but Algonquin are there north of Lake Huron under various names. It was only after about 1700 that they really came a lot farther south. Cool map, though. (but he spelled Iroquois wrong...kinda ironic, cuz it is derived from French)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Lnu (the adjectival and singular noun, previously spelled "L'nu"; the plural is Lnúk, Lnu’k, Lnu’g, or Lnùg) is the term the Mi'kmaq use for themselves, their autonym, meaning "human being" or "the people".[16] a reply to: aboutface

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Ha! Thank you for that info. I don't pretend to know a lot. A former roommate of mine is a native girl with whom I've remained friends over the years and I've always hated the way her people were treated. (But the tides began to turn today. Can you feel it? There'll be bonfires on the beaches tonight is my guess.)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yes ,there should be much celebrations going on over the next while. I think this is the break in the impasse that was needed for other groups to make their claims without having to jump through all of the hoops and waste money on lawyers .Add to this info the revelations of the issue withing the RCMP and their over aggression and the squeaky wheels will get some serious attention . a reply to: aboutface

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Cool post.
Weird I have been compiling maps to create my own.

The funny thing there are so many "unnamed tribes" that exist. I was reading a very, ultra, informative book called "circular thought" by Chief Winterhawk. It goes into detail about some of the traditions of American Indians, Native Americans, and the Indigenous peoples of the American soil. He also connects alot of cultural dots between the the African Continent and the the Americas.
I seperated the 3 because they are all different.......I know.....

1 Example
He speaks about ruins, bodies, and artifacts being found under a long road(god I hate when that happens its right there)around the L.A. basin. No one claimed them, no one stopped the building and they were of an unidentified origin he purports.
I just imagine how much we lost due to the ignorance.......We barely know what these people call themselves.
edit on 26-6-2014 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
For tribes you have tribal names

You also have tribes, bands, family and clan names.

The US government never could understand this.

They might make a treaty with a band of the tribe and think it covered the whole tribe.
They did this with the Sioux.
www.snowwowl.com...

Its like making a treaty with Calif and trying to enforce it on Nevada

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
seems like the native indians may have been a scattered jewish tribe originally…

I think it was Esau who was said to be born w red skin and loved to hunt and be outdoors…

the indians also have a tradition of tassels similar to jews and the word for God is "Yah"

then you have the Michigan slate stones: 30,000 of them found depicting events in the Old Testament:

Slideshow of Michigan Tablets
youtu.be...

seems like they could have sailed here… there was just a man and woman who followed the currents and ROWED here from Europe in a small boat…

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

The "Michigan Slate Tablets" are a Mormon hoax, made between 1850 and 1920. They had an ulterior motive for "proving" that N. Americans were some "lost tribe of Israel."

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Thanks for your post, probably a seldom realized facet of N. Americans relationship to the US Govt. Looking over the site you linked to as well, always welcoming a chance to learn more of our history.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

.....and the Indian tribes often erred in not realizing that the Americans were one political body BUT the governments control over an individual's actions were very limited while a clan chief had a great deal of control over his people (in some tribes)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

That depends on what you define as thriving. Many of these tribes were the unwashed barbarians to the pre-columbian societies that dotted north America. If we were to rewind time a few more centuries, you may have viewed these tribes quite negatively.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gorman91

That depends on what you define as thriving. Many of these tribes were the unwashed barbarians to the pre-columbian societies that dotted north America. If we were to rewind time a few more centuries, you may have viewed these tribes quite negatively.
You know you need to be a mite more specific if you're expecting to be taken seriously, eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join