It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your earliest memory?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My parents had the daily routine of walking to the corner store from our house so dad could get a newspaper. I assume from around the time I was walking that I would take this walk with them. (Sorry neither are around to confirm this.)
Anyways, one hot summer day just before age three, apparently I was outside playing and overheard my dad tell my mom that he wanted a newspaper. So being the adventurous little girl I was, clad in nothing but a cloth diaper...up to the store I walked...ALONE. I assume mom only turned her back for a second, but that was long enough for me to trot down the road as fast as my knee high to a grasshopper legs could carry me. After about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes...up to the house I walked...with about half a newspaper in hand. A trail of lost pages littered the road behind me. Seems I not only made it there, but five finger discounted a newspaper and made it all the way home...Mom & dad didn't know what to make of that.Was a fair jaunt from the house to the store, and you could not see one from the other. Actually a miracle I made it back intact and safe. Could have fallen down the bank and drown in the river that ran beside the road.
At least dad got his paper...err...part of it.

edit on 26-6-2014 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I have 2 very early memories. The first memory I was sitting in my high-chair next to the table with the family eating a meal...I was happy and everyone gave me special attention.

The 2nd memory is when I was 13 months old and I was in a wooden playpen in the living room; it must have been hot weather because I only had my diaper on and I do remember seeing the sunshine through the windows...anyway...I was in the playpen (in the living room) and I could see the rest of the family at the kitchen table; I remember standing up and walking over to the bars of the playpen and breaking them...and then walking into the kitchen smiling...I remember the family laughing and my mother picking me up and giving me a big hug.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Riding in the car sitting on my dad's lap. I was about 3 and he had an old Plymouth that had the gear shift on the steering column. It had 3 speeds and neutral and reverse. Anyway he use to let me change the gears. He sold it shortly afterwards and I remember crying so much, he almost backed out of the sale.

BTW I'm way before the age of car seats for kids. LOL

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I clearly remember my first words, and my first conversation with my mother. We had recently moved house, so I would have been about two and a half to three years of age. It was a freezing cold day, snow, sleet and hail taking turns to assault the house we had moved into. Icicles hung from every edge of the outside of the house, and indeed all the other houses in the street, and after an hour of steady, heavy snow, the ground became thick with the white stuff. All of this I saw from the living room window, as I perched upon a moving box, that I had shuffled into position to allow me a better view.

I should explain that up until this day, I had never spoken a word, never uttered even an attempt at language beyond the training burbles of the first two years. In fact, I had become markedly quieter, to the point where my mother was concerned that I might be deaf!

In any case, my mother walked into the room behind me, and I turned around to see that she was watching me, watch the snow. I got down from my perch, walked over to her, and pointed at the buggy that she would push me around in. I spake thusly "Beach, buggy, walk!".

While mothers flabber was officially ghasted, I clambered into my coat and put a hat on, and my mother wept a bit, smiling the whole time, and after she had donned her own coat and hat, and put little mittens on my hands, down to the beach we went. The sands were covered in snow, and it was so cold that the point where the sea meets the shore was frozen solid, the crests of waves unbroken hung frozen before the shore, as if time had halted for them just before impact with the land.

I remember that so vividly, much more so than the sketchy memories from before we moved. That frozen vista is locked within my mind, as firmly as the conversation which lead to me seeing it. A year later, my mother asked me why I had not spoken before that incident, and I told her "I had nothing to say before!".

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
When I ran and cracked my head on the corner of a table, I was 6.. Now I have the mark on my forehead.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Mine was of my dad taking me to this place where there was a portly man standing behind a bar who gave me a paper headband with a brightly colored feather on it and had pictures of Native Americans on the walls. I also remember climbing up a step to an area with that kind of smoke brass mirror stuff on the walls and a wood parquet floor and dancing. My mother estimated that I was less than a year old (early walker) in the memory and at first didn't believe me that I recalled something that young til I described the place. Then she got furious at my dad for bringing me to a bar when I was still a baby.

LOL

It's kind of funny, too, because I have amnesia. I remember that bar in detail at around age 1l but lost whole segments of my older childhood years. Go figure.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
About two years old, riding in one of those battery powered kid cars down a hill, in Lebanon, at my Dad's family's house. Getting off and using the swingset.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The reason I posted this thread was I curious how many first memories were shocking or traumatic events. I also have early memories that couldn't be real. But there are elements that I couldn't have known.

One is being carried to the back of my parents property by cousin...I could barely walk at the time...and left alone. I think she wanted to see if I could walk back to the house. I panicked and started running back to home base, and every few steps I would come upon a coiled snake. I don't think I had ever seen a snake or knew what one was.

The other one that bugs me is a memory of getting out of bed and walking into the living room. Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein, and the Mummy, were there. I was too young to have seen those movies. I remember running back to my bed and hiding under the covers.

I have concluded that at an early age dreams and memories can become indistinguishable.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I've got a couple of aberrant memories of the whacked child mind but they're not my earliest. One was of a camping/fishing trip when I was about 6 (got a Sweet 16 barbie that was manufactured in 1975 so using that as an estimate). I thought I saw Humpty Dumpty through the trees at one point. Seems like a really whacked memory but I'm guessing that I was at Point Defiance and probably saw Humpty Dumpty in the Never Never Land park off in the distance at one point. I also saw something else but am loathe to discuss that. So yes, I do have some rather whacked childhood memories. Oddly enough, I always remembered the bar and the couple whacky ones. They were my precious few.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join