Crowdfunding campaign raises 2.2 million to build Solar Roadways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There was a lot of talk in recent months about Solar Roadways here on ATS so I'm posting this information as a follow-up to the several other threads on this topic. In an article on Yahoo News, we learn that the highly controversial "Solar Roadways" concept has gotten a boost from its campaign on Indiegogo.

Solar Roadways' crowdfunding campaign, which closed on Monday, raised $2.2 million — more than double what Brusaw was seeking — in just two months. The campaign, the most popular in Indiegogo's history, attracted more than 48,000 backers from all 50 states and 165 countries.

Created by Scott Brusaw, an Electrical Engineer from Idaho, in response to his desire to do something to curb pollution, the Solar Roadway is gaining momentum as it now has the backing of the Federal Highway Administration, George Takei, Sean Lennon, and interest from Amtrak and the Sandpoint, Idaho airport which is where he lives.

According to his calculations, the "smart" solar panels — encased in double-layered, bomb-resistant, bulletproof glass capable of withstanding 250,000 pounds — would, among other things, be able to generate "three times the electricity that we currently use in the United States," prevent accidents by melting snow and ice (and warning drivers of debris in the road with solar-powered LED lights) and even collect storm water. Oh, and cut greenhouse emissions by as much as 75 percent.

I think this is an idea whose time has come.....What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

saw this the other day, it is so promising it should be enacted immediately for jobs, energy, the climate and about any other reason that can be dreamt up, it would be ideal if counties and townships teamed up, because it most likely gonna be fought tooth and nail by companies like exxon, but I say too damn bad if the energy companies don't like it. This technology makes them obsolete and an unnecessary anachronism. They had their chance and they chose the wrong path. They tried to make us hopelessly dependent on them much like a drug dealer does rather than using their resources to set us free.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
No.
Don't give this thick couple any money. This solar roadways thing is a unworkable mess. They have not even thought this thing through properly. Take a look at this video.

Then have a good think if it's honestly a workable solution. Also, there is another thread 7 pages long on ats, but it kind of died once people thought about it... (my fault possibly) Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but only in limited use and as a car-port kind of cover OVER roads. That way, constant light (not blocked by cars/trucks/angle of the sun), less possibility of damage, less light pollution, safer road underneath that no longer is at the mercy of weather. etc etc etc.

Solar Roadways ATS
edit on 24-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think that this is a grand scheme indeed, and if it can be made to work, then it will be one of the greatest triumphs, and the biggest change to the automotive landscape since the first mile of tarmac was laid.

The biggest challenge that this new road surface will face, will be dealing with different weather and temperature circumstances, and I will be very interested to see how things progress with regard to that factor. Along side that, there is the question of how well this material will handle the sort of damage that current road surfaces have to deal with, like road traffic accidents. Some of these have been known to leave deep gouges ground into the road surface, and finding out how well this new surface will stand up to that sort of damage, is going to be crucial to understanding how useful it will be.

The smart aspects of the proposed scheme, are of course, very interesting, and I cannot wait to see how well it turns out!

If I may, I would like to request that if any members find themselves within road trip distance of a road made using these techniques, then it would be great to see some feedback from a member who has actually used one of these new fangled roads!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I agree that these things are completely impractical for use as roads. However, I think there could be other applications for something like this in place of pavers for example (walkways, patios, bike paths, etc). It really depends on how low they can get the per unit costs.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If you can get the surface to be the right friction and behave safely over long time then I think it is a good idea when it has been tested how nature will react to it. The opposing video seems a bit obnoxious from my point of view and with the right kind of energy storage technology the no ice/snow on the road is possible. With other technology complementing it this could be a very good idea.
edit on 24-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I live in the Sandpoint area... I'll give everyone firsthand updates when they try this out here. I'm guessing they may break a bit quicker than anticipated... especially the first logging truck with tire chains that hits it... we'll see.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Length of road to be funded by the $2.2 million?

About 9 feet.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I think surface abrasion and dirt are the dealbreakers here. You can make it as strong as you want, but drive hundreds of thousands of cars over it with rocks and crap in their tread and you will have an what looks like opaque ice. There is no glass available anywhere that can prevent abrasion and surface cracking. The etched surface then allows dust, oil and debris to collect. One year out and you would have opaque surfaces with probably 30% of the initial power output.

