It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama mocks climate skeptics at LCV dinner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

He said Republicans in Congress are out of touch with the American public, who “don’t just say, ‘No, I don’t believe anything scientists say.’ Except — where? — in Congress. Folks will tell you climate change is a hoax or a fad or a plot — a liberal plot.”
Obama also took aim at Republicans for pleading ignorance on climate by saying they aren’t scientists.

Read more: www.politico.com...

This kind of exemplifies my feelings on this whole subject. The folks who are pushing AGW are so damn smug and arrogant that even if everyone did buy into their theories, acting like twats will push many fence sitters away. Maybe it's just this administration, or maybe it's the whole party, I don't know. But somehow, the cause of any warming is now a political issue and has little to do with science.

Time will tell the big picture, and no matter how smart you think you are, the outcome will determine the truth. We are all just speculating at this point.

I just know that this approach is not productive and it shows very, very little class.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Burning oil has no adverse effects on the environment and smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Anyone who denies climate change is a result of our activity deserves mockery and utter contempt. They are ignorant fools...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: lemmin

Burning oil has no adverse effects on the environment and smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

And this is exactly what we are talking about: sarcasm, insults, ridiculing, belittling........ all those have no place.

All those things do is drive people away.

Some one offers me data to look at, proper scientific reading and civilized conversations, I'm all ears. I may or may not agree, but I sure will listen to them.

People that act like jerks though?

Nope. Sorry. Don't really want to hear what you have to say if you have to resort to that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
And this is exactly what we are talking about: sarcasm, insults, ridiculing, belittling........ all those have no place.

Some one offers me data to look at, proper scientific reading and civilized conversations, I'm all ears. I may or may not agree, but I sure will listen to them.

Nope. Sorry. Don't really want to hear what you have to say if you have to resort to that.

Being civil with people who flat-out ignore your reason and logic, then change attacks in order to uphold their beliefs - repeatedly and forever - gets old quickly.

It's far past time that there is a debate over if this is happening in the real world. Most of the people who refuse to accept man-made climate change have moved on to it not being mankind - accepting implicitly that it is happening and, instead, rejecting that it's us who are causing it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Being civil with people who flat-out ignore your reason and logic, then change attacks in order to uphold their beliefs - repeatedly and forever - gets old quickly.

It's far past time that there is a debate over if this is happening in the real world. Most of the people who refuse to accept man-made climate change have moved on to it not being mankind - accepting implicitly that it is happening and, instead, rejecting that it's us who are causing it.

I do not care.

There NEVER is a good reason to act like a jerk.

Ever.

Disagree and move on. Continue to stress what facts you have. Continue to show what evidence you have.

Can't handle people that do not want to agree with you? Then you really should not be entering into a debate in the first place then if all you can do after that is become insulting.

If you can't convince some people that Climate Change is caused by humans, then you either not presenting your case well, do not have enough evidence to convince them, or:

You're presenting it in such a insulting way that you are turning off your listeners.

I don't care how frustrated anyone ever gets. There is no reason to resort to acting in a bad manner. Ever.

Take a break. Take a walk. Don't hit the reply button right away (no one is forcing you to).

Keep in mind that there are those who sit on the fence on this. They lurk and watch. If you can't convince someone and then start resorting to insults.......well they see that too, and it does not give a very good impression, no mater what the debate is about.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Keep in mind that there are those who sit on the fence on this. They lurk and watch. If you can't convince someone and then start resorting to insults.......well they see that too, and it does not give a very good impression, no mater what the debate is about.

That is exactly what my point was.

This type of know it all attitude is a put off. And to be done by the leader of a country, pathetic.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Atzil321

The climate changes. It always has and always will. If it ever stops changing, that is when I would sound the alarm.

Can we affect it, and if so, by what margin? That seems to be what the debate is all about.

in 10-15 years, there should be enough data to see what the truth is. Based on public reaction at this point, it will be that long before anyone can come up with any long term plans for fixes.

But ridicule away. It shows your maturity level.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

People needs to understand that Obama is almost out of office, he is now kissing butt and paying favors to any special group agendas that will fatten his pocket after he leaves office.

That makes him a very dangerous president with his mighty pen.

Is not about what he believes is about what will give him the most.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atzil321
Anyone who denies climate change is a result of our activity deserves mockery and utter contempt. They are ignorant fools...

Knock it off. How about you prove beyond any doubt that the climate doesn't change naturally; that it never has; that it wouldn't change unless we were here; and while you are at it, explain why the climate changed in the past BEFORE fossil fuels were burned by humans.

Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The problem with humans is that earth is been here longer that we pesky humans came to be, because our brains can never comprehend time in terms of infinity, do to our mortality, we are easily manipulated to believe that clime change is new, never before happen and we should be afraid, reality tells a different story, people needs to stop looking at earth in human years and understand that earth is a lot older that their minds can comprehend.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Obviously the pollution doesn't help the planet and it's healthier for us to try not to pollute like we do. But to state that climate change is the fault of humans and that it doesn't happen in cycles .. and then to bully people who disagree .... that's just wrong.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Knock it off. How about you prove beyond any doubt that the climate doesn't change naturally; that it never has; that it wouldn't change unless we were here; and while you are at it, explain why the climate changed in the past BEFORE fossil fuels were burned by humans.

Good luck with that.

Good luck with that? Sounds a bit like mockery too me!

Who is arguing that the climate doesn't change on it's own or that it hasn't been radically different at various points in the Earth's history? What does this have to do with the affect that human activity has on climate? Furthermore, how do you know the Earth's climate has changed in the past — because of scientists? So you'll believe scientists when they say the Earth's climate has changed in the past, but you won't believe scientists who say that it's changing now and that recent trends coincide with CO² emissions?

During the Cretaceous, CO² levels peaked at somewhere north of 1000 ppm according to paleoclimatologists with an average global temperature of around 20° above what it currently is. What reason do you have to believe that living with a similarly high average global temperature would be a good thing for humans?

Shouldn't conservatives believe in erring on the side of caution?

It's ironic that many on the right get so bent out of shape about "political correctness" but whine about how they're offended when it comes to deniers being mocked.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

It is wrong, but it works when it comes to political and private interest agendas, earth went through pollution before humans came to be, during periods of early earth, the main components in our atmosphere In the Precambrian era was helium and Hydrogen, yes it was organism in earth, but they lived under the water.

The proliferation of mammals were possible when oxygen became a main component in the atmosphere, earth can survive pollution sadly we pesky animals and mammals will have a hard time adapting.

But we either do or another better species will take over.

We are not eternal after all, we are nothing but another species in planet earth.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

If you can't convince some people that Climate Change is caused by humans, then you either not presenting your case well, do not have enough evidence to convince them

I agree with you axiomatically, but not in this case.

That mantra doesn't work on political hot-topics. The fact is, all that evidence that you want is available in spades and has been presented ad nauseam. The problem is that opposing evidence is just as abundant.

With contradicting empirical data, what are you supposed to believe?

There may be hard, undeniable evidence that the global climate is not changing (or its change is completely natural), but that doesn't change the fact that humans are pumping CO² into the atmosphere at exponentially increasing rates.

What's ridiculous is that the real issue of atmospheric carbon effects on our environment is overshadowed by people arguing about whether or not it's warmer this year.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if big oil paid Al Gore to start the whole thing.

My earlier (brash) post was an attempt to juxtapose this issue with the Big Tobacco/Lung Cancer issue. Tobacco companies were able to fund research that skewed data in their favor.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Obviously the pollution doesn't help the planet and it's healthier for us to try not to pollute like we do. But to state that climate change is the fault of humans and that it doesn't happen in cycles .. and then to bully people who disagree .... that's just wrong.

It's basicly the nr 1 point (most mentioned) from this site:
www.skepticalscience.com...

Climate reacts to whatever forces it to change at the time; humans are now the dominant forcing.

Its not about you or me, but just basicly ignoring we have anything to do with it, is well pretty irresponsible, ok not that it really matters what you believe but if this is even going on on government level..

That said I don't believe currently any governement is doing anything meaningfull enough and co2 is rising each year, even when it would not rise it still wouldn't be enough to stop it and we are basicly on the point of no return.
Currently economics is just more important even when it will cost trillions of dollars (dmg due climate change)..

We just need a new (global) ''going to the moon'' program.. dont see that happening though.

edit on 26-6-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Interesting take on climate change. I can't really disagree with anything you just said except that pollution by definition refers to "the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change," but your conclusion seems to be "oh well, if we kill ourselves off, so be it" so long as no politicians beholden to the fossil fuel industry are mocked in the process.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Kill the cows.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
interestingly we are not even near of the hottest clima that earth can support, actually we are at the end on an ice age, that is why humanity has been able to proliferate.

But earth has been warmed that we will never comprehend and longer that we will ever understand. But rather than educating people about how earth clima works and change is better to profit from scaremongering and intimidation.

Earth's Climatic History
Climatologists have used various techniques and evidence to reconstruct a history of the Earth's past climate. From this data, they have found that during most of the Earth's history global temperatures were probably 8 to 15 degrees Celsius warmer than today. In the last billion years of climatic history, warmer conditions were broken by glacial periods starting at 925, 800, 680, 450, 330, and 2 million years before present.

The irony, now the clima change and warmed temperatures are to be pinned on humanity.

www.physicalgeography.net...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Knock it off. How about you prove beyond any doubt that the climate doesn't change naturally

I don't need to read any further than this ridiculous sentence to see that it's pointless engaging you in any meaningful way...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join