It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Potentially Life Bearing Exoplanet Detected 16 Light Years from Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Exciting to imagine...adding a little perspective, One light year is 5,878,499,810,000 miles or 9,460,528,400,000 kilometers. Almost 6 trillion miles. 10 light-years is 60 trillion miles....16 light-years is 96 trillion....etc..

Theoretically we could travel at approximately one-half the speed of light and survive the radiation damage.

Instead, there's a natural speed limit imposed by safe levels of radiation due to hydrogen, which means humans couldn't travel faster than half the speed of light unless they were willing to die almost immediately. Dammit. [Natural Science]

Traveling at the speed of light would Kill you

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

It would only kill you if the type of propulsion was of a fairly brute force nature, rather than involving some sort of space warp function, to isolate the craft from the negative effects of relativistic speed. Also, it should be noted that there has been work done on plasma based energy shielding for deep space missions, which, if completed and applied to any possible deep exploration mission, would mitigate the problem admirably by all accounts.

There was a video which demonstrated the laboratory experiment used as proof of concept for the plasma shield, but I am damned if I can find it.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handy

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It would have two times or more gravity.
you could not move!

you all fall for this?
they dont know. they just make it up.
good way to get money for NASA.

and get fools to go in to space.
bye bye one way trip!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

The planets size is not what determines its mass, and therefore it's gravity. Volume is not always a reliable indicator of mass.

A small, dense body, can have a higher gravitational pull, than a large low density body.

Here is an example. Imagine you have a soccer ball sized ping pong ball, and place it in a paddling pool. It will float quite happily, displacing very little water. If you also obtained a soccer ball sized, solid sphere of iron, it would sink immediately to the bottom of the pool.

This is a good analogy for the difference in the density of planetary bodies, because the way we think about gravity, is to imagine planets and other objects in space, as resting on a large rubber mat, the rubber mat being representative of space time. Denser objects resting on the skin of space time, create greater gravity wells, and less dense objects make smaller ones.

An example of an object which has very small volume, and very large density or mass, is the singularity at the core of a black hole. While being relatively small in terms of its volume, it's mass is so gigantic that it stretches space time like nothing else in the universe, creating black holes from which not even light can escape!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: eriktheawful
Radio (microwaves) is not the only form of electromagnetic radiation.

I can't locate the original paper but here is a review of one written by a man I know. A physicist with an amazing, if somewhat impractical, imagination. The antithesis of how many view today's scientists.

This paper demonstrates reasons why research supporting SETI and Communication with Extraterrestrial Intelligence should be broadened to optical wavelengths rather than focusing almost entirely upon microwave wavelengths and technologies. New perceptions regarding the feasibility of laser technologies, along with reassessments of signal-to-noise considerations, show both the desirability and feasibility of optical interstellar transmissions, especially at IR and visible wavelengths. It is shown that utilization of the large bandwidths available at optical wavelengths greatly improves the possible use of such endeavors.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

The review

Oh I agree with you Phage.

That's why I said "EM". and not just radio.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Exactly. If you want to look for life, biomarker gases are what you want to look for.

Radio signals are super basic. Advanced technology will not use them. If we were serious, we would search for quantum based communication in some way.

Biomarker gases are something we can try to detect today.

We're not just talking about radio (which is a limited amount of the EM spectrum) and communications.

I'm also talking about radar, x-rays, lasers.

We should try using everything at our disposal to search. Why assume that any life out there is always going to be more advanced than us, so much so that they stopped using tech that we still use?

Spectral analysis of their atmosphere can be highly suggestive, but in no way will confirm intelligence.

Picking up a pulsed radar beam on the other hand, or having optics sensitive enough to detect light from fusion rockets they might be using to mine their asteroids.......(both are EM).....now that would be more along the lines of actual proof.

My point is: if there is other intelligent life out there (and I believe there is), they may not all be super advanced races that have god like technology.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Hostile to life as we know it.

Something tells me we are going to find some pretty cool things out there 1 day.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: fatpastyhead

Something tells me we are going to find some pretty cool things out there 1 day.

If there could be life on a "Super Venus", then there could also be life on Venus. And I don't know of anyone that postulates that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

If there could be life on a "Super Venus", then there could also be life on Venus. And I don't know of anyone that postulates that.

Actually, in the upper part of the atmosphere on Venus, conditions are a lot more "Earth Like", and it's been theorized that air born microscopic life might actually be able to thrive there.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Exactly. If you want to look for life, biomarker gases are what you want to look for.

Radio signals are super basic. Advanced technology will not use them. If we were serious, we would search for quantum based communication in some way.

Biomarker gases are something we can try to detect today.

How do you know what advanced technology aliens would use?

Again, there are many uses for radio/microwaves which do not involve using them for communication even if some sort of better communication method were found (by the way, communication with entangled particles would not be faster than light so you can rule that out.)

Your car's spark plugs emit radio waves which have nothing to do with communication.

SETI is simply looking for artificially produced radio waves, not necessarily communication.

Some examples of things advanced aliens might use microwaves/radio waves for:

Asteroid Belt Mapping in their system
Beamed propulsion for interplanetary or interstellar craft
Beamed power for free floating space colonies far beyond the home star
Aircraft and spacecraft radar
Ion or Plasma drive byproducts

I could go on and on...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
It would have two times or more gravity.
you could not move!

Not necessarily.

Gravity depends on composition.

And there is plenty of life on Earth which exists at pressures far greater than 2g.

you all fall for this?
they dont know. they just make it up.

The beauty of science is that it is self-correcting. If "they just made it up" it would quickly get found out because you know, any astronomer who would suspect something wrong can go and check their data or gather their own to refute it.

good way to get money for NASA.

God forbid we actually fund NASA right?

With you running things humans would never progress.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Carl Sagan did at one time.

It was thought that there could be life in Venus's upper atmosphere where it is cooler. However we've studied the planet in detail since then and found no such life.

This is a different planet unlike Venus or anything else in our solar system. We do not know its composition much less atmosphere, weather etc......yet.

So the jury is still out.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

It was thought that there could be life in Venus's upper atmosphere where it is cooler. However we've studied the planet in detail since then and found no such life.

This is a different planet unlike Venus or anything else in our solar system. We do not know its composition much less atmosphere, weather etc......yet.

Regardless. The headline says "Super-Earth" and "Habitable" . But the article says "more likely" it's a "Super-Venus" that's "hostile to life".

Classic disingenuous link-bait article. And that was the point I was making.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Regardless. The headline says "Super-Earth" and "Habitable" . But the article says "more likely" it's a "Super-Venus" that's "hostile to life".

Classic disingenuous link-bait article. And that was the point I was making.

The "more likely" you refer to is pretty much a guess based on very little data. Without knowing its atmospheric composition its impossible to know if it is a supersized Earth or a supersized Venus.

You know why Venus is so hot right? It's thick atmosphere of CO2 which is the result of processes early in its life.

Without knowing the atmosphere of Gliese 832 c it can't be ruled out as far as habitability.

So it was not 'click bait'. A planet's habitability today is determined by rough data about its size, amount of stellar flux received and eccentricity of its orbit.

By those measures this is a potentially habitable planet which is what the title of this post says, nothing more.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join