It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient archery technique rediscovered. Shoot 3 arrows in 1 and half seconds.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This video just blew my mind.
Before watching, if you would have told me that someone could fire 3 arrows in 1 1/2 seconds I would not have believed you.
What about 10 arrows in 4 seconds?

The video states that this is a rediscovered technique that was employed notably by the Persians. I can't speak to the accuracy of the sources but I find it at least plausible.

I think ancient people were smarter and more capable than we give them credit for.

edit on 25-6-2014 by elitelogic because: Fixed Youtube link

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
S&F raining here my signal rubbish will pop back to see the vid once rain clears and signal gets better ..

The ancients were far smarter than people today give them credit for.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Boy that was fast, I didn't even see the guy shoot the arrows. The link doesn't work, the Youtube page address doesn't work right either.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Wow, that is pretty amazing!

I've always loved archery, thanks for sharing.

edit on 6/25/2014 by xenthuin because: Removed embedded video since the OP corrected the issue

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Who needs bow and arrows, when we could just bomb it up... Lol

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The vid link isn't working for me. I know many excellent archers. I'm not one, but I am pretty damn good with a slingshot. I have popped dove in flight. I've gathered a lot of squirrel and rabbits with one.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: elitelogic

The vid works for me. That's amazing! I would have never thought so many arrows could be flying through the air at once!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I always wondered in descriptions of ancient battles that mentioned that it took years and years to make a competent archer why it would take so long.Now I know.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Archers had the physique of a boxer and well were paid in order to have a premium meat diet. Think of all that upper arm body strength and general endurance.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Vids working now. Holy hell! We got ourselves a bad ass here.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: elitelogic
WOW!!!
I didn't think it was possible either but dayum he's got skills. It's crazy to think that this is how archers used to be.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Great video and obviously talented archer, but is this really a "rediscovery?" Isn't this fairly well known as Mongolian Speed Shooting, the arrows are not held in a quiver but in the hand, arrows tilted on the non-dominant eye, with thumb draw? I liken it to him having a highly developed skill, but not a rediscovery of some lost technique. Mongol archers developed their bow with short range, rapid fire in mind, and no reticules and light draw weight. Much more effective on horseback for their style of lighting attack than something like an English long bow.

He also is shooting at an extremely close target, so he is hardly drawing the bow, another time saver. If the target had been further away, he would have had to draw further and would have lost time doing so.

Still, S+F for the video and interesting topic.
edit on 26-6-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Most amazing thing I've seen in awhile!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Great video and obviously talented archer, but is this really a "rediscovery?" Isn't this fairly well known as Mongolian Speed Shooting, the arrows are not held in a quiver but in the hand, arrows tilted on the non-dominant eye, with thumb draw? I liken it to him having a highly developed skill, but not a rediscovery of some lost technique. Mongol archers developed their bow with short range, rapid fire in mind, and no reticules and light draw weight. Much more effective on horseback for their style of lighting attack than something like an English long bow.

He also is shooting at an extremely close target, so he is hardly drawing the bow, another time saver. If the target had been further away, he would have had to draw further and would have lost time doing so.

He got all ten arrows in the air at full draw. I bet he has rediscovered some anchient tricks and techniques. I don't know if Mongolian trick shooting could be considered mainstream enough knowledge to say its not lost. Lol

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
This vid answers a question for me from years ago .It was found that in China there were a disproportionate amount of left hand bows in ancient times .It was determined that they were shot with the right hand but used the thumb .I can see how he could knock the arrows with his fingers and be drawing the string back with the thumb at the same time .It would sure add to the speed . I used to shoot my friends left hand bow using that method .neat stuff a reply to: Blackmarketeer

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I watched this awhile back and tried it out myself. It obviously takes a bit of practice. The biggest problem is that to fire fast you cannot fully draw the bow. Its also very hard on your hands.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

He got all ten arrows in the air at full draw. I bet he has rediscovered some anchient tricks and techniques. I don't know if Mongolian trick shooting could be considered mainstream enough knowledge to say its not lost. Lol

The Mongolian archery skills are fairly much well known (and fantastic to watch) if people are looking for such information, I agree it's not really 'rediscovered' which implies it was lost. Great that more people are seeing such skill being used though.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
WOW thats fast and hes still got power and range - very impressive.

My grandfather taught me how to make long bows and arrows from scratch, i definitely think this technique would not be effective on a 5-6 foot bow with meter long arrows.

While long bows have insane range you would only get one or two off on an advancing short bow, while hes firing 10 in 5 seconds when he gets in range.

VERY nasty!!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Before the scene with the chain mail I was assuming he was sacrificing power for speed but I guess that isn't the case. It would kind of work like a three round burst on an assault weapon I think, but requiring a reload between bursts.

Anyone know what kind of draw weight a bow that size would have? I've always heard welsh bowmen were renowned for being able to fire 20 shots a minute with a 100lb bow.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Incredible!
Never heard of the technique before.
Thanks for posting this!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join