It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found an Unknown Object in the Woods Today. What is it ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I found this object today while walking my dogs in the woods here in New England. I have absolutely no idea what it is, which is pretty cool and doesn't happen everyday. So of course I picked it up and put it in my pocket with the hope of figuring out its origin.

It doesn't feel like it's made of hard rock, but more like a ceramic type material. It is very hollow and sounds somewhat like a maraca when shaken, due to a few errant pieces of something inside. Weighs roughly a half pound.

The object was found about 200 yards from the river when we came to a sandy area where the turtles like to lay their eggs this time of year. The Coyotes also like to dig up and eat those eggs. The object was apparently dug up by one of the Coyotes. It lay half buried in a pile of sand.

I'm thinking it could be some kind of random industrial slag from the river, a kindergarten art project or perhaps a petrified turd. I don't know, but I do know that I want to know.

Thanks for your help. *Mini bic lighter included in pics for size comparison. Right click "view image" to see pics full size.

edit on 6/25/2014 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Could it be a meteorite that burned up on entry??

Try the test on this Link if it is, you may have a bit of money there.
edit on 6/25/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

pretty neat little unit, hopefully it's a meteorite!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That's very neat! I hope you find out what it is, I'm curious now too!

What made you pick it up? Just the way it looked?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Looks like some kind of conglomerate stone with a bunch of quartz in it. It's very beautiful and has a really nice shape.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
cocoon ? its hollow inside and doesn´t feel like a rock... you need to get it scanned !

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Looks like bits of metal, like bits of solder or something in it.

Could those indents be what was eggs of something that hatched some time ago, the eggs got imbedded while object was soft?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It be a dragon egg... You should keep it warm.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: METACOMET

Does the rock feel greasy or waxy to the touch?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Don't break it open...it could have a thousand tiny baby spiders inside.

Nope, nope, nope!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sit on it for a while...see what happens.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

Thanks for the link. The gizmo does not attract a magnet.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
Looks like some kind of conglomerate stone with a bunch of quartz in it. It's very beautiful and has a really nice shape.

Nah, I never metamorphic that I didn't like. Pretty sure it's a metamorphic rock that just has different layers of minerals within it. If it were a conglomerate, I think it'd be more "lumpy" due to some parts of the rock wearing faster than others based on differing mineral contents.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Does the rock feel greasy or waxy to the touch?

No it doesn't. It feels like it has a glassy type surface. Somewhat like a shellac.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I would have broken it open by now...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
My guess....

def. Coquina (“co-keen-ah”):
A sedimentary rock consisting of loosely-consolidated fragments of shells and/or coral. The matrix or “cement” consolidating the fragments is generally calcium carbonate or phosphate. Coquina is a soft, white rock which is often used as a building stone. Coquina forms in near-shore environments, such as marine reefs. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, coquina is a loanword from Spanish meaning “shell-fish” or “cockle” (a type of bivalve mollusc). Also according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word was first used in English (to refer to the building stone) in 1837 in the book The Territory of Florida by J.L. Williams.

c-is-for-coquina

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Looks like a geode that has been polished by the river.

Since you say it feels and sounds hollow, it probably has some cool quartz crystals inside.

If it was me, i would crack it open and see whats inside.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

If it were a conglomerate, I think it'd be more "lumpy"

Yeah, agreed, and not as glossy. Looks like the OP's piece has been polished? I think that the "slaggy" looking bits are really neat.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There's got to be either a College or Junior College near by. Tell one of the teachers of the Medical teaching section that you'd like their assistance in finding out what it is. Tell them if it proves to be significant find that you'll share the glory with them. I believe you'll find that they'll jump on the chance to try and identify it with an x-ray machine.

If it were me, I'd try and insist on being there as they scan it or X-Ray it as part of deal.

Off hand though (to me), it appears to be "Thunder Egg" that has tumbled quite a bit (smoother sides). The insides can be filled with lovely crystal (which would be why it appears to be hollow inside).. Or it also could be of the Agate family (again, lovely centers to behold)

edit on 6/25/2014 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That looks to me like a chunk of ceramic that was glazed and fired. Probably just a failed project that someone decided to bake anyways. My sister used to design ceramic jewelry, she had clumps like that all the time.

Here's a random pic off the internet for an example. img0.etsystatic.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join