It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court bans warrantless cell phone searches, updates privacy laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
washingtontimes.com...

The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police cannot go snooping through people’s cell phones without a warrant, in a unanimous decision that amounts to a major statement in favor of privacy rights.

This is great news. Cell phones used to be considered the same as an open box or bag when in your car or simply just being on your person giving the police free reign to search it. They even have high tech devices to crack your password & download everything from your phone.

It's nice to see the people finally win some ground to getting their privacy back.

Wanna search our cell phones?

Get a warrant.

Now if only the NSA can be held to the same standards...

edit on 25-6-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I just hope it's not too little, too late, in people trying to take back their Constitutional rights.

I don't know if you are noticing, in the past about 3 months. More and more court rulings are in favor of We the People, and less towards the over reaching Big Brother running our Country.

Obama is falling faster than a lead weight in a pond, in his poll numbers, and the time frame appears to me, to coincide with turn around rulings of laws, that should have never been implemented in the first place.

I wonder if the DOJ under homeland security, is going to claim some kind of loophole in this ruling. As if, the NSA doesn't already have all our phones covered.

Des S&F...great news!

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
I wonder if the DOJ under homeland security, is going to claim some kind of loophole in this ruling. As if, the NSA doesn't already have all our phones covered.

Des S&F...great news!

Of course they will. Two words, "national security." Done.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yet just a few weeks ago, they ruled that warrantless searches of cars by Pennsylvania cops is just fine.

They are throwing us a bone here.... and there is no meat on it.
They have all the info from our wireless devices anyway... courtesy of the telecom companies, the software giants and the NSA.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
washingtontimes.com...

The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police cannot go snooping through people’s cell phones without a warrant, in a unanimous decision that amounts to a major statement in favor of privacy rights.

This is great news. Cell phones used to be considered the same as an open box or bag when in your car or simply just being on your person giving the police free reign to search it. They even have high tech devices to crack your password & download everything from your phone.

It's nice to see the people finally win some ground to getting their privacy back.

Wanna search our cell phones?

Get a warrant.

Now if only the NSA can be held to the same standards...

Great news? Sorry but the law also says you may not be attacked or killed by the police either (assuming you are not armed or fighting them), yet they do it on a daily/weekly basis and get away with it. A judge can rule whatever they want but will always take an officers side.
Firepiston

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I was just about to post on this. This is great news.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well considering the fact that They are employing techniques that are for the most part unavailable to the average person, and that we have no idea that this THEFT (and I do emphasize loudly) is even occurring....Oh and that these incursions into our privacy are so very important to the corporations that have enslaved all humanity. Yeah I can't really see any change on the landscape. If you are blindfolded I can tell you the walls to your cell are any damn color I like.

But I guess I gotta pretend to be happy about this like a good sheep.
edit on 25-6-2014 by ThoughtIsMadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Here is the thing to keep an eye on!

STINGRAY!!!

Police in Florida have, at the request of the U.S. Marshals Service, been deliberately deceiving judges and defendants about their use of a controversial surveillance tool to track suspects, according to newly obtained emails.

At the request of the Marshals Service, the officers using so-called stingrays have been routinely telling judges, in applications for warrants, that they obtained knowledge of a suspect’s location from a “confidential source” rather than disclosing that the information was gleaned using a stingray.

Then this...

The release of the emails showing interference by a state attorney and the U.S. Marshals Service comes two weeks after agents from the Marshals Service took the extraordinary measure of seizing other public documents related to stingrays from the Sarasota Police Department in order to prevent the ACLU from examining them.

The documents, which were responsive to a FOIA request seeking information about Sarasota’s use of the devices, had been set aside for ACLU attorneys to examine in person. But hours before they arrived for the appointment to view the documents, someone from the Marshals Service swooped in to seize the documents and cart them to another location.

Emails Show Feds Asking Florida Cops to Deceive Judges

I am not getting my hopes up, that's for sure! I don't even own a cell phone.....

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Wow, just saw your thread. Great news, in terms of human rights and privacy. I wonder how the government will get around it. Looking at my cell phone records would be something like watching paint drying.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

If you use social media or anything from the big boys you have to give up your privacy

Facebook has a ridiculously complicated policy that boils down to "we plan on doing whatever we want with your information"

A year ago I was on the phone talking about a movie from the 80s with a friend... A day later I saw ads for that movie . Was like wtf? I'm 100 percent sure my phone provider is mining my voice calls and selling metadata to marketers

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Davood

I'm 100 percent sure my phone provider is mining my voice calls and selling metadata to marketers

I am sure that most people, if they paid attention, would notice this too.

new topics

top topics

join