It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court removes buffer zones from abortion clinic protestors

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: beezzer

As for what Joe believes or doesn't believe?

It's none of my damned business.

Agreed. My entire point has been that we all need to say more often "it's none of my business".

When does "it's none of my business" interfere with, "I want to express an opinion"?

We do this daily on ATS.

You have an opinion.

Should I just say, "Shut up! It's none of your damned business"?

The 1st Amendment protects us from government saying, "Shut up. It's none of your damned business!"

The 1st Amendment also protects us from other people saying, "Shut up! It's none of your damned business!"

Freedom. It carries a responsibility that very few recognize.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
The 1st Amendment also protects us from other people saying, "Shut up! It's none of your damned business!"

It does not. Other people have the freedom to tell someone it's none of their business. The first amendment protects us from the government.

BS. You can't advocate for the government imposing decisions on a woman about her medical condition and then spout some nonsense about freedom. Your hypocrisy shows.
edit on 6/28/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Silly rabbit.

Shame on you beezzer, don't you know that freedom of speech is only okay when it fits their agenda.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

BS. You can't advocate for the government imposing decisions on a woman about her medical condition and then spout some nonsense about freedom. Your hypocrisy shows.

BS back atcha.

I find no hypocrisy because I think that an unborn child deserves the same rights as one that is 1 minute post-partum.

But this isn't about abortion.

This is about people getting upset because people are allowed to freely assemble for something YOU disagree with.

Talk about hypocrisy!

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

This is about people getting upset because people are allowed to freely assemble for something YOU disagree with.

All due respect Beez, because you know I love me some bunny, but you have completely missed the point.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I think that an unborn child deserves the same rights as one that is 1 minute post-partum.

Then don't have an abortion. I get that you think abortion is murder, etc. But what about someone who thinks differently than you? They're just wrong and should live by what YOU think? Should everyone live accordingly to what YOU think about life?

I'm not upset about people protesting (although being upset about it is a perfectly fine expression and a freedom of ours, right?). I support protesting, in fact. That's the third time in this discussion that you've incorrectly attributed words or thoughts to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

All due respect Beez, because you know I love me some bunny, but you have completely missed the point.

Not really.

I'm actually trying to stay on topic.

The Supreme Court ruled that "buffer zones" are anti-constitutional.

I think that it was a good ruling.

I hope that this will carry over to all aspects of buffer zones and free speech zones.

the fact that this particular case concerned vocal opponents of an abortion clinic is secondary, in my humble opinion.

But pro-abortion folks are making this just about abortion instead of focusing on the free assembly aspect.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Then don't have an abortion. I get that you think abortion is murder, etc. But what about someone who thinks differently than you? They're just wrong and should live by what YOU think? Should everyone live accordingly to what YOU think about life?

Apparently you have no problem making me live by how YOU think.

I'm not upset about people protesting (although being upset about it is a perfectly fine expression and a freedom of ours, right?). I support protesting, in fact. That's the third time in this discussion that you've incorrectly attributed words or thoughts to me.

Then stay on topic. So you don't have a problem with the Supreme Court ruling?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

This is where the abortion issue gets a little of the fuzzy side (not that this thread is about abortion in the least, its about freedom of assembly and speech).

Some people say that pregnancy is a 'medical condition of a woman.'
Fine and well, however others will find this determination offensive to the life of the unborn fetus, and feel that abortion is a medical procedure that is equivalent to murder.

This is not about hypocrisy, and shame on anyone who tries to devolve a topic about freedom of assembly and speech by inserting an argument about abortion. There are plenty of threads about abortion here, we all know this, we've been here awhile. It is just however such an emotional and hot button topic for some people that it takes over. Even for myself, I am having a hard time not spouting my views on it here, and I am thankful that if I choose to, I can...

because of my freedom to express my thoughts and feelings, which is what the Supreme Court ruled on in the case at the heart of this thread...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The Supreme Court ruled that "buffer zones" are anti-constitutional.

They most certainly did not!

