It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today marks the 138th anniversary of the Battle of Little Big Horn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Today is a very important day for we Native American's.
it marks a day when some 6 to 10 thousand people had come together to make their stand against a brutal man and a relentless government intent on wiping out the red man.

From Indian Country

This Date in Native History: Representatives from many Native nations of the Plains will come together today for the 138th anniversary of the Battle of Little Big Horn, where a re-dedication ceremony of the newly completed Indian Memorial will take place. Doug Bissonette, the Pine Ridge spokesman for the family of Crazy Horse, said the Big Horn Riders will arrive from Pine Ridge in two groups of 20, “as they do each year in memory of the battle.” Northern Cheyenne youth, whose ancestors fought at Little Big Horn, will also participate with a run to honor them.

This is a peaceful ceremony with prayers for peace and harmony, better understand between all people.

yet for a more factual account of what really happened there that day some 138 years ago, you might want to go check out this website
Little Bog Horn Survivors

edit on 25-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18074064]HardCorps[

This is a peaceful ceremony with prayers for peace and harmony, better understand between all people.

This makes no sense what so ever as it is a celebration of The Little Big Horn Massacre.

What if the 7th Cavalry Foundation got together every year to celebrate "Wounded Knee Day" and then used a press release that it was a "ceremony for peace and harmony to promote better understanding between all people".

I am happy for them that they celebrate their one victory don't get me wrong, every people should have something to be proud of. Just don't celebrate killing American soldiers and claim it is a celebration of peace and harmony. It is a celebration of a war victory and a slaughter.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I remember when Hollywood made movies honoring Custer for his murderous rampage. This is a celebration of a day in which the Indians defended themselves because Custer made the very bad mistake of not realizing how big the village was that he and his men were entering to commit genocide. Whoops.
edit on 25-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Interesting that I open this up right after reading that the Feds want some more of the badlands for a land grab National Park. Synchronicity at its finest.

When Black Elk, Crazy Horse's cousin passed away, he was sad that he was never able to see the Lakota people come back into their own, pre American government. One wonders if this may be a beginning.

The Lakota are a strong people who have tried with all they have to persevere. It is a reminder that a strong few can make a difference. These warriors were fed up and did what they felt they needed to do to prevent their future generations from being subjugated and their lives torn from them. They did not want to see their children and grandchildren torn from the earth and put into a box. It ended up happening anyway. The children were beaten for speaking their own language. My own grandma was one of them. The Feds won in the fact that another nation was decimated and were put at the mercy of Custer types.

No war or death is good, but this battle was truly for their future, and not for some obscure monetary gain half way across the planet. They are right to be proud that these men fought for them!

edit on 25-6-2014 by woodsmom because: Typo

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
You must remember who was here FIRST!

As always, the winner is a war hero and the loser is a war criminal.....

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the Little Big Horn Survivors link. Very interesting reading and historic photos that I will save. I often think if I would have preferred to live back in those days. Not for the conflicts, but just for the way that the land was open, unspoiled, and not crowded.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I used to celebrate the 4th

As I said I support the celebration, I am not sure where confusion on that came from.

If we billed the 4th of July celebration as "a coming together of British and American idealism" it would be moronic would it not?

Calling the celebration of a massacre a "ceremony for peace and harmony and better understanding between all men" was my sticking point.

Celebrate a war victory as a war victory. Be proud that your ancestors put it on the line to defend hearth and home against invaders.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Synchronicity indeed. More of a remembrance than a celebration.

I can't stand the sickening sweet spin some people can give such profound historical events. Promoting peace and harmony at the same time they are fending of Federally sanctioned corporate greed. Give me break.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
You must remember who was here FIRST!

As always, the winner is a war hero and the loser is a war criminal.....

My great grandmother was on the trail of tears. But my grandmother took our heritage and information to her grave. It is the saddest thing in my life. That two groups of people could be so cruel to make this wonderful woman forget who she was.

She was so abused, raped, beaten, slurred, by both native Americans and Americans that she refused to talk much about it and buried it deep inside herself.

I remember once as a boy staying with her, playing connasta, she pulled out a very old worn and fading photos. I remember thinking it looked like ones I had only seen in museum. It was a faded picture of her mother in her finest native clothing taken somewhere along the trail.

I had never been so excited in my life but as I started to excitedly blurt out a thousand questions at her she completely changed and yelled at me she did not want to talk about it. She never discussed it again and I learned of the terrible abuse from relatives.

It breaks my heart even today that I have no knowledge of distant relatives, who they are, or anything about my heritage. The total abuse of native Americans continues even today. For example if there were a team named the blackskins America would be up in arms but it is totally acceptable to have a team named redskins. What a joke.

Other minorities don't have anything to complain about in comparison to native Americans. They had everything stolen from them and still are not truly free even today. Their land stolen and then stuck on god forsaken pieces of land that the White man did not want. Later they would find gold or oil on it and steal it from them again lol.

They had whole cultures that were rendered extinct but no one talks about that. There is not even an accurate count at the actual numbers of native Americans who were killed in this country by the white man. And you want to complain because they celebrate one victory. Give me a break man...

They have the highest of everything bad they keep statistics about. Drug and alcohol abuse and deaths, mortality rate, rate of poverty, on and on. But you don't see them complaining all over the place. Way to proud and honorable for that.

I say celebrate any damn thing you want to my brothers.....

The Bot

top topics

join