It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sickening Greed of Footballers Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This sickens me.
Every one of the team are millionaires, if not multi millionaires.
They are representing their country on the biggest stage in the world.
Yet they dont care about the honour and prestige of playing in the World Cup.
They only care about the money

From the BBC sport website,

Ghana's government has sent more than $3m (£1.8m) in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national team at the World Cup. Deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yamin told Ghanaian radio station Citi FM the players "insisted" on cash payments. He added: "The government had to mobilise the money and a chartered flight to Brazil." Ghana must beat Portugal in their final Group G game on Thursday to have any chance of staying at the World Cup. And even a win would not be enough to put Ghana through to the knockout phase if United States and Germany were to draw their match. Earlier this week, there were rumours the Black Stars could boycott training ahead of the game if their demand for payment was not met. As unrest grew in the Ghana camp, Ghana President John Dramani Mahama personally assured the players they would receive their money. A statement from the Ghana Football Association said: "The government is pre-financing the payment of the Black Stars appearance fees, which will be reimbursed when Fifa's prize money for Ghana's participation in the World Cup is paid."

Note that they could boycott training for the final match against Portugal if their cash payments were'nt paid...
It is £1.8m between the whole team, which equates to about £85,000 each.
Sickening if you ask me, effectivly holding your country to ransom.
85k wouldnt be more than a months wages for some of the players.
If they did boycott training for the match they wouldnt be as sharp as they should be, and a bit off the pace as well for a match that they have got to win.
So much for the honour of representing your country
Bunch of mercanaries is all they are....

P.S. i understand they should get paid but this is the World Cup for chrisssake
They should play for free if it came to it...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
What pisses me off is how people show more passion, dedication, and financial consideration for sports than they do for the people who are starving and disease-ridden in their own country. I guess it's just not as fun watching someone waste away from cancer because they can't afford treatment. But as long as you're a sports icon, here, let us give you free drugs because people suddenly care about you and that means we can make more money in the name of AIDS research and treatment! Oh, that guy over there? Who cares? He could die tomorrow and no one would bat an eye.

Double standards and hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

The thing is.. the business of sports generates a TON of revenue. That revenue has to go somewhere and in our current stage of humanity, its par for the course that it goes to those who already have plenty of money.

Of course, all that money could be used locally for a variety of infrastructure repairs, but for some reason plenty of people see it as a better option that it goes to individuals.

Sadly, its not like the government who would be received that money would be any less corrupt..

Rock and a hard place, I guess. Even if both of them were manufactured by ourselves.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Why would a highly paid athlete risk injury playing for free? National pride?
That why the NFL pro bowl is played like a powder puff game.

top topics

join