It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone needs to study Ideomotor (swinging pendulum) phenomenon.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
In 2007 I learned about the swinging pendulum phenomenon and experimented with it many times. I would use basically any material such as a key and a piece of thread to test the theory. At first I began with just drawing out a circle and divide it into quarters writing various answers such as yes/no/maybe in each quarter. To my amazement, it would swing without me consciously doing anything.

Now, I'm a pragmatic person and even though I believe in metaphysical stuff, I'm also grounded. I would not want to 'force' any particular outcome when I experiment with such things. It just wouldn't be truthful to me and I aim to rule out any influence I may have over the results. So, I would place my hands together locked with my elbows firmly on the table to prevent any sway and let the key dangle there. Depending on the questions I asked, it would rotate clockwise, counter-clockwise, front to back, sideways or diagonally left/right or right/left. I can assure, I am in NO way doing anything to cause such a dramatic change in direction.

I began to think. "Could I be doing this subconsciously?" Are all these answers coming from my own subconscious and somehow tiny muscular actions are taking place in my finger tips? So I researched and found a term called ideomotor.

As in reflexive responses to pain, the body sometimes reacts reflexively to ideas alone without the person consciously deciding to take action[citation needed]. For instance, tears are produced by the body unconsciously in reaction to powerful emotions[citation needed]. The effects of automatic writing, dowsing, facilitated communication, and Ouija boards have been attributed to the phenomenon. Mystics have often attributed these effects to paranormal or supernatural force. Many subjects are unconvinced that their actions are originating solely from within themselves.

en.wikipedia.org...

It would appear the term was first coined in 1852 by William Carpenter in which he prepared a scientific study discussing involuntary muscle actions based on one's "ideas" Hence, Ideo-Motor.

Subsequently...

Scientific tests by the English scientist Michael Faraday, Manchester surgeon James Braid,[2] the French chemist Michel Eugène Chevreul, and the American psychologists William James and Ray Hyman have demonstrated that many phenomena attributed to spiritual or paranormal forces, or to mysterious "energies," are actually due to ideomotor action.

If you google these chaps, they were only alive in the 19th century and any findings they had in their experiments are completely outdated by today's technological standards. This bothers me and I'll tell you why.

When I place the thread in my hand with the pendulum dangling, I close my hand in a fist. Then I take my other free hand and clasp it around my fist to make sure there isn't any movement and place my elbows firmly down to produce a tirangle. Then I begin by saying "show me yes" wait, then "show me no". The thing damn straight starts swinging in a back and forth movement for yes and side to side for no without fail every time. So I googled "swinging pendulum answers" and to my surprise...

The following is the basic layout of a pendulum board and how to program the directions.
Yes ~ an up and down direction.
No ~ a side to side (left to right) direction.
Maybe ~ a diagonal direction, from the lower left to upper right corners of the circle.
Don't Want To Answer ~ a diagonal direction , from the lower right to the upper left corners of the circle.
Probably Yes ~ a clockwise circle.
Probably Not ~ a counter-clockwise circle.

www.paganspath.com...

Ok, now you tell me. How could I have "subconsciously" swung the pendulum and achieve the exact same response PRIOR to ever researching? Now, I understand this is hardly scientific. I also can't guarantee my arms in this solid triangular formation aren't moving to some slight degree, minuscule if any so I would ask, is there a better way to gauge any slight movement in my arms. Slight shake, sway, any small movements? Because I can say without a doubt that this thing will swing. It will start, stop, change direction almost at will.
It really does blow my mind. And it has been accurate. So accurate in fact, I inquired about my own death. Something I don't recommend doing BTW.

So there it is. I would really like to see this phenomenon studied in more depth besides a 19th century test. Something I feel is really going on here.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

When I was a child, my mother and grandmother would predict the sex of an unborn child by tying the woman's wedding ring on a thread and letting it swing over her belly. It would swing in a circle if the fetus was a girl, back and forth if it was a boy.

I saw confirmation of one test and they were correct. They said it had never failed for them.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Very interesting topic, thanks for posting it here!

You asked how the pendulum could have been swinging up and down for 'yes' and side to side for 'no' before you even learned that these were indeed the appropriate movements for a pendulum board... my only guess, and it assumes some subconscious muscle movement, is that up and down is how we nod "yes" and side to side is how we shake our head for "no".

