It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wa. School Bans Birthday Cupcakes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Run for school board. Become active in PTA.
You have the most say in things at the local level.
So many political topics diverge to events the common individual has no sway over.
BUT it all starts locally. Don't like something? Go to the meeting, get on the minutes. Run for a seat on the school board....or just sit and bitch. It's easier than you think. In many states, you simply need to pay a small fee to have your name added to the ballot. We're talking less than $50 bucks.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: Destinyone

Last time I checked ...all registered voters could elect their school board candidate of choice. If they do not exercise this right, or go to meetings to voice their displeasure, then I dont feel sorry. I never realized anywhere that this matter Was important enough to bring in front of an elected school board that I am willing to bet nearly all of the posters do not belong to. Local matter. Remember it, but pay attention to your own backyard first.

It's time for someone else to be involved with the school and the school board, my kid is 30 years old. For me here is the thing, if it's not that important why did they need to change it? This is just another example of someone in charge making decisions on things that are meaningless to anybody but the kids. How many kids were poisoned by someone mom's cupcakes last year?

And BTW I can't see where I could agree on anything the current administration does, but I do vote and I can't get an audience with the administration to voice my displeasure. Boy if I could they would get an ear full.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Allergies to ingredients not disclosed on homemade cake. Cleanliness of kitchen not verified by qualified inspectors. d reply to: Destinyone

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Allergies to ingredients not disclosed on homemade cake. Cleanliness of kitchen not verified by qualified inspectors. d reply to: Destinyone

I trust the kitchens of parents, more than I trust the kitchens of fast food places, millions of kids get driven through daily...

Des

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Right Des but what about the kid who needs constant supervision or they will try to eat what they have been told they can't? Those kids exist in the real world. In yours everybody does what ever mommy tells them to. In the real world not so much. Now we have law suits because a kid who didn't listen or maybe didn't understand has eaten a food he's highly allergic to and has died. Whoopsy daisy. Sorry bout that. Sure. n reply to: Destinyone

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well you shouldn't. Who's to say those kitchens are cleaner than a restaurant kitchen. At least the restaurant gets occasional inspections. a reply to: Destinyone

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
How many kids are in a typical class, 30? What if every kid's parent brought cake and cupcakes every time one their kids had a birthday? Is the teacher supposed to just make time for a celebration. It seems like quite the distraction!

My daughter's 40, but I don't remember kids parents bringing treats to school for the kids when she was in school, and they didn't when I was in school either.

We had birthday parties for that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

It is not the responsibility of schools to monitor your child's food at all times. It's the responsibility of the parents to teach their child at home, what is and is not allowed to eat. The parent can notify the school of allergies, that is common practice.

To make one, or a few children's dietary restrictions, be the common denominator of what all children at school can eat, is what is making our schools what they are today..institutions of rigid rules. And parents not taking responsibility to properly instruct their own children in the importance of their dietary needs.

This reminds me of the nutty woman who wants the oak trees cut down due to her teen kids allergies to acorns.

Ontario mother criticized over fight to banish acorns from schoolyard

“This is ridiculous on too many levels to even engage,” said Nicholas Christakis, a professor of medical sociology at Harvard Medical School and critic of nut policies in schools.

“My feelings are that we cannot childproof the whole world, we have to world-proof our children,” added Lenore Skenazy, the New York-based author of Free Range Parenting. “If it is dangerous for some kids to encounter an acorn, those kids have to be taught not to touch them, because there are trees all over, not just near the school. The best way to keep them safe is to train them to take care of themselves, not to cut down all the trees they may ever walk under anywhere.”
news.nationalpost.com...[/e xnews]

I agree with the statement in the article. "We cannot childproof the whole world, we have to world-proof our children,”

Des

edit on 26-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

This is yet another case of the schools thinking they are in control. Parents need to start demanding changes, and not allow this trend to continue. Whose kids are they? Yours or the state's?

As for allergies, a child with those would simply not eat it, if there was a worry. Parents could ask ahead of time, too, and avoid allergy substances for a child n the class, or offer an alternative for that child. Banning the cupcakes is ridiculous.

I honestly don't know how anyone who has ANY option leaves their kids in public schools. I know some don't have a choice, but many do.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: beezzer

Gosh Beez...I was clueless you were a card carrying member of the cupcake gestapo...

I had made these cupcakes for you, was going to ship them tomorrow. Knowing your stance on cupcakes now. I know they would surely offend you deeply...showing a bunny hiney and all. So I will throw them out on the thread for any takers...

Des

Awwww!!!!!!!!!!!!! You simply have to post directions for these!!! Too cute!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Its not always about control sometimes its simply about safety ! Every child is titled to safe schoolday so if your kid isn´t allowed to bring cupcakes to school to celebrate her/his birthday due the fact your cupcakes do not come with ingredients listed ( what additives were used.. ( e-codes in Europe ) ) specially additives can be highly allergenic then you need to ask what is allowed.
Who is responsible during schoolday of your child .. its the school not the parents. Parents are responsible to alert school for possible allergies and health issues but as parents are not in the school supervising their kids during the schoolday the responsible is for school then.

edit on 26-6-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Des

I think a batch of these need to be made and sent to the school board with the following addition:

1. A small sign made with an arrow pointing to the cute little bunny hiney with instructions that read: pucker up and place kiss here.

