It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I'm 3/4 Gypsy, and this bothers me not at all.

A question. Is it because people don't know the root of the word? No ill intent?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
nvm. This "discussion" is too stupid for words.

But BH, it's a discussion about words used stupidly.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I'm 3/4 Gypsy, and this bothers me not at all.

A question. Is it because people don't know the root of the word? No ill intent?

I believe it's all about intent. Yes. I also believe that words in and of themselves have no power. We give them their power by our reactions to them.
edit on 6/24/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

But BH, it's a discussion about words used stupidly.

Words.

PC.

It's all about and only about words.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I haven't heard that word/term used in a very long time, not since I was a kid and my stepdad talked like that and used derogatory terms in reference to different cultures, etc. He was from the Depression era and it was normal for him and those of his generation I guess. Very different times indeed.

I think I would have said "I got ripped off" instead. Well, I know I would have said it like that rather than the other because it seems like something a kid would say but that's just my opinion. Another good reminder of the power of words. They are important.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

PC. It's all about and only about words.

Yup. When I turn on my PC, its all about words. Reading them. Writing them.

Never used the word gyp though...until now.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating

PC. It's all about and only about words.

Yup. When I turn on my PC, its all about words. Reading them. Writing them.

Never used the word gyp though...until now.

That's the point I'm trying to make here.

If I had heard the First Lady's speech, I'd not have given it a seconds thought.

But in our current society, every word seems suspect. Any slight, any offense can be taken.

(can I say "taken"? Abductees might get offended)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You have to wonder how long it will be until calling someone an "ATSer" is deemed offensive.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

can I say "taken"? Abductees might get offended

It`s just a matter of politeness and respect not to use words like "taken" (until the Abductee leaves the room). Also, it's not "Abductee", its "Temporarily Relocated Person".

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Racial slurs...
I believe racism is dead for the greatest part but for some reasons folks just try to make it a dividing issue.
I see more comedy than anything.
My favorite skit in "Family Guy" has the main character Peter wanting to be jewish and he is at the synagogue explaining his recent business dealing and how well he did.
He said, to the guys around him, "Then I us'd him down on his price"!
Good stuff.
I hate racism, nascar has to go.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

You might think so, but this goes along with something that happened in my MMO days. I played City of Heroes, so part of the game was coming up with character names. After a while, it was actually hard to do because yours had to be unique.

There was a thread on the CoX forums once about a player who had Spook as part of their name. As players are wont to do, the team this person was on abbreviated the character name down to one word for ease of typing it. In this case, it was Spook. This game had a profanity filter that would "bleep" out words and phrases it deemed potentially offensive with the comic equivalent for flavor.

So, as time went on in this team, the player in question kept seeing people referring to #@!%# or similar and was confused. It took them almost the whole play session to realize that not only were the others referring to them, but that they had short-handed the character name to Spook which was, for some reason, deemed offensive by the filter. They asked and no one on the team knew why.

An Internet search turned up that it was apparently an old racial slur that none of them had known, but now, thanks to someone, somewhere getting their panties in a wad and getting that word added to the filter, a whole group of eight more people now know that Spook is an old racial slur.

Sometimes, it's not the person's intent that matters, but it's what the person who hears the word decides to make of it that counts.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is bonkers! So from now on i cant say something like the phrase "nipped in the bud" without offending both the Japanese and the hippies?

I had no idea gypped was even derived from gypsy. Maybe we should all just hand our tongues in and be done with it. Ewww, I just imagined a pile of the worlds 6 billion odd tongues.... Ruined my morning coffee now!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have to admit, the "slur" that cracks me up every time is "jewing" someone down WRT haggling, because when I heard it growing up, I heard it as "chewing" someone down and thought that was weird & funny as hell. I've never been able to shake the mis-association.

No offense intended to any of our Jewish members, it just crossed my mind from the childhood abyss and gave me a giggle.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The poster is being silly and knows that if you are slightly off white that you cannot do anything that could be termed racist else we would have none white prosecutions for such cases.

Nope we are all the same under the skin except for the case of being a racist because only whites can do that.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
not as noticeable of a slur...but still a slur - not the language our "first lady" should be using.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here's a thought. What if she uses it now that she knows what it means THEN we castigate her?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I seen the Thread Title.... "First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It"

I am totally relieved that you did not say ...
...And "'She" gets away with it...

one thing very important to Obama is his crusade to remedy all the negativity surrounding the 'Transvestite" people in the USA..
which may very well be a subject ~very close to home~ for the Oval Office Occupant

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Perhaps we should all just change our language into numbers.

Numbers aren't offensive.

. . . . . thinks abut it. . . .

Except for the number 51.

Never trusted that number!

(shakes fist at the number 51!)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
I got an excellent deal when I had a transmission rebuilt a few years back, I joked that I got Hebrew on their @$$es.
None of my friends and acquaintances ever seemed to be hurt, even the jewish ones.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Here's a thought. What if she uses it now that she knows what it means THEN we castigate her?

*sigh*

Then I'd still defend her.

Intrepid, why would you make me defend her?

WHY!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join