The court ruled that a 35 foot buffer zone for clinics was "burdensome". The Court redrew the buffer zone to an 8 foot radius. There is still a buffer zone. Additionally, the Court does NOT extend that courtesy to protesters of SCOTUS, polling places or service men and women's funerals.

In other words, SCOTUS upheld buffer zones, but merely reduced the size of the buffer zone for those people protesting abortion.

edit on 28-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Thank you for the clarification.

Perhaps they reduced it to keep the people entering the clinic safe.

As for the other rulings?

I'm no constitutional lawyer, but it was my understanding that the Supreme Court can only rule on the cases that are brought before it.

It is up to the lower courts to look at other buffer zones or free speech zones.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Dunno.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm no constitutional lawyer, but it was my understanding that the Supreme Court can only rule on the cases that are brought before it.

Yeah, well there's this thing called "precedent". Otherwise, I'm not sure how far reaching this ruling can be. For now, it seems that it just affects abortions activists and their targets.

I wanted to add this pic, just for reference......

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
My feeling is you should be able to practice free speech in any public place if you are not barring people from entering or exiting. This includes speech that I don't agree with or even despise. Such is necessary to protect the integrity and spirit of the first Amendment.

If you can't be bothered with 45 seconds of accosting on your way into the clinic how are you prepared to handle the mental stress of actually having the abortion and coping post abortion. It's a big and scary world out there, people need to toughen up and understand that freedom comes at a cost and sometimes that cost is your personal comfort.

good...then you won't mind if protesters gather around and yell out swear words, and call people ugly names, hold up signs right in front of their faces, while standing right next to people going into Christian churches, republican meetings, NRA meetings, etc....

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

My feeling is you should be able to practice free speech in any public place if you are not barring people from entering or exiting. This includes speech that I don't agree with or even despise. Such is necessary to protect the integrity and spirit of the first Amendment.

If you can't be bothered with 45 seconds of accosting on your way into the clinic how are you prepared to handle the mental stress of actually having the abortion and coping post abortion. It's a big and scary world out there, people need to toughen up and understand that freedom comes at a cost and sometimes that cost is your personal comfort.

good...then you won't mind if protesters gather around and yell out swear words, and call people ugly names, hold up signs right in front of their faces, while standing right next to people going into Christian churches, republican meetings, NRA meetings, etc....

You bring up a good point.

Now we can assume that the NBP (New Black Panthers) can hang out and congregate at polling places during elections.
edit on 28-6-2014 by beezzer because: o

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

If people choose to exercise that freedom then let them as long as people keep their hand to themselves.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here's a video shot during a fundraising event for a clinic that preforms late term abortions. There's pro-choice group out front of the clinic, promoting the fundraiser with signs, much like a church car wash. Then comes this anti-choice women getting up their faces with a bullhorn.

Freedom of speech? I call that assault.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Survivors of the abortion holocaust?

Please.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I now have no respect for SCOTUS whatsoever....protect themselves, protect voter polling places, protect wall street, protect all seats of power with buffer zones...but...abortion clinics?.....can't do that, what part of logical jurisprudence can this possibly be. even grave sites holding funerals have a buffer zone. and to top it all off, these groups of anti-abortionists have killed 8 doctors, set fire to hundreds of clinics, bombings, assaults in the thousands....what part of domestic terrorism does the supreme court NOT understand...to me these anti-abortionists are the new American al-queada, driven by religious insanity, harming people and destroying property...all sanctioned by our highest court....and most of you here are just fine with that....

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

But yet we have no problem killing life that have no voice or choices.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

If people choose to exercise that freedom then let them as long as people keep their hand to themselves.

they haven't, that's the problem, like I've said above they've killed doctors, thousands of assaults, firebombed buildings...the whole problem is they DO NOT KEEP THEIR HANDS TO THEMSELVES!!....if one of my family has to ever go into a clinic that is being surrounded like that, I'm paying armed guards to keep the bats**t nuts from harming them

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join