It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Threatening ‘Third Wounded Knee’ with Eminent Domain Land Grab on Sioux Indian Reservation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
and they are STILL taking the Indians land!
I hope they fight to...

how would that look in the news?
the bad white men are Still killing Indians.
to STEAL their land. again!!!

Good point, I believe the majority of Americans would want to protect the Native Americans at this point in history.

I would hope so anyway.

I'm still waiting for the first Native American president, I hope I live to see that day.
edit on 103030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

But you (and the original article you posted) imply that this is a situation where the federal government has in no uncertain terms, told the Oglala Sioux tribe that they (the feds) are taking over the land no matter what the tribe thinks. That is just a lie. The leaders of the tribe (like the leaders of any country) are working in full cooperation with the U.S. government here. Much like any other country, the "people" of the tribe don't agree with what their leaders are doing.

Let's say the U.S. govt invited another country (say, China) to help them get American land set up for some purpose our govt leaders deemed beneficial. Let's say we, the people of the U.S. don't like it. Who are we going to get more riled up at - China, or our own government leaders? We may not be real happy with China for agreeing to help, but we know our real problem is not with China. The real problem is with our own leaders for setting the whole thing up.

In this particular situation, the tribal members' real problem is not with the federal government -- it's with their own tribal leaders.

Come back to me when you can prove that the tribal council is in complete agreement that the park shouldn't happen, and the feds are forcing it to happen anyway. Then and only then will I agree that the federal government is the bad guy here.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Amazing the Native Americans have gone through enough pain and suffering.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

After reading this thread yesterday, and knowing I was not totally informed on the issue I decided to call a friend who has struggled to improve Pine Ridge since we graduated. He is a descendant of Black Elk and has great pride in his heritage he has worked to keep the language and traditions alive. Anyway he basically said the same thing you just did there, but also said unfortunately many Ogalala are misinformed on the topic as well, mainly those not on the Reservation. He claims that the land would still belong to the tribe but it would be managed by the FG. Many Ogalala disagree with that last aspect, while apparently the tribal council sees a benefit to the agreement. Now what we didn't discuss is if there was compensation for allowing the expansion. I would like to see the legislation to get a better grasp being so close the the area. I can see both sides of this debate, but I also do not think the FG should'nt own land. South Dakota should own its land and be allowed to manage it, the Black Hills National Forest belongs to the tribe and it was take years ago, hell even the Crow lay claim to portions of the Black Hills.
edit on 26-6-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

But you (and the original article you posted) imply that this is a situation where the federal government has in no uncertain terms,

Immediately after the blurb from the article in the OP, I posted this....

If they do this, and they get another 'Wounded Knee',

Notice the 'if'. I didn't imply that there were no uncertain terms. You may have inferred it, but that's on you.

Still sticking with your story that the Federal government is not involved in this?

This particular battle has nothing to do with the Federal Government.

What of the actual Native Americans that are affected by this? You know, the ones that are saying that this IS a federal land grab? Are you saying that they are too stupid to know what they are experiencing there? Or are you calling them liars?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Let's say the U.S. govt invited another country (say, China) to help them get American land set up for some purpose our govt leaders deemed beneficial.

Let's say?
It has already happened, and it is China.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

What of the actual Native Americans that are affected by this? You know, the ones that are saying that this IS a federal land grab? Are you saying that they are too stupid to know what they are experiencing there? Or are you calling them liars?

Well, they are probably not so much different than us. One person starts talking smack about how the federal government must be bad guys here, then others start to chime in about how the federal government is ALWAYS the bad guy, so they MUST be the bad guys here too, and so on, until you get a whole group that is all riled up ready to go start something with the feds. All over some missinformation along with a predisposition to hating the feds.

Our government has definitely been guilty of wrong-doing. Our leaders are not saints - none of them are. But this particular situation is not a case of the big bad government taking matters into their own hands against a whole tribe. We need to let the tribal members work this out with their own leaders. We DON'T need to start gathering the militias up to fight our own government over this. It's the wrong battle.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

But this particular situation is not a case of the big bad government taking matters into their own hands against a whole tribe.
Apparently that would be you saying that the Natives are stupid?
So, the Federal government is not involved here at all?
Is that your stand?

edit on bu302014-06-26T11:18:29-05:0011America/ChicagoThu, 26 Jun 2014 11:18:29 -050011u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

But this particular situation is not a case of the big bad government taking matters into their own hands against a whole tribe.
Apparently that would be you saying that the Natives are stupid?

Nope.

So, the Federal government is not involved here at all?
Is that your stand?

Nope - didn't say the federal government wasn't involved at all. My stand is that the tribal members' battle doesn't have anything to do with the federal government - it has to do with their own tribal council.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Come back to me when you can prove that the tribal council is in complete agreement that the park shouldn't happen, and the feds are forcing it to happen anyway. Then and only then will I agree that the federal government is the bad guy here.

Sounds like:
Come talk to me when you find a body.....

If this is in fact a "Within Issue" then that is how it should be handled.
If not....

Then this is not a good thing and will cause many to rise up I feel.
I will, we were here first and enough is enough.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Well you can bet the mass media will NOT be covering this

Unbelievable being Native American this is just yet anther example of how the US Government has stuck the knife in the backs of the one true American people

Fu*king GREEDY BASTARDS
edit on 26-6-2014 by tow69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Your right. I'll amend that to express my venom at them all. I have no love for either side.

Taking anyones land is one of my hot buttons.

Please don't mistake me for a person who likes either Party.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Your title is basically a lie and this should end up in the hoax bin because of it.

There is absolutely NO eminent domain here...your source is horribly wrong and appears to just be inciting ignorant uproar.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Have you actually read anything they said? They said the federal government has nothing to do with this issue of the tribal council handing off control. That is an inter tribal issue. They went to the feds, not the other way around. You should be upset with the Native American tribal council...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

You should be upset with the Native American tribal council...

Plenty of the residents of the reservation are upset with their council.

Your title is basically a lie and this should end up in the hoax bin because of it.

My title is the title of the source article. The story itself is no hoax.

Have you actually read anything they said? They said the federal government has nothing to do with this issue of the tribal council handing off control.

I never said that the article in the OP was the end of the story, that it had all the facts or that it wasn't tilted against the feds.
Now you can read a bit......

In 1968, Congress conveyed the South Unit back to the Oglala Sioux Tribe, with the stipulation that it be held in trust and managed by the National Park Service. In 2012, the tribe and National Park Service issued a plan recommending that Congress designate the tract as a Tribal National Park. The new designation would enable the tribe to conduct preferential hiring of tribal members and to reintroduce bison to the South Unit.

Before 1968, the the US government used the area as a bombing range. Since then, it has been administered by the US government. Some landowners are losing their land and the US government is still intimately involved, as they will still administer the land and will continue to do so after the latest change takes place.
Native Americans have not had control of the area since December 29th, 1890.
That would be when 150-300 men women and children, most of them unarmed were massacred by US soldiers.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join