It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers discover Earth-sized diamond-encrusted white dwarf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Stars are usually unfathomably hot objects fueled by a nuclear inferno that can only be extinguished when it runs its course, but astronomers have detected an elusive object that doesn’t come close to fitting that description. A white dwarf star 900 light years away might be the coldest star ever found in the cosmos. Hovering near a much larger pulsar, this ancient stellar remnant has a temperature of less than 3,000 K, or about 2,700 degrees Celsius. That’s cooler than an industrial acetylene torch. It’s so old that it has crystallized into what is essentially a Earth-sized diamond, and it was surprisingly difficult to spot.

Astronomers discover Earth-sized diamond-encrusted white dwarf

Absolutely spectacular, just thought I would bring this article to the attention of my fellow ATS members.

I wonder how many carats that thing contains? Lots i imagine.
edit on 26-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Just wow. That is one big diamond. So I wonder if there are planets made of solid gold or silver or platinum?

If there are then why the hell would the annunaki have to take ours lol.

edit on 26-6-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

who cares about gold world or silver world what everyone wants to know is where is bacon word along with beer world

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
twinkle, twinkle, little star,
how I wonder what you are.
up above the world so high,
like a diamond in the sky.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
twinkle, twinkle, little star,
how I wonder what you are.
up above the world so high,
like a diamond in the sky.

I think you may be on to something huge, ...

or... not.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Technically speaking, a white dwarf isn't a star but a stellar remnant (other stellar remnants include neutron stars and black holes). A true star has thermonuclear reactions still going on inside it. Brown dwarfs are considered sub-stellar objects.

I didn't know Carbon can crystallize into diamond at such big temperatures!

It isn't the first time a "diamond star" has been found. Diamond star thrills astronomers

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
A new space race? In the future maybe?
A diamond to kill for one day!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
So where do I sign up for an excursion that returns in time for Valentines day? One trip should set me for life in that dept., eh?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Hopefully if we ever manage to travel the 900 odd light years to PSR J2222-0137 humanity will be beyond squabbling over crystallized carbon. Probably not all the same.

They could be doing with changing the name, PSR J2222-0137 does not exactly role of the tongue.

edit on 26-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Hopefully if we ever manage to travel the 900 odd light years to PSR J2222-0137 humanity will be beyond squabbling over crystallized carbon. Probably not all the same.

They could be doing with changing the name, PSR J2222-0137 does not exactly role of the tongue.

Diamentia springs to mind.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
"Up above the sky so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are..."

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: alienjuggalo

who cares about gold world or silver world what everyone wants to know is where is bacon word along with beer world

Don't know about a Bacon world (I'm WITH you on that one!), but as far as a "Beer World":

Astronomers Find Alcohol Cloud Spanning 288 Billion Miles

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The future is going to be so beautiful, if we do not kill ourselves trying to get there.

I wish I could view the white dwarf, in person. It's inspiring.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Or Lucy, in the sky, with diamonds.

new topics

top topics

join