I am of the age that if I were able to have had children, I would now be well into the 'grammy' stage. I don't ever remember celebrating birthdays in school but we did have little parties for Halloween, Christmas and things like that, where everyone brought in a little something to share. Times were more simple then however, when personal responsibility was taught by parents and not mandated by government. Bad behavior was not excused away with some disorder followed by a perscription for pills to make little Johnny more managable. If you did something you were not supposed to then you were made to suffer the consequences of your actions, usually without too much pity from others, not run as fast as you can to file a lawsuit.

I understand we are dealing with a rise in deadly food allergies in children. I get that, but I fail to see why this should be controlled by government other than a "CYA" measure on their part. These actions are not out of any care or concern for your children's wellbeing or inclusion, it is only a measure to prevent lawsuits, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Many good points have been made.

Gluten and Lactose intolerance are on the rise.
Maybe the parents simply don't want their kids to eat so much sugar.
30 kids in a class makes for a LOT of cupcakes through the year.
I never got cupcakes for a kid's birthday in school.

Why SHOULD the school allow kids to bring food into the classroom? Kids can celebrate their birthdays at home and will likely get a cake and party. They can invite their friends from school and celebrate outside of school. The school is under no obligation to allow celebrations of this type.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Cupcakes in school for birthdays is 'Americana'.
Too bad Americana is being killed. Sad really.

When my daughter had a birthday in school (grade 5-8) I'd take cupcakes for her class. They had them at lunchtime in the lunchroom so it wasn't any kind of distraction for teachers. In addition to the cupcakes I brought a box of sugar free dye free gluten free nut free cookies for anyone with allergies to munch on.

It's not that hard to do.
And it worked fine.

The kids with allergies (only one with a peanut butter allergy) knew enough not to eat the cupcakes but instead eat the cookies. They all were FINE with it. Everyone was happy.

Give the kids the cupcakes. Provide an alternative. Easy-peasy.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I suspect It's this new' no gluten' trend
Suddenly, inexplicably millions of people are allergic to wheat.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Why can't schools let kids be kids. No more cupcakes, but kids can bring pencils, erasers or origami to celebrate their Birthdays. Those are going to taste like crap. I know, I chewed on enough of them as a kid.

Des, it's a simple thing here. You and I are just too old and crusty to 'feel' the new world. Fun has no place in school. Smiles are for those who aren't conforming (VERY bad thing) and suggesting they would eat something other than what is dictated as properly researched, evaluated and produced for the right nutritional balance in the State supplied lunch is most definitely not on the program.

When we went to school? It was about Reading/Writing/Arithmetic. Now it's about Conform/Obey/Serve.....or serve time. The kids have a choice, I suppose.

Welcome to the brave new world where a cupcake requires regulations to prohibit it.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Meh. Cupcakes are overrated. Plus, kids have soooooo many other opportunities for sugar. I have relatives who are teachers, and they hate when kids o.d. on sugar during the school day. They're too hyped up to pay attention during the sugar high, and they just want to nap during the crash (hmmm - maybe that has something to do with American students' low scores compared with other countries?). When my daughter was in elementary, I used to bring in all kinds of fruit on her birthday. One year, I got very creative and made a cool design with the fruit on a big platter. The kids loved it!

I remember when my daughter was in 6th grade, one of her classmates was an origami pro. On his birthday, he brought in a small origami animal for each kid in the class. My daughter and her friends thought it was the coolest thing. She kept that little origami dragon on her shelf at home for a year. It lasted a lot longer than a cupcake would have.
edit on 27-6-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit...my heart breaks for kids in public schools in current times. So much so many of them will never experience.

I have a friend who teaches, has been for 19 years now. She told me the new regulations require telling the kids they are not allowed to trade anything from lunches brought from home.

Gosh, that was half the fun of lunch, wheeling and dealing for a twinkie, at lunch. Or what will you trade me for these cookies.

School plays at Christmas, Halloween costume parades, trading valentines...all gone now.

Actually working hard to win a ribbon on the track or swim team. Now everyone gets one, so no one feels bad. It took a whole element of working for what you get, to universal entitlement. I think that is a bad way for kids to be programed from day one in school.

Taking cupcakes out of school, is a steeper slippery slope of turning our children from kids into prisoner, held for indoctrination, 5 days a week.

Des

edit on 27-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

.my heart breaks for kids in public schools in current times. So much so many of them will never experience.

That's exactly how I feel. A lot of what is 'Americana' is being taken away. Cupcakes being taken away is a symptom of a much larger issue. Very sad.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

.my heart breaks for kids in public schools in current times. So much so many of them will never experience.

That's exactly how I feel. A lot of what is 'Americana' is being taken away. Cupcakes being taken away is a symptom of a much larger issue. Very sad.

Norman Rockwell wouldn't recognize America today...is that sad, or what.

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join