I am a big proponent of alternative energy sources, but solar belongs on roofs and unusable tracts of land, not as a walking or driving surface. This is just a bad idea with good intentions. It isn't about weight or strength, you just can't drive on glass and have it stay clear. Clear is required.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Maybe expressway shoulders and medians but the road itself common sense says no. Traffic blocks the sun the areas where you need power there's lots of traffic.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

It's too good for humanity someone will stop it.

A federal regulator with corporate backing from gm and the rest of the oil industry.

we're running out of oil oh no!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ok first off this is not new technology. Australia was promoting this in the 1990s. Here is a great article on the subject but moreso the comments are even better as to why it's a terrible idea.
www.drroyspencer.com... ... -bad-idea/

And who, exactly, is going to pay for this “whole new industry”? Even with massive economies of scale, the cost for this kind of a project would be almost unbelievably immense. Current estimates are $56 TRILLION. Even if you found a way to cut costs by half — and that’s a huge if — you’re still talking nearly $30 TRILLION. The US does not HAVE $30 trillion to spend on something like this. If we printed $30 trillion or issued $30 trillion in bonds, you’d see inflation go up in a way that would make the Carter years look like a picnic, wiping out your savings and destroying your buying and earning power. If we tried to raise $30 trillion in taxes it would bankrupt every taxypayer in the country for generations and STILL not be enough.

Look, it’s a neat idea, and their hearts are in the right place, but this is just not practical. If you want to throw $56 trillion at something in the hopes of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, spend it on fusion research. That has a much better chance of actually becoming practical than spending it on expensive, damage-prone, poorly-positioned, hard-to-keep-clean solar roadways.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

Great link
It feels horrible to go against such a 'green' idea, but it's just so far from practical in the real world.

Sidewalks as someone above suggested is kind of an ok idea except:
The limited power is really only going to be useful in a local environment, for lighting really because transmission losses make it non-viable realistically. So, if it's only good for lighting, why not just put the solar panel in the light above the sidewalk where it wont get covered in feet, gum, trash etc (which we already have). Also, a sidewalk is flat, and a solar panel is nowhere near it's most efficient when horizontal. So the huge expense just isn't worth it.

I do agree that the video I posted has a very condescending tone, probably gets peoples back up especially if they funded 'solar roadways'. No one likes to feel like a dill. But his concerns really need to be taken seriously before people give away their cash to an idea with no hope of success.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Wow, I knew this technology was going places, just didn't expect it to happen so fast. I think this is great news and even though I don't have a great deal of money, I'd love to invest what little I do have in this technology.

F&S for the OP!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I live in the Sandpoint area... I'll give everyone firsthand updates when they try this out here. I'm guessing they may break a bit quicker than anticipated... especially the first logging truck with tire chains that hits it... we'll see.

Definitely. Keep us updated.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

*sigh* You have to inform yourself before you waste your money on this. There are so many outrageous claims that this couple should not be taken seriously. You will be using your limited money to be paying for their retirement. If your ok with that go ahead I guess.

I give in.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Sounds good to me. Please keep us posted.

And enjoy some

wonderful JERKY for me, from that great place just South of the Bridge on the highway going toward Spokane. Forget the name.

Ahhh . . . THE SMOKE HOUSE . . . I think.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm not so sure how this would work on roads, but I can see walkways, sideways, and home driveway's using this technology to help provide energy to buildings and homes around it. Maybe even help charge electric vehicles?

I like the idea of solar roadways, but there seems to be so much we have to do to actually implement the idea. I give kudos to the couple for thinking outside the box though. Even if it fails, it might lead way to another idea sometime down the road.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Sounds good to me. Please keep us posted.

And enjoy some

wonderful JERKY for me, from that great place just South of the Bridge on the highway going toward Spokane. Forget the name.

Ahhh . . . THE SMOKE HOUSE . . . I think.

That place closed some time ago, alas... so sad... I heard rumors that it was to be reopened under new management, but that was before Coldwater Creek closed it's doors. I'd love to see it reopen...

I also wonder...

If it fails to melt the snow in a huge storm (as we are prone to have), will the road scrapers pull the whole thing up? Much remains to be seen...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Sorry to read that THE SMOKEHOUSE closed. I guess the founder died?

Best jerky around and of a huge variety of meats.

I still think the electronic roadway has a lot going for it. I hope they put as much of it in, in Sand Point as possible. A great place to try it out, imho.

If they could get 5-10 miles of it in place and dink with perfecting it, THEN there would be some data.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join