Looking forward to learning more about this.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

My family does the same. Worked for my child as well as my cousin. Strange O.o

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Yes, that would seem the most logical, but it doesn't explain counter-clockwise or any of the other movements.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Try the pendulum hanging independent from a stick...bet it doesn't move at all.
edit on 25-6-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sure, it won't. But that's supposed to be because whatever energy that is moving the pendulum is supposed to be grounded through you as the conductor.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Yes, that would seem the most logical, but it doesn't explain counter-clockwise or any of the other movements.

I'm sorry, I probably misread/misunderstood your original post. I thought you had only gotten it to say "yes" and "no"... that is curious, and strange there would be a universal language (so to speak) for things like "maybe" and "probably yes."

Have you ever tried to "will" it to go a different direction that expected? Make it go side-to-side for a "yes" answer, for instance?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Tried. I will say it moves based on what I expect it to do but I still can't be sure how. What I did was take the above poster's "stick" idea and wrap the thread around the middle of a pen holding both ends solid. The back and forth motion happens but it's easy to swing in that direction based on it wrapped around the pen. But I also got side to side which is much more difficult to produce when gravity is pulling it straight down and my arms aren't swaying side to side. Also the counter-circle happened quite quickly. It really is perplexing to me
edit on 25-6-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
T.C. Lethbridge wrote extensively about pendulum phenomena and dowsing in the mid-early 20th century and had some truly strange results that have been filed under "crank claims" but I'm not 100% sure about that conclusion due to some light verification some time ago.

It's worth a look... the book was called "The Power of the Pendulum" if memory is working today.

Some of his claims were that the age and chemical composition of different objects had their own "swing" ... and then it went deep into left field where it seemed intention and emotion could be charted with repeatable accuracy...as well as other realms of being in a spiral up and off to the left, heh.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Unconscious micromuscular movements.

I fiddled with it when I was a kid. Think "circle circle circle" and the bob starts moving in a circle. Think "straight straight straight" and the bob starts swinging back and forth.
edit on 6/25/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Unconscious micromuscular movements.

I fiddled with it when I was a kid. Think "circle circle circle" and the starts moving in a circle. Think "straight straight straight" and the bob starts swinging back and forth.

Hey Phage, thanks for dropping by.

Sure, I think round round round and it will swing around a drawn circle on paper. Not a little circle either, at least 8 inches. But it still doesn't explain micromuscular action, just suggests it. What I would like to know is, how can it be proven? I think some kind of test with an accelerometer is needed. Or perhaps it's magnetic? What part of the brain is shooting out magnetic or electrical impulses, and why? Can this be ruled out?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Can this be ruled out?

Use a piece of wood for the bob.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

haha, low budget science. I like it. I was leaning towards cameras with motion sensors hooked up to a seismograph

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Your unconscious mind micro-manages the ideomotor effect, and it also manages your psychic ability. It combines the two through the pendulum. That makes the pendulum a tool of divination, one of many. Simple as that.

edit on 030WednesdayuAmerica/ChicagoJunuWednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

When I was a child, my mother and grandmother would predict the sex of an unborn child by tying the woman's wedding ring on a thread and letting it swing over her belly. It would swing in a circle if the fetus was a girl, back and forth if it was a boy.

I saw confirmation of one test and they were correct. They said it had never failed for them.

I think its the Japanese that use this method to sex eggs for the hatchery, apparently it works on an industrial scale. It would be pointless hatching non egg laying chicks as it would waste 50%. www.mindpowercourse.com...
edit on 25-6-2014 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I think its the Japanese that use this method to sex eggs for the hatchery, apparently it works on an industrial scale.

No. They don't. They sex chicks, not eggs. In fact, it was Japanese researchers who developed the method of doing so.
www.reuters.com...

edit on 6/25/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

I like that answer. It satisfies both of my 'sides'. But there is one other oddity about it. It won't work if you close your eyes. But this opens up another interesting theory of mine for another thread...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: anonentity

I think its the Japanese that use this method to sex eggs for the hatchery, apparently it works on an industrial scale.

No. They don't. They sex chicks, not eggs. In fact, it was Japanese researchers who developed the method of doing so.
www.reuters.com...

I love your mind phage!! thanks for the correction it was a quickie on my part.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure how it works, but it does. A lead fishing sinker on a string is what I used.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join