It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large majority of car manufacturing now in right-to-work states

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Some great contributions to the thread. Thanks bbracken677 for the links to flesh this out a bit. It does seem that union experiences are different across various industries and regions. It seems the union heads and corruption are reoccurring themes that we hear about some of the bad ones.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
There are so many misconceptions about the unions in this thread it's not even funny. I live in Michigan I've worked for union companies and have many friends and family that have also. My grandmother retired from at Holley Carburetor. My grandfather retired from Crystler as did my other grandmother. My step father works at Ford Mo Co. I have friends that work at Ford.

All unions do is give employess the right to be treated fairly and safe in the work place. Unions are made up of the workers that work for the company. It's called organized labor. The workers join together and negotiate a contract with company. They hire lawyers to help with negotiating. Unions make the company open their books so that they can see the profits. They base wages and benefits on what the company makes. It's as simple as that.

In the 1950's half of the country was unionized today it's less then 7%. They've long destroyed the unions in this country. I've watched everything my grandparents fought and worked for be systematically destroyed. This is part of the reason for the gap between the rich and poor.

Enjoy your lower wages and lower standard of living. Soon the only people left that will believe in the American dream will be foreigners.
edit on 27-6-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Unions can rise as a power for the little guys again, all you have to do is call it something different.

Seems to be the way of things in this world, everyone just seems to want to disagree on the definitions of things.

OK fine, redefine....

I worked union jobs in the past when I was too young to appreciate the advantages of collective bargaining and wish I learned to understand what it meant 30 years ago.

It's really too bad that people die and their memories die with them, then we wouldn't have to go round and round in circles and repeat the same mistakes over and over again like humans have been doing forever.

a reply to: wantsome

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

All unions do is give employess the right to be treated fairly and safe in the work place. Unions are made up of the workers that work for the company. It's called organized labor. The workers join together and negotiate a contract with company. They hire lawyers to help with negotiating. Unions make the company open their books so that they can see the profits. They base wages and benefits on what the company makes. It's as simple as that.

This is a load of crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join