It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!- 1981 Columbia River UFO Incident: Audio Recording

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I have never heard about this incident and it is complete with an audio recording, oh my!

I was listening to the 6-23-14 Ground Zero on Soundcloud regarding the large oval anomaly off the CA coast near Mt. Dume, and during the broadcast he played the audio of the 1981 event that occurred near Mt. St Helens at the Columbia River. I was intrigued and did a little bit of digging.

4:03 a.m., March 17th, 1981. Saint Helens, Oregon. Sergeant Russell Yokum of the Oregon Police Department was driving down Highway 30, situated west of the Columbia River, when a bright light caught his attention. The light was hovering high above the icy waters and traveling upriver towards the Portland Airport, roughly 20 miles away.

The sighting was so intriguing, that the police officer began recording the sound the UFO emitted onto a tape recorder. He situated the tape recorder next to his radio, and you can hear the discussion between him and another witness at a different vantage point. There were actually several eye-witnesses.

Other law enforcement officers, Ricky Cade and Tom McCartney of the
Oregon State Police, and a few citizens, met Yokum at the county
courthouse. By this time, Yokum was in radio contact with Donald Askins,
who bore the CB handle "Lucky 13." Askins, who was located in a house
across the river in Washington state in Ridgefield, southeast of Saint
Helens, had picked up the police radio traffic. He said that he, too,
had seen the light, and was seeing it now. The light was stationary over
the river turning the whole area into daylight.

"I think it's moving out, you guys?"

"Well, we're watching. We've moved to a higher vantage point. So you
tell us what it does."

"Well, listen."

Sound of the UFO begins on tape now!

"It sounds like it's revving up its engines."

"Can you hear it?"

"I hope. Because it sure is cold out here."

"I hope you're taping this, you guys."

"Yes, we are."

The first link is a link to the audio. The second and third links are 2 different articles written on the subject. I'm anxious to get finished with work so I can research this more! I can't believe I've never heard of this incident! Not many incidents are complete with an audio recording.

audio recording

Article with conversation transcribed

A really old source

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Interesting,
The sound is much like something highly compressed escaping, like steam or air, I don't catch the diesel sound though.
The Askins guy couldn't be found, and he was the one who said the light flooded the area, while the police said the light was orangery-yellow. The diesel sound kind of hints at a fishing vessel, if it is a fishing area that is. It does seem to have been an odd event for the locals though.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Sounds like the "strange sounds in the sky" everyone has been reporting all over the world lately.

(The "jet" sounding ones)

!!!

edit on 24-6-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Thanks for posting! This kind of material is some of the most fascinating.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Nice find. Shame the tape is so degraded. It's really difficult to make out what is going on. It's also a shame that the talking cuts off the sound itself so much.

I may have an interesting UFO sounds related anecdote. I saw a black cylindrical UFO in 2013. I saw it while smoking a cigarette on my balcony. Roughly two weeks before the event I woke up at around 3 in the morning to a strange glassy howling sound. I asked my girlfriend if she could hear it. She was suprised because she thought she had tinnitus and the sound had apparently been going on for a while. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I thought it was maybe the neighbour upstairs.

Then it turns into this very strange, almost melodic metallic screeching noise. I was really confused by now because it sounded like it was coming from the sky. My girlfriend and I try to look for a nearby source of the noise. My GF spots that there is a man on a balcony in the apartement building facing us. She says that "there's a man on a balcony and he's looking at the sky as if he's looking for something".

I don't know if my UFO sighting is really connected to the weird noise but it feels strange that I experience two anomalous events in such a short span of time. There may have been a third event between those two but it was more vague light in the sky type of a thing.

What's really fascinating though is that when I was reading about the sky sounds I ran into some speculation that it could be related to electromagnetism somehow. There was this video of some absurdly powerful electromagnet getting powered up and it sounded like 95% identical to the metallic screeching I heard. Every now and then people report apparent EM effects in conjunction with UFO sightings...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

What I love about this sighting is that it cannot be said to be a lantern or flare because of the sound. And that there are two very credible witnesses.
It sounds like a beem ship aka B Mieres by the way.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I don't really know what this sounds like. Doesn't sound like a conventional engine or anything the like to me.
The closest I can come up with it's that it sounds like something you hear scanning through the short wave or AM radio band.

Just guessing: Some secret gvt test (plasma engine or something)...respective genuine "UFO". The sound makes it more convincing and eery than some blurry photo or video.
edit on 6/26/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Couldn't play the recording but read the transcript. What interests me is the date of that sighting was less than a less than a year after Mt.St.Helens erupted. Coincidence?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

I've never heard of a B Mieres beam ship. Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting!

Thanks everyone!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yes , here is a link to the sound file .
www.futureofmankind.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

You're correct. The Mieres recording sounds like the recording at St. Helens.

Thanks for finding that. I'm intrigued.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The directory where that audio clip is located has quite a few other interesting law enforcement/UFO related audio files as well... ia801000.us.archive.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There's some great audio recordings on there.
Looking at the xml file seems it was out issacKoi who uploaded them.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mrscary3721
The directory where that audio clip is located has quite a few other interesting law enforcement/UFO related audio files as well... ia801000.us.archive.org...

That's a great link right there - thanks for posting.

Vid:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

ThQ, raeder - nice stuff here with the audio from Oregon . . . you've also sent me off to learn more about Dume in Malibu-

I like relating this to the eruption at Mt Saint Helens. In general, the incredible physical features of the Gorge, to me, lend plenty to the idea of unexplained phenom there. Seems this is the case with many such stunning geographical locales-

Cheers,
Nexo
edit on 19-5-2017 by nexotop because: got me thinkin'

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Thanks for the video, Karl-

Queensland reporting on the Columbia Gorge, love it!

Cheers,
Nexo

top topics

join