It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

page: 1

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This story actually is a few years old but when I read this, it really stuck with me especially knowing the words were by a 6 year old kid

Sometimes when things seems so complicated, it takes the mind of a youngster to simplify them and put them into perspective for us adults. LOL

This story is told by a veterinarian who had to put this 10 year old dog down that was suffering from cancer & the parents concern for their young son and what his reaction would be towards losing their family dog

The young boy speaks of why Humans live longer than dogs and his reasoning behind it is simply touching and yet simple

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'

The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Linky

We sure can take a lot of lessons from our 4-legged buddies, cats included

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

*When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
*Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
*Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
*Take naps.
*Stretch before rising.
*Run, romp, and play daily.
*Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
*Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
*On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
*On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
*When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
*Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
*Be loyal.
*Never pretend to be something you're not.
*If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
*When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

- Author unknown.

The bottom line, they love us unconditionally and are loyal to the end!!!

We had to put our Lab down a few years ago and I still miss him dearly
But after reading those words, it puts it in a different light
He was full of love, was a joy to be with and made us laugh. And for that, I am grateful!!!

Here's to all our fur-faced friends, K9 and feline alike....

And to the sweet little boy who's words will never be forgotten ....

edit on 25-6-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I absolutely love it. Being owned by a mighty, chihuahua myself. He seems to be more attuned to my emotions than anyone walking around on 2 legs. Just imagine a world full of people with the capacity to love just as our furry family members do.

There's your utopia.

Thank for sharing!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
That made me get a little soggy eyed. I have always had a dog. They have all been abandoned and starved when I found them. When one passes away, another just seems to magically show up, usually within a week or two. If you save a hungry dog, you have a loyal friend for life.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Brilliant, just brilliant.

I honestly have nothing more to add to this thread, sorry.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Really makes you sit back and think

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Oh man... that was a emotional ride!
Thanks for the share

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
That was beautiful OP.

I've had my current baby with me since birth. She never leaves my side. We have loved her everyday of her life, she is a cherished family member, as they ALL deserve to be.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Gosh darn it!! Now my eyes are wet. Lost mine 2years ago last February and just haven't had the courage to get another one. Kids can truly say the most amazing things.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

*When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
*Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Aww! This definitely played on my heart strings...
My dad always asks me 'do you want to come with me for a little drive to get some milk or pick up some groceries, or come with me so that I can get a quick haircut, etc.' and I usually refuse. It's simple and what may appear to be 'insignificant' moments like these that are actually the ones that will stay with us and we'll remember later in life.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Is that why cats have 9 lives?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This story is a modern day fable that hints of the promise of human potential. This childlike innocence is childhood wisdom. My hope is that someday we shall become what we should.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

G,day mate
WOW. and old saying you prob have it too
OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABS

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Puck on your bed, poop ware you dont wont them to,
eat computer cables, eat the mail,
teal my biscuits, and nuts but puck them up!
wake me with her squeaky in my face!
Make me lover her...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

???????????????????????

Okaaaay.....thanks for sharing your thought

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Very touching story! S and F for You! Made a lump in my throat.

Had to put down 2 dogs in my life so far. Was VERY Hard!

We rescued a newborn pup. Was a week old or so when his mother
was killed by the owner for a revenge tactic to the ex wife.
Now Skooter , a Chorkie, is 5 years old and a wonderful addition to our Family!

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thank you.
Had to put my 8 year old Rottweiler down this morning because of an aggressive bone cancer...log on to look at what else is going on in the world & amazingly this thread is on the front page...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Thank you.
Had to put my 8 year old Rottweiler down this morning because of an aggressive bone cancer...log on to look at what else is going on in the world & amazingly this thread is on the front page...

This morning?
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that....I feel for you, truly
They become one of the family

I was lost for a good month after we put ours down because my whole routine was screwed up, not to mention my buddy was gone
That was the bargain to begin with when we got our 2nd lab....he was MY responsibility due to the fact we travel
From 8 weeks until he passed at 7 1/2 yo, I had full charge of him, even tho my husband was the 'Alpha Male' of the herd! LOL

I keep hinting for another Lab --- soon I hope, soon

Once again, my deepest sympathy

Take care~
snarky

edit on 28-6-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Thanks for your post snarky412, presently my Yellow Lab is suffering with a back injury and cancer and has a month maybe more. I feel so blessed to have him as my friend, no matter how bad my day has been he never fails to show me love and friendship. Now we are doing the same for him, he eats better than I do, salmon, pork, and pretty much anything else he wants. Fortunately we have a very good vet, he is doing his best to help him with his pain and the past few days he has been back to himself more since he was hurt. Don't ever take their friendship for granted, they never do!

top topics

join