It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I just had a thought. There must be people out there paid to hang on every word of political opponents to grasp any straw to slam them. You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

Why would they pay for something like that when Internet forum posters do it for free?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Quite honestly, I had no clue that was a racial slur. But the way things are going, it won't be long until every word in the English language is a racial slur...

As for Michelle Obama, her and her husband have more than enough f*** up's to be accountable for.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I think this country has become 'politically correct' obsessed.

That's an everyday expression, and I doubt 99.9% of
anybody even knows it was (a 100 years ago or more)
a "racial" slur?

Besides, hardly anyone knows that Gypsies were
connected to a specific ethnic or national group.

I didn't know that. I thought Gypsies were a general
term to refer to Nomadic Mystics.

Rebel 5

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hey Beez it was me who was offended but being Canadian, i sort of poked fun at your comment, regular bacon or nothing by the way, and how could you miss my comment especially on my birthday, eh!!!
On your post, I am sure someone will be offended by her remark and the gypsies will be up in arms soon enough and rallying the wagons...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv

Have you ever asked "why"? We're looking at this tripe while REAL issues are........... oh look, a squirrel.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21
Hey Beez it was me who was offended but being Canadian, i sort of poked fun at your comment, regular bacon or nothing by the way, and how could you miss my comment especially on my birthday, eh!!!
On your post, I am sure someone will be offended by her remark and the gypsies will be up in arms soon enough and rallying the wagons...

Are there even Gypsies still around anymore?
Are their people that refer to themselves as
Gypsies or is that politically incorrect as well;
rhetorical question.

Rebel 5

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Have you ever asked "why"? We're looking at this tripe while REAL issues are........... oh look, a squirrel.

In that context I'm quite certain you have just offended squirrels.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Humble apologies.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rebelv
Yes there are in Spain.
Spain's Gypsies

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

originally posted by: intrepid

In that context I'm quite certain you have just offended squirrels.

No prob. I'm Canadian. I have a trained beaver:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

a reply to: rebelv
Yes there are in Spain.
Spain's Gypsies

Also modern gypsies here...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I had a wife that had one of those trained beaver.
It was not well behaves though.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

*Sigh* First of all the word gyp or gypped is in the dictionary. It has as much to do with gypsy people as niggardly does with black people. Secondly, even if this word was a derogatory slang related to gypsies, Americans probably wouldn't know. We don't have large gypsy populations or a history of discriminating against them. We don't have that in our cultural context. So the word wouldn't carry the weight it does in Europe.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: acmpnsfal

Last time I checked, there were many words in the dictionary. Perhaps all of them.

So I'll ask you, is there a scale to offensive words?

Is there like a point system?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Been tracking this thread. Amazing cross sections of posts.

Most are like "huh? I didn't know that". Yet there are a few who seem true-blue Kool Aid drinkers of the PC Church.

That about fits with what I run into in real life. The large majority of folks do not want any part of needlessly offending anybody. Treat people as you want to be treated and leave it at that. Yet there is that small percentage who actively seek an opportunity to be offended, revel in pointing out to others their offensiveness, or bathe in the self righteousness of pointing out who should "know better".

I don't mean to derail the thread but it seems like a pretty germane facet of the discussion IMHO.

The big question: how does this tiny, carcinogenic minority inflict such needless paralysis on language and social interaction of well meaning people?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

G,day mate. your a good fisherman bloke.
So, i will throw in a line
the word gypped/gipped is widely used down here and has been since world war 1
the A.I.F. Australian Imperial Force. returned with the word from the middle east
When these soldiers in Egypt felt they were being short changed or over charged for goods and or services they would say the gyppo's (Egyptians) either ripped them off or that they had been jipped. the bloody gyppo gypped/gipped me.
i can say stuff a duck. now i have now upset vegans .
vegan = poor hunter. upset them again
who gives a fig newton. now i have upset the tree huggers and the wench's ancestor
if i remind everyone that newton was as camp as a row of tents. i have now upset tent dwellers and campers
mate i'm on a roll
so who really gives a fat rats a--e. bugga now i have upset rat lovers
and down here you flip the steaks on the BBQ and if you are shocked or gob smacked by an event you can say flip instead of the other four letter word
they should have FLIPPED the wanker overboard .
if the bloke complaining had tried that on down here he would have been either howled out, abused then thrown out and/or snotted.
now i have upset the dont swear dont fight dont offend mob as well. but wait there is more
oh bother now i have upset some mother with an ankle biter that has a snotty/runny nose
Ar stuff it. oh no now i have upset women that dont want to get--
well you know what i mean
indian giver well we use that too.
redskins footy team. well thats debatable, they throw the ball mare than they kick it. now i have upset the gridiron mob you can watch them and purchase supporters clobber down here. ban the stuff i say ban it.
barry's wife michelle. classic case of foot and mouth disease
and the rest of the world has gone bloody troppo with P BLOODY C
SO in good old Aussie slang stuff the bloody lot of them
now i have upset everyone
still on a roll i can add to that
that your PC and foxtrot off
better bugga orf i need fluid imput after this speech

edit on 24-6-2014 by pronto because: bloody kiwi keyboard opps just upset me cousin

edit on 24-6-2014 by pronto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

It's posts like that that make me want to immigrate.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

The big question: how does this tiny, carcinogenic minority inflict such needless paralysis on language and social interaction of well meaning people?

That's a good question. Social engineering, would be about the only answer I could provide.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

No not all of them, not even close. If an offensive word is included in the dictionary, it is included in the description, most offensive words are excluded. There is no point system, the people who study language know how the word is used and in what context. They know if a word is supposed to be derogatory or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: pronto

It's posts like that that make me want to immigrate.

G,day Beezzer.
glad you got a smile from the reply
cobs your welcome down here anytime
thought i had better add
the only thing you have to watch out for done here is Bally's bloody great hormone infested roo floggin your beer and causing youto flip out

edit on 24-6-2014 by pronto because: i just had